John 3:16 and God's love

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Perry

Re: John 3:16 and God's love

Post by Perry » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 am

mattrose wrote: It's not 'sooooooo' like a passionate love (eros?)

It is more like "God loved the world like so (in this manner)"
I agree. I've always linked this verse with Romans 5:8.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 pm

But it would seem that according to Paidion's open-theism God could not know who would eventually come to love him and who would not. And if his universalism is true, His Son only dies for those who will come to love Him.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 pm

He may not know when they will make that choice, but He knows that all people will eventually submit to Him and love Him, for He will do whatever it takes to bring them to Himself.

Yes, of course, His Son died only for those who will come to love Him because there ARE NO OTHERS for whom to die!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Bud

Post by Bud » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:06 am

I was wondering about the idea that it is a greater love to die for all and not just your friends when I remembered,
John 15:13, Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

The idea above has some logical merit but then there's what Jesus says here.

Just thought I'd add this to the "fray"

Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:08 pm

I was wondering about the idea that it is a greater love to die for all and not just your friends when I remembered,
John 15:13, Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

But then again,
"If you love those who love you , what credit is that to you?" Luke 6.32

"But love your enemies, do good to them" 6.35

"Be merciful , just as your Father is merciful" 6.36

Just as your Father is merciful! If Jesus only died for those who love him now, God and Jesus are not on the same page.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Correct, Steve. It's not that Jesus died only for those who love Him now, but also for those who shall love Him at some point — and the union of those two groups is collectively exhaustive. There's no one else.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”