Preaching in Acts and Christology

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
javelinadad

Re: Preaching in Acts and Christology

Post by javelinadad » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Jesus, the infant born one night in the town of Bethlehem, was a son. Every male infant born is a son.

A son of both the mother and father responsible for the fertilized egg of the human species.

There's plenty of scripture that addresses who the father of the infant was. (is)

Jesus is The son of The father. If we would call The Father of of the infant "God" and be accurate, then why would we be inaccurate in calling the infant The son of God?

God, The Father, is the Father of The Son of God.

I'm not trying to be trite. Nor am I defending the concept of The Trinity. Although I've always been comfortable with The Trinity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:59 pm

From the Nicene Creed (A.D. 325)

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible; and in one Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, the only-begotten, born of the Father before all ages.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:27 am

Paidion wrote:From the Nicene Creed (A.D. 325)

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible; and in one Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, the only-begotten, born of the Father before all ages.
What’s your point, Paidion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:22 pm

My point is that the early Christians understood that Jesus is the Son of God in virtue of the fact that He was begotten by God before all ages, the first of God's acts. I haven't looked it up again yet, but that was taught long before the Nicene Creed in A.D. 325. It was the early Christian understanding from the beginning.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:37 am

Paidion wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:22 pm
My point is that the early Christians understood that Jesus is the Son of God in virtue of the fact that He was begotten by God before all ages, the first of God's acts. I haven't looked it up again yet, but that was taught long before the Nicene Creed in A.D. 325. It was the early Christian understanding from the beginning.
So I can buy that the earliest Christians believed He was the Son of God due to being begotten by God. But, the "before all ages" part needs a citation earlier than Nicea. I don't put much faith in the Nicene creed, at least in this respect since what the reason for that language was to ensure it wasn't an "act" of begetting (whether a first act or not), but an eternal begetting (something that is nonsensical to my mind). Also, I don't consider 325 to be "the" "early" Christian understanding.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Darin wrote:So I can buy that the earliest Christians believed He was the Son of God due to being begotten by God. But, the "before all ages" part needs a citation earlier than Nicea.
Justin Martyr lived from A.D. 100 to A.D. 165. I cannot find the requited citation, but he made the statement that Christ was begotten by God before all ages.
Paidion

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”