Jesus is God

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
commonsense

Re: Jesus is God

Post by commonsense » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:14 am

darinhouston wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am
I don't think it's necessary or helpful to focus on Mel's obedience.
Maybe not. But, obedience to God's Law is part of the priesthood and the testimony of God. You live according to the Spirit and lead by example.
darinhouston wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am

Saying "he lives on" doesn't not imply immortality. We can't be sure how much of this is literal or figurative or in what sense he can be said to live on, but immortality is even further. It could be that he was taken like Elijah or otherwise, but most scholars (even Trinitarian ones) simply don't believe he is Jesus.
Those who preach the unchanging Law of God live on. Though they physically die( as all human beings do) their voices still speak ( Hebrews 11:4)

Regarding Hebrews 7:8, I have to agree that it is a bit confusing. But what I do know is this: False prophets and false teachings are eventually exposed.And trees that bear bad fruit are cut off.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 am

Darin, I can imagine that your wedding ceremony took a long time, since when your wife said "I do", you said, "Hold on a minute, I have to consult a dictionary and a commentary to see what she meant by that." Then the pastor asked, "Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?", you asked him, "What exactly do you mean by 'Lawfully wedded?' - that can be taken several ways. Let me get back with you." It must have been a long day.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 am

In Romans 1:1, Paul said he was set apart for the gospel of God, but in verse 9 he says, "For God whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, ..." So was Paul preaching the gospel of the Father or of the Son?

In Romans 15:16 Paul said that he was ministering as a priest the gospel of God, but in verse 19 he says that he had fulled preached the gospel of Christ. Was Paul confused as to whose gospel he was to preach - the Father's or the Son's?

In 2 Corinthians 10:14, Paul says "... for we were the first to come even as far as you in the gospel of Christ;", but in 2 Corinthians 11:7, he says "... because I preached the gospel of God to you without charge?" Again, was Paul preaching the gospel of Christ, the Son, or was he preaching the gospel of God, the Father?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus...(1Timothy 2:5 ESV)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:43 am

Paidion wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus...(1Timothy 2:5 ESV)
1 Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. (and so on throughout the Bible)

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:32 pm

1 Timothy 1:12 "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord ..." Verse 14 "and the grace of our Lord ...and love which are found in Christ Jesus." Verse 15 "... Christ Jesus came into the world..." Verse 16 "...Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience ...for those who would believe in Him for eternal life."

So Jesus is the person being discussed here in verses 12,14,15 and 16, not the Father. So we know that Paul continues in verse 17, also referring to Jesus: "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen."

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:09 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 am
In Romans 1:1, Paul said he was set apart for the gospel of God, but in verse 9 he says, "For God whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, ..." So was Paul preaching the gospel of the Father or of the Son?

In Romans 15:16 Paul said that he was ministering as a priest the gospel of God, but in verse 19 he says that he had fulled preached the gospel of Christ. Was Paul confused as to whose gospel he was to preach - the Father's or the Son's?

In 2 Corinthians 10:14, Paul says "... for we were the first to come even as far as you in the gospel of Christ;", but in 2 Corinthians 11:7, he says "... because I preached the gospel of God to you without charge?" Again, was Paul preaching the gospel of Christ, the Son, or was he preaching the gospel of God, the Father?
Dwight, Paul was preaching the gospel of God, the gospel of the Father Abraham and the gospel of the Son. They are all one and the same gospel.
The gospel was preached beforehand to Abraham(Gal. 3:8)

"He who is joined to the Lord is one Spirit." This verse might clear up a lot of confusion about the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:10 am

commonsense wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:09 pm

Dwight, Paul was preaching the gospel of God, the gospel of the Father Abraham and the gospel of the Son. They are all one and the same gospel.
The gospel was preached beforehand to Abraham(Gal. 3:8)

Dwight -I will assume that you meant the gospel was preached TO Abraham, not the gospel OF Abraham. Abraham was not crucified for us. But the point is that the gospel of God, as you said, and the gospel of Jesus "are all one and the same gospel", because Jesus is God.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:26 am

Romans 14:10 Paul says "For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God." Yet in 2 Corinthians 5:10, Paul says "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ."
We know from John 5:22 that "the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son" but the judgment seat of God and the judgment seat of Christ are the same, according to Paul. Jesus is God.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:32 am

Someone on this thread made an excellent point about Matthew 28:19 where Jesus said: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name (singular) of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit ..." The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are a singular entity, and yet they are three persons.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”