How Important is Our Brain as a Christian?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
dizerner

Re: How Important is Our Brain as a Christian?

Post by dizerner » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:25 pm

Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:13 NKJ)

People can marvel at your intellect.

Or that you've been with Jesus.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:28 am

dizerner wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:25 pm
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:13 NKJ)

People can marvel at your intellect.

Or that you've been with Jesus.
Nothing in that passage precludes both - consider Paul. They also marveled at Jesus' intellect in the synagogue. A God-given intellect guided by the Holy Spirit glorifies God.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:14 pm

I agree with Darin. So you actually believe that Peter and John spent 3 1/2 years with the GREATEST TEACHER that ever lived, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge, and yet they learned very little? Jesus was constantly making sure that His disciples UNDERSTOOD HIS TEACHING. I know, that does require using your BRAIN to UNDERSTAND that, something that you don't advocate.

Peter said to "prepare your MINDS for action" (1 Peter 1:13); "... to long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may GROW in respect to salvation" (1Peter 2:2)";
"Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the KNOWLEDGE of God and of Jesus our Lord" (2 Peter 1:2)"; "Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, KNOWLEDGE, ..." (2 Peter 1:5); "For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the KNOWLEDGE of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ ..." (2 Peter 2:20); " ... but GROW in the GRACE AND KNOWLEDGE of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ". (2 Peter 3:18)

"I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the WORD OF GOD ABIDES IN YOU, ... (1 John 2:14); "And we KNOW that the Son of God has come, and has given us UNDERSTANDNG so that we may KNOW Him who is true; ..." (1 John 5:20); "I was very glad to find some of your children walking in TRUTH, just as we have received commandment to do from the Father." (2 John 4); "Anyone who goes too far and does not ABIDE IN THE TEACHING OF CHRIST, does not have God; the one who abides in the TEACHING, he has both the Father and the Son". (2 John 9); "For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are WALKING IN TRUTH. I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children WALKING IN THE TRUTH." 3 John 3-4

Your obsession with wanting all Christians to not rely on their brain AND (at the same time) on God who gave them their brain is very cult-like. Given ALL the scriptural evidence for humbly and gratefully USING OUR BRAIN, (the verses above are just a small sample) you have to ignore most of the Bible to believe what you do.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”