Worship Songs

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
darinhouston

Re: Worship Songs

Post by darinhouston » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:17 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:07 pm
The only way you can love God and the Son of God equally is if the Father and the Son of God are equal.
What's your basis for saying that? And (assuming this is what you mean) why do I need to love them in exactly the same "way" (compared with loving them the same degree)?
dwight92070 wrote:

If the Son of God is not God, then He cannot deserve the same love that God deserves.
Again, why do you relate love to the recipient's status? We are to love others as we love ourselves... we aren't the same as others. And we are to love our enemies. Are we to love them less than our friends?
dwight92070 wrote:
"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and He who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me." Matthew 10:37
"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." Luke 14:26

Jesus demands our utmost love.

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength."

God also demands our utmost love.

We are to love all to the utmost -- we can't do it, but we are called to do so. But, I think you're reading this discourse about mother and father into a context it wasn't meant to relate to.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:56 am

darinhouston wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:17 pm
dwight92070 wrote:
The only way you can love God and the Son of God equally is if the Father and the Son of God are equal.
What's your basis for saying that? And (assuming this is what you mean) why do I need to love them in exactly the same "way" (compared with loving them the same degree)?

Dwight - Okay, I'll try to be more explicit. If you're going to love God and the Son to the same degree, then that requires that God is the Son and the Son is God, because God ALONE deserves our highest or utmost love.
dwight92070 wrote:

If the Son of God is not God, then He cannot deserve the same love that God deserves.
Again, why do you relate love to the recipient's status?

Dwight - Because if the recipient is God, He deserves our highest and our utmost love. If the recipient is not God, although he deserves our love, that love cannot be to the same degree as we love God. That's exactly the message of the Matthew 10:37, Luke 14:26, and Mark 12:30. We cannot serve ( which includes love) two masters. In context, Jesus was speaking of serving (or loving) God and money at the same time. But it also holds true that we cannot serve or love God to the same degree that we serve or love others who are not God. If we did, that's idolatry.

We are to love others as we love ourselves... we aren't the same as others. And we are to love our enemies. Are we to love them less than our friends?

Dwight -That's somewhat off topic. The point is that we are to love God MORE THAN, TO A GREATER DEGREE THAN, either our friends or our enemies.
dwight92070 wrote:
"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and He who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me." Matthew 10:37
"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple." Luke 14:26

Jesus demands our utmost love.

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength."

God also demands our utmost love.

We are to love all to the utmost

Dwight - That's not true. In Matthew 10:37 Jesus says that we are to love Him MORE THAN our father, our mother, our son or our daughter or even our own lives. Then in Luke 14:26, Jesus adds our wife (or our husband), our brothers or our sisters, and again, our own life.

-- we can't do it, but we are called to do so.

Dwight - If we can't do it, then it would be unjust or unfair of Jesus to ask us to do it. The "voices" of the martyrs tell us that we can do it. Will we falter at times, (as I'm sure even the martyrs did)? Of course we will, but if we walk in the Spirit, we can obey Him. If we don't do it perfectly (as none of us can), "the blood of Jesus His Son, cleanses us from all sin." and "He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1John 1:7-9

But, I think you're reading this discourse about mother and father into a context it wasn't meant to relate to.

Dwight - What other context is it speaking of? The only context I see, is a comparison of our love for Jesus and our love for our family members.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:33 pm

Dwight, I really don't know why we have so much trouble communicating. I will only answer your last question -- the specific context is the immediate context of the answer - that of whether he would have split allegiances and prefer or choose something else over serving and following Jesus. Since Jesus is fully aligned with his Father, one can be fully enslaved to Christ while remaining fully enslaved to the Father's will. It's a perfect vertical relationship.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:19 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:33 pm
Dwight, I really don't know why we have so much trouble communicating. I will only answer your last question -- the specific context is the immediate context of the answer - that of whether he would have split allegiances and prefer or choose something else over serving and following Jesus. Since Jesus is fully aligned with his Father, one can be fully enslaved to Christ while remaining fully enslaved to the Father's will. It's a perfect vertical relationship.

Not if Christ is not God. It's idolatry to be voluntarily and fully enslaved to someone who is not God. "No one can serve two masters ..." Matthew 6:24 You cannot serve (love, worship) Jesus and God at the same time, if Jesus is not God. Nowhere does the Bible say that we are to love all people to the utmost. I'm sorry you're having trouble communicating. I don't think I'm having that issue. The Bible doesn't say that He has a "perfect vertical relationship with His Father". Nor does the Bible say that "Jesus is fully aligned with His Father". It says that He is the Father. " ... And His name will be called wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father ..." Isaiah 9:6 "I and the Father are One." John 10:30 "God was manifested in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up in glory."

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:15 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:19 pm

Not if Christ is not God. It's idolatry to be voluntarily and fully enslaved to someone who is not God. "No one can serve two masters ..." Matthew 6:24 You cannot serve (love, worship) Jesus and God at the same time, if Jesus is not God. Nowhere does the Bible say that we are to love all people to the utmost. I'm sorry you're having trouble communicating. I don't think I'm having that issue. The Bible doesn't say that He has a "perfect vertical relationship with His Father". Nor does the Bible say that "Jesus is fully aligned with His Father". It says that He is the Father. " ... And His name will be called wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father ..." Isaiah 9:6 "I and the Father are One." John 10:30 "God was manifested in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up in glory."
It is your presuppositions are keeping us from having a meaningful discussion. I simply don't agree with your assumptions. Until we get through that, we'll continue to talk past each other on the details. Not to be in "debate" mode, but this is the first point in debate - to have a meaningful debate or "constructive argument" (and not just a disagreement), you have to figure out where the first and most fundamental premise is on which you disagree. In this response there appear to be a couple.

The first is whether Jesus is the same person as the Father. We have discussed this at great length and we don't agree with one another - notably, you don't agree with any "Trinitarian" scholar or the church dogmas on the Trinity, either. If we don't agree on that, any more specific points of difference are irrelevant.

The second is whether it is idolatry to be enslaved to Christ if he's not God. Again, I don't agree with this premise and you can't prove it from Scripture. The basic concept of agency and especially royalty bely this. If an agent is completely and perfectly serving the interest of their lord, and especially where our service to the lord is dictated to be carried out in service to the agent, then being completely sold out to that agent is consistent with being fully enslaved to the lord.

With respect to scripture not saying "Jesus is fully aligned with his father," I have pointed out before that this is exactly the way some of the passages we have disagreed on should be interpreted. And, yet, everything must be interpreted in some measure -- first, translated and then interpreted and then applied. Perfect image/representation does mean he's not the thing that's mirrored. It is presumed by the text itself.

And so forth....

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:11 pm

darinhouston wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:15 am
The second is whether it is idolatry to be enslaved to Christ if he's not God. Again, I don't agree with this premise and you can't prove it from Scripture. The basic concept of agency and especially royalty bely this. If an agent is completely and perfectly serving the interest of their lord, and especially where our service to the lord is dictated to be carried out in service to the agent, then being completely sold out to that agent is consistent with being fully enslaved to the lord.
Now, this is just blatantly untrue. That would entail either subsuming the agent as the person of the Lord, or pitting them against each other.

If I send my servant (theoretically) to someone, it's true they stand for me and how they are treated is how I feel I am treated. That does NOT however in ANY way logically equate to them treating and feeling the EXACT SAME WAY about my servant as me. If it came down to my servant or me, I would pick loyalty to me 100% of the time, period, no matter how devoted my servant was. Why do you think we are warned against worshiping angels? What's the big deal, they are "perfectly devoted" servants who get to be treated exactly like God would.

Moses, Samuel, Elijah, David, Paul, none of these "servants" ever even remotely hinted at God demanding we love them more than all creatures and things. The very idea is absurd on the face of it, but I am told to "prove" my point with Scripture when you don't "prove" yours, a double standard. I'm not a Modalist—I didn't know Dwight was one. But the arguments that consistently come from you are really, really poor and you seem to think you are holding the best hand. Show me another "servant" that made the claims of Jesus, first of all. Then show me a verse that says God grants the love, loyalty and glory that belongs only to him, with a servant who is devoted enough.

You won't find one—thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him ONLY shalt thou serve.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:45 pm

darinhouston wrote:
dwight92070 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:19 pm

It is your presuppositions are keeping us from having a meaningful discussion. I simply don't agree with your assumptions. Until we get through that, we'll continue to talk past each other on the details. Not to be in "debate" mode, but this is the first point in debate - to have a meaningful debate or "constructive argument" (and not just a disagreement), you have to figure out where the first and most fundamental premise is on which you disagree. In this response there appear to be a couple.

Dwight -What have I presupposed without backing it up with scripture? What did I assume that is not backed up with scripture? Your differences of interpretation could also be categorized as your presuppositions and your assumptions. But with you, it always seems to be one-sided. You're the expert on debate methods and on how to have a meaningful discussion. And if I don't "fall in line" with the way you say it should be done, then I am at fault. I am always the one who is keeping us from accomplishing anything meaningful. Whether that's intentional or not, all you're doing is focusing on things other than the topic at hand and wasting my time and yours.

The first is whether Jesus is the same person as the Father. We have discussed this at great length and we don't agree with one another - notably, you don't agree with any "Trinitarian" scholar or the church dogmas on the Trinity, either. If we don't agree on that, any more specific points of difference are irrelevant.

Dwight - So here's your "rule" on this issue: If I don't hold to the traditional view of the Trinity, then for me to bring up any of my beliefs that differ with yours or the classic Trinitarian's, become irrelevant. Once again, I'm wasting my time, so I might as well not say anything.

The second is whether it is idolatry to be enslaved to Christ if he's not God. Again, I don't agree with this premise and you can't prove it from Scripture.

Dwight - The scripture's I quoted proved it, but as always, you don't take scripture at face value.

The basic concept of agency and especially royalty bely this.

Dwight - That's your presupposition and your assumption.

If an agent is completely and perfectly serving the interest of their lord, and especially where our service to the lord is dictated to be carried out in service to the agent, then being completely sold out to that agent is consistent with being fully enslaved to the lord.

Dwight - Sounds real intellectual, but the Bible says that there is only ONE that we are to be completely sold out to - not TWO.

With respect to scripture not saying "Jesus is fully aligned with his father," I have pointed out before that this is exactly the way some of the passages we have disagreed on should be interpreted.

Dwight - Should be interpreted? That's your presupposition again. I guess it's not just me that is keeping us from having a meaningful discussion. And this is why, according to you, "we're talking past each other".

Perfect image/representation does mean he's not the thing that's mirrored. It is presumed by the text itself.

Dwight - If that was the only description of Jesus in scripture, I might agree with you, but obviously the full description of Jesus goes far beyond that, even calling Him God.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:18 pm

Have you noticed Colossians 4:1 recently? "Masters, grant to your slaves justice and fairness, knowing that you too have a Master in heaven". Shouldn't Paul have said you have "two Masters in heaven" - The Father and Jesus? You mean that there is only ONE Master in heaven?

How about Ephesians 5:9? "And masters, do the same things to them (slaves), and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, ..." Shouldn't Paul have said, "knowing that both their Masters, the Father and Jesus are in heaven?"

No, there is only ONE Master in heaven, yet we know that both the Father and the Son are there. So which ONE is the Master? Jesus is called "Master" dozens of times in the New Testament. Yet the Father too is the Master. They BOTH are the ONE MASTER in heaven. "I and the Father are ONE."

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:15 pm

dizerner wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:11 pm
darinhouston wrote:
Now, this is just blatantly untrue. That would entail either subsuming the agent as the person of the Lord, or pitting them against each other.

If I send my servant (theoretically) to someone, it's true they stand for me and how they are treated is how I feel I am treated. That does NOT however in ANY way logically equate to them treating and feeling the EXACT SAME WAY about my servant as me. If it came down to my servant or me, I would pick loyalty to me 100% of the time, period, no matter how devoted my servant was. Why do you think we are warned against worshiping angels? What's the big deal, they are "perfectly devoted" servants who get to be treated exactly like God would.

Moses, Samuel, Elijah, David, Paul, none of these "servants" ever even remotely hinted at God demanding we love them more than all creatures and things. The very idea is absurd on the face of it, but I am told to "prove" my point with Scripture when you don't "prove" yours, a double standard. I'm not a Modalist—I didn't know Dwight was one. But the arguments that consistently come from you are really, really poor and you seem to think you are holding the best hand. Show me another "servant" that made the claims of Jesus, first of all. Then show me a verse that says God grants the love, loyalty and glory that belongs only to him, with a servant who is devoted enough.

You won't find one—thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him ONLY shalt thou serve.
OK, perhaps that carried it too far, but blatantly untrue went too far too.
dizerner wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:11 pm
Are slaves to serve their masters? This is a similar problem with how Dwight is taking these verses - just taking them too exclusively. We are to love God with all of our heart - how do we love our neighbor if all our heart is used loving God? In fact, loving our neighbor is how we show our love to God.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:35 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:18 pm
Have you noticed Colossians 4:1 recently? "Masters, grant to your slaves justice and fairness, knowing that you too have a Master in heaven". Shouldn't Paul have said you have "two Masters in heaven" - The Father and Jesus? You mean that there is only ONE Master in heaven?

How about Ephesians 5:9? "And masters, do the same things to them (slaves), and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, ..." Shouldn't Paul have said, "knowing that both their Masters, the Father and Jesus are in heaven?"

No, there is only ONE Master in heaven, yet we know that both the Father and the Son are there. So which ONE is the Master? Jesus is called "Master" dozens of times in the New Testament. Yet the Father too is the Master. They BOTH are the ONE MASTER in heaven. "I and the Father are ONE."
Again, your point is pointless - while analogies always fail, a kid might have two parents - someone might tell a kid to go home and have his parent sign something. I have two bosses above me - someone might say to get permission from my boss at work, though it's equally true I have two bosses (and they aren't equal - one is the ultimate boss).

I think part of the problem is you think so absolutist about these non-didactic points - the Greeks (and the jews) -- (well, the ancients generally) simply didn't think or write in those terms.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”