God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dwight92070

Re: Jesus is God

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:39 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:42 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:46 am
How is it possible that Jesus knows whats going on in heaven when a sinner repents? He didn't say, "Thus says the Lord", so it wasn't a prophetic word or a word of knowledge by the Holy Spirit. In fact, He never says "Thus says the Lord", because He IS the LORD.

In verse 10, He says again: "Likewise I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."
Again, how does He know how what happens in the presence of the angels of God, when a sinner repents? It's almost as if He knows because He has been there, and has seen the angels do just that - most likely during the days of the Old Covenant or even before that?

In Matthew 18:10-14, He also spoke the parable of the 100 sheep. The context there is that He is speaking of little children. We see that in verses 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10. In fact, verse 10 says:

"Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven."

How does Jesus know that little children have angels? And how does He know that their angels ALWAYS see the face of His Father who is in heaven? Apparently He had seen those angels do just that.

These are not the words of someone who is simply a man. NO man had such knowledge before Jesus or since Jesus - to tell us what is going on in heaven, UNLESS they were seeing a vision like Isaiah or Ezekiel or given a revelation like John and the book of Revelation.

But there's no indication of either a vision here or a revelation. Both of these supernatural occurrences were obvious in those three books.

But they are not obvious here. Here, He speaks as if He has first-hand knowledge, like He had been there, and had seen those things in heaven.

Which means that He pre-existed and that He was and is more than human. Of course we know He is God.

As an aside, Matthew 18:14 says, "Even so it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish."

Besides showing us again that He had knowledge that no other man has ever had, this also clearly debunks that evil doctrine, Calvinism, which says that God has chosen who would be saved and who would be lost, without their free will entering into the equation at all.
We clearly just think different from one another - it's clear that he knows such things because the Father revealed them to him (through the Spirit). That's not very controversial. Even Trinitarians believe he emptied himself of his divine prerogatives such as omniscience and so forth. Don't the apostles even talk about heaven and such? I don't see any inference of "first hand knowledge" as you suggest. He speaks as of someone who has special knowledge of the spiritual realms. He was, after all, a prophet (even if not "just" a prophet).
Dwight -That's exactly what I said is NOT clear. There was no need for the Father to reveal anything to Him through the Spirit. The Father was abiding IN HIM. "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own iniative, but the Father abiding in Me DOES HIS WORKS. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me ..." When Jesus speaks, it is the Father speaking "DOING HIS WORKS." John 14:10-11

Dwight -The only place I know of that tells us that He emptied Himself is Philippians 2:7. Please tell me what verse in Philippians or anywhere else tells us that He emptied Himself of HIs omniscience. There's only one thing that He admitted that He didn't know - the time of His 2nd Coming. It appears that He knew everything else. Please tell me where any apostle tells us what they know or have seen in heaven. You talk as though it was commonplace for them to speak of things in heaven. If that's true, show me where. The only possible place is in Revelation, which clearly tells us, even by the name of the book itself, that John had all those things revealed to him, not by the Holy Spirit, but apparently through an angel, sent by Jesus It does NOT say that the things that Jesus knew and spoke about heaven and the angels were revealed to Him through the Holy Spirit or God. Rather, when Jesus spoke of those things, it was the Father speaking "doing His works" in Jesus. He was definitely expressing first hand knowledge, because He was God in the flesh. You are quite mistaken.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:38 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:39 pm
Dwight -That's exactly what I said is NOT clear. There was no need for the Father to reveal anything to Him through the Spirit. The Father was abiding IN HIM. "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own iniative, but the Father abiding in Me DOES HIS WORKS. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me ..." When Jesus speaks, it is the Father speaking "DOING HIS WORKS." John 14:10-11

Dwight -The only place I know of that tells us that He emptied Himself is Philippians 2:7. Please tell me what verse in Philippians or anywhere else tells us that He emptied Himself of HIs omniscience. There's only one thing that He admitted that He didn't know - the time of His 2nd Coming. It appears that He knew everything else. Please tell me where any apostle tells us what they know or have seen in heaven. You talk as though it was commonplace for them to speak of things in heaven. If that's true, show me where. The only possible place is in Revelation, which clearly tells us, even by the name of the book itself, that John had all those things revealed to him, not by the Holy Spirit, but apparently through an angel, sent by Jesus It does NOT say that the things that Jesus knew and spoke about heaven and the angels were revealed to Him through the Holy Spirit or God. Rather, when Jesus spoke of those things, it was the Father speaking "doing His works" in Jesus. He was definitely expressing first hand knowledge, because He was God in the flesh. You are quite mistaken.
Not clear to you, but clear to most

I don't actually see "emptying" in the same way so I don't have a passage for you - as I noted, this is what most trinitarians believe.

I do believe it was the Father doing things "through" Jesus. But, he does the same through us. Very much in the same was we are in Christ and Christ is in us. You actually sound more like a Unitarian on this post - you typically say Jesus just "is" the Father - now you're saying the Father is working through Jesus. That's quite a bit of a different position. Also, a little further in v23, it says the Father himself will make his home in us, along with Jesus. That doesn't mean we are God any more than it meant Jesus was God.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:40 am

darinhouston wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:38 am
dwight92070 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:39 pm

Not clear to you, but clear to most

I don't actually see "emptying" in the same way so I don't have a passage for you - as I noted, this is what most trinitarians believe.

Dwight - Why does it matter what most trinitarians believe? Yes, I do believe in a Godhead that is a Trinity or the Trinity, but I'm not bound to accept every belief that most trinitarians hold about the Trinity. The Bible does not say that Jesus emptied Himself of His omniscience, so why would Trinitarians, or anyone else say that?

I do believe it was the Father doing things "through" Jesus. But, he does the same through us.

Dwight -No, I do not believe the Father does things through us in the same way He did through Jesus, as if we are no different than Jesus.

You actually sound more like a Unitarian on this post - you typically say Jesus just "is" the Father - now you're saying the Father is working through Jesus.

Dwight -The apostle John basically said the same thing. He said the Word "just is" or was God and the Word was "with God". So if you want to tag me with a label - how about a "Biblelarian"? What label do you identify with?

Also, a little further in v23, it says the Father himself will make his home in us, along with Jesus. That doesn't mean we are God any more than it meant Jesus was God.

Dwight - You actually hit on a very good verse here. It definitely doesn't mean that we are God. Regarding Jesus, however, it definitely is another scripture revealing to us that He IS God! What man can dwell in another man, much less millions of other men? Only the man Jesus can do that - oh yes, there is One other - GOD can do that too! Of course, because Jesus IS God!

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:43 am

Darin,

You wrote:

Besides if it's pre-existence and he was God, then it seems ridiculous to mention him being in the form of who he was. He would have just said "although he existed as God".

Philippians 2:6-7 NASB
6. who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7.but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

Following your thinking, wouldn't it have been equally ridiculous to have not simply said "He became a man"? Since likeness (homoioma) refers to a resemblance and not essence, by following your method it could just as well be argued He only appeared to be a man.

I'm not thinking you are a gnostic.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:05 pm

Homer wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:43 am
Darin,

You wrote:

Besides if it's pre-existence and he was God, then it seems ridiculous to mention him being in the form of who he was. He would have just said "although he existed as God".

Philippians 2:6-7 NASB
6. who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7.but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

Following your thinking, wouldn't it have been equally ridiculous to have not simply said "He became a man"? Since likeness (homoioma) refers to a resemblance and not essence, by following your method it could just as well be argued He only appeared to be a man.

I'm not thinking you are a gnostic.
I appreciate your logic there - but there's a difference between being "in the form of GOD" (a being) and talking about the likeness that he had among men, generally. It would be silly to say "made in the likeness of Jesus" - but, you do have something of a point. Both are probably a literary device.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:48 am

"No servant can serve two masters ... you cannot serve God and wealth." Luke 16:13

Nor can you serve God and someone who is not God - that would be two masters.

But since Jesus is God, we only have One Master.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:17 am

Dwight,

This is a text book example of equivocation. No Unitarian advocates disdaining Jesus to only love and serve God the father. That's just not what they are saying, so your second statement is just false in the way you formulated it.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:55 am

1 Timothy 6:14-16 " ... until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He (Jesus) will bring about at the proper time ..."

So Paul is clearly saying that Jesus does know NOW when His 2nd coming will be, even though He didn't know that when He was on earth.

But continuing the verses: " - He who is the blessed and ONLY Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who ALONE possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see ..."

Who is the ONLY Sovereign? Well, we know God is, but here Paul said that Jesus is. And if there was any doubt about that, Paul tells us exactly who He is: the King of kings and Lord of lords, which is also the title given to "The Word of God (Jesus from John 1)" in Revelation 19:13 and verse 16: "And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, "King of kings and Lord of lords".

Who is the ONLY One who possesses immortality? Only God possesses immortality, but here Paul says that ONLY Jesus possesses immortality.

So Jesus is the blessed and ONLY SOVEREIGN and He ALONE POSSESSES IMMORTALITY. Therefore we know that He is God.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:30 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:55 am
1 Timothy 6:14-16 " ... until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He (Jesus) will bring about at the proper time ..."

So Paul is clearly saying that Jesus does know NOW when His 2nd coming will be, even though He didn't know that when He was on earth.

But continuing the verses: " - He who is the blessed and ONLY Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who ALONE possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see ..."

Who is the ONLY Sovereign? Well, we know God is, but here Paul said that Jesus is. And if there was any doubt about that, Paul tells us exactly who He is: the King of kings and Lord of lords, which is also the title given to "The Word of God (Jesus from John 1)" in Revelation 19:13 and verse 16: "And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, "King of kings and Lord of lords".

Who is the ONLY One who possesses immortality? Only God possesses immortality, but here Paul says that ONLY Jesus possesses immortality.

So Jesus is the blessed and ONLY SOVEREIGN and He ALONE POSSESSES IMMORTALITY. Therefore we know that He is God.
I believe the "He" referenced here is the Father. I believe here it is saying that it is the Father who will bring about the appearing of Jesus Christ. And that the only sovereign and the immortal king of kings and lord of lords (at least in this passage) is the Father. It is He who has never been seen. Obviously, we've seen Jesus.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:37 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:30 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:55 am

I believe the "He" referenced here is the Father. I believe here it is saying that it is the Father who will bring about the appearing of Jesus Christ. And that the only sovereign and the immortal king of kings and lord of lords (at least in this passage) is the Father. It is He who has never been seen. Obviously, we've seen Jesus.
At least you're consistent, but I believe wrong. The One who brings about the 2nd coming is the same One who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords - who we know has to be Jesus, since He is the only one in the scripture identified as the Word of God - and the Word of God is identified as King of kings and Lord of lords. Then this verse informs us that that same One is the blessed and ONLY Sovereign.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”