Presence of God (From Eden through Egypt)

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
darinhouston

Presence of God (From Eden through Egypt)

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 pm

I haven't dug into this yet, but I was wondering what some of you might think as I consider it further.

Our family is doing a devotional on God's Presence. We started with Eden, moved to the Tabernacle and Temple, on to Christ and the Church, and will move on to eternity. But, one thing that struck me was the time period between God's presence in the Garden and then again with the Tabernacle and Temple....

So, in what "way" did God dwell or tabernacle with His people between the time Adam and Eve were barred from the Garden until the Israelites were instructed to build a Tabernacle so that he could dwell with them (and during exile)? I know Joseph said Yahweh was "with him" but "how?"

commonsense

Re: Presence of God (From Eden through Egypt)

Post by commonsense » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:23 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:29 pm
So, in what "way" did God dwell or tabernacle with His people between the time Adam and Eve were barred from the Garden until the Israelites were instructed to build a Tabernacle so that he could dwell with them (and during exile)? I know Joseph said Yahweh was "with him" but "how?"
Darin, God doesn't change. He dwells with us in the same way He has always dwelt on earth, in the hearts and minds of the people.
"Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?
" God does not live in a house made by human hands."
We may construct buildings and inhabit cities and lands, but if the hearts of the people who live (or assemble) there aren't with God, then the places become "a haunt for jackals" , wastelands, "dry deserts" etc.etc.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:45 am

I don't know. I think there is a way God dwells with man now that was different before Christ and it's a real presence not just in our hearts and minds and different still in eternity (restoring Creation as the Temple for His presence that Eden had been). Restoring personal presence and relationship was the whole point of His life and death and resurrection, wasn't it? Today, we looked at passages from the OT where God was said to have been "with" Joseph, Gideon, Isaac, and so forth. So, I get that "with" isn't quite the same thing as "presence" and "relationship," (e.g., aligned with or on their side) but how could God have been "WITH" them in any real way that they could "experience God" between Eden and Tabernacle? The whole point of the Tabernacle/Temple/Immanuel was to provide a way for God to dwell on earth before restoring His people to be (collectively) His Temple, and ultimately all of Creation?

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 pm

Darin, I don't believe in the original sin theory so my perspective is different. Being " with" them is the same thing as presence and relationship to me.
God doesn't live in a church building. Nor did He live in a material temple/tabernacle built by human hands, like some kind of wizard of Oz. He is a Spirit who lives in the hearts of human beings.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:00 pm

commonsense wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 pm
Darin, I don't believe in the original sin theory so my perspective is different. Being " with" them is the same thing as presence and relationship to me.
God doesn't live in a church building. Nor did He live in a material temple/tabernacle built by human hands, like some kind of wizard of Oz. He is a Spirit who lives in the hearts of human beings.
commonsense, He clearly "filled/dwelt in" the tabernacle/Temple - it didn't "contain" Him because nothing can contain God. But, that doesn't mean His spirit wasn't present there as the way people were able to be aware of His presence.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:06 am

Darin,

It seems that God's presence happens in a special way when His people gather together in His name.

Leviticus 9: 22-24

22 Then Aaron lifted up his hands toward the people and blessed them, and he stepped down after making the sin offering and the burnt offering and the peace offerings. 23 Moses and Aaron went into the tent of meeting. When they came out and blessed the people, the glory of the Lord appeared to all the people. 24 Then fire came out from before the Lord and consumed the burnt offering and the portions of fat on the altar; and when all the people saw it, they shouted and fell on their faces.

Matthew 18:19-21

19 “Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”