Who is the Alpha & Omega?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dwight92070

Re: Who is the Alpha & Omega?

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:55 am

What you said is very clear. The misrepresentation and lack of honesty is in assuming that one knows my motives.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:53 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:55 am
What you said is very clear. The misrepresentation and lack of honesty is in assuming that one knows my motives.
...says the one who spins anything said that he doesn't like in the worst, most uncharitable, most unchristlike way possible, then uses it to try to create discord where none need exist.

Some time ago I banned you for a week, hoping that it would give you a reason to think about your behavior on this forum and whether it's appropriate for a Christian or a Christian forum (and also just to give the rest of us a little break from it). After that you did improve your behavior for a while (demonstrating that you understand what's expected here), but at some point it became clear that you hadn't taken the opportunity to learn the lesson; presumably the temporary good behavior was just to avoid being banned again. Apparently that wore off some time ago, because your behavior has gotten just as caustic as it was before.

Which brings us down to today. It's now clear you don't intend to interact with others in a way that's appropriate for a Christian or wanted on this forum, even though you clearly understand at least the latter. Just about the last thing I want to do is to have to be a cop or a babysitter to those who are old enough know better, and I will not be forced into that role, nor will I let that inappropriate behavior slide forever while it does real damage here. So...

I don't have time or energy to deal with this at the moment, but unless you or someone else can give me a really good reason not to before I get back to it, I'm considering just banning you permanently and being done with it. I don't understand why you insist on interacting the way you do on a forum where you know it's not wanted, but there are a number of other Christian (nominally, if not behaviorally) forums where it seems to be the norm, where it seems you'd be happier. And we'll be happier without it, so it seems like a win-win for everyone.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:05 pm

I think we should all be entitled to our opinions even if we don’t like the other guy’s.

You should only ban for direct attacks, and I’ve been on the end of over-zealous mods silencing me at every turn.

I may feel Dwight is misguided but he should still have the freedom of speech to dissent.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Otherness

Post by Otherness » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:40 pm

I agree with dizerner. I call Dwight my dear brother because he is. I hope you will let him stay. Our salvation begins in grace, is sustained in grace, and is perfected in grace.

Dwight, the grace of God be with you.

Your brother,

john

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:10 pm

dizerner wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:05 pm
I think we should all be entitled to our opinions even if we don’t like the other guy’s.
Absolutely. As you know, this forum has always welcomed discussion of differing views. But of course that's not the issue here.
You should only ban for direct attacks, and I’ve been on the end of over-zealous mods silencing me at every turn.
You may not be aware that Dwight has a long history here of hypocritical accusations and personal attacks (meaning, he's quick to accuse others, when he's the only one doing any personal attacks), and of trying to turn things acrimonious and adversarial at seemingly every opportunity. He even does it to me when I try to explain to him how inappropriate it is here. As noted, he's demonstrated that he does understand what's expected here, but keeps pushing past it anyway. It's not just an occasional slip-up and apology, it's a long-term pattern that he's demonstrated he doesn't intend to change. Is that the sort of thing you've had trouble with from overzealous mods?

Ultimately, the opinions of those who still interact with Dwight will carry a lot of weight, but I'd like to hear from a couple more of you (or others). Private message is fine if someone doesn't want to post publicly. I posted publicly because, with so few active users and so little activity left here anymore, I figured an open discussion among the few affected is appropriate.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:22 pm

I was told everything I posted was an “attack” even when others did the same thing. There is an interpretive element there, and one must be careful not to act out of rancor or bad feelings.

Otherness

Post by Otherness » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:26 pm

My position on this, being the latest recipient of Dwight's “rancor,” is that this is a problem in the family. I would rather “work on it” than let it alienate a fellow member of Christ's Body...Jesus certainly deserves any labor here.

The thing is, I'm actually sympathetic to Dwight's position in principle, and I would rather that what I say would be challenged and probed with reasoned responses. As I said in earlier posts I held these “insights” in my heart for more than a couple of decades before I even attempted to share them knowing that they were so difficult to put into words. I am merely one witness in an innumerable multitude and I expect that whatever I say must be able to endure the trial of other witnesses. I chose to talk “the way I talk” about the “things I'm talking about” on this Forum because of the great respect I have for this Ministry, and for the kind if thinking that goes on here.

Dwight, if your listening, please use me as “a foil” to work on whatever issues keep cropping up in your communications here on the Forum. You might even be able to help me get these purely “spiritual ideas” enfleshed a little better. Critical thinking is always to be preferred to just criticizing.

All to the glory of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:08 pm

Yeah, I think it’s more the “form” of your communication, than the substance.

A “style” issue if you will.

Is it really a sin to be poetic or flamboyant?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:04 pm

dizerner wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:08 pm
Yeah, I think it’s more the “form” of your communication, than the substance.

A “style” issue if you will.

Is it really a sin to be poetic or flamboyant?
It's more than style, but not abusive - I find his manner of responding annoying and very frustrating to carry on any sort of meaningful dialogue to get at the crux of whatever point is being discussed, but not something I would ban him over.

The thing is, he brings up good points sometimes and makes me think but often before we can really develop anything to determine if there's any real merit, he seems afraid to lose the argument and does a scattergun in other directions.

From my perspective, he needs to be more humble and recognize that there's at least some even minuscule possibility that he could be proven wrong or there's no reason in arguing. No minds will be changed here without argumentation and sound reasoned defense. If he wants to just beat a drum in hopes of wearing down or change subjects to avoid dialogue, then there's no point in being here. But, I don't think I'd shut it down. Sometimes, I do think a pause is helpful or a third party coming in from time to time to say -- look you're being unreasonable here -- but not a ban.

Just my two cents.

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:09 pm

dizerner wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:22 pm
I was told everything I posted was an “attack” even when others did the same thing.
So a completely different situation then, in fact more or less the opposite.

Anyway, those who have been interacting most with Dwight aren't in favor of booting him, so I'll go with that. Thank you guys for your comments. If I correctly understand what's been said, it seems clear that two of you don't completely understand the core of the issue. But I know Darin does, and also sees the issue much as I do, so his comments have the most impact on my decision.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”