Old Account or Present Status?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
selah

Re: Old Account or Present Status?

Post by selah » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Greetings Sue Ann,

You wrote:
Would you mind taking an example from say, Matt. 26:28 where Jesus said, "...My blood...which is shed...for the remission of sins." The margin indicates "remission" can also mean "forgiveness." Is the original Greek word incorrectly interpreted?

I believe the Greek word "aphesis" (using the Roman alphabet) is the nounal form of the verb "aphiemi" whose primary meaning is "leave".
Wow, it does change the meaning of the scripture, doesn't it?

This reminds me of my college loan "forgiveness" package. I've always wondered why they would offer to "forgive" a loan. Now, I'm wondering if it is more like "leaving" a college loan, instead of forgiving it. :) Makes more sense, doesn't it.

Thank you for explaining my passage example. Also, I visited your website and enjoyed the reading. You have opened my eyes to some new concepts! I'm still pretty convinced there is something to "judgment" and "sacrifice" so I need some time to keep reading your work and thinking and praying about it.

One belief looks obvious. You and I believe in the characteristic transforming power of the Love of GOD! :D

Thankful to God for you!

SueAnn*:o)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

JasonR

Post by JasonR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm

HI Paidion,

I really enjoyed reading your post,
What you wrote really seems be in line with Gods character, and interesting to learn about the Greek word "aphiemi"
I may have to reconsider how I have been sharing the Gospel.

Thanks

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Thank you Sue Ann and Jason for your kindness.

I don't have a website, Sue Ann. I actually directed you to the OLD website of this forum.

Having said what I did about the primary meaning of "aphiemi" being "leave" as in:

Matthew 4:22 Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him.
1 Corinthians 7:12 But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not leave her.

I must affirm that "aphiemi" has other meanings as well. It has the meaning "allow":

Matthew 8:22 But Jesus *said to him, "Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead."

Interestingly enough, even in English as it was spoken 60 years or so ago, one might have said, "Leave the dead to bury their dead". The word "leave" (in this sense) and "allow" or "let" were synonyms. Or in Matthew 19:14 "Let the children alone" could be "Leave the children alone" as in current English.

Another of the meanings of "aphiemi" seems to be "to send away" or "to release".

Matthew 27:50 ¶ And Jesus cried again with a loud voice and released his spirit.

So, we must be cautious. For in the development of the use of the word, it did come to mean "forgive" in the usual sense. Hence we have the word used for forgiveness of debt in the NT:

Matthew 18:27 And the lord of that servant, being moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

In other words, he released the servant from his debt.

So "aphiemi" came also to mean to release a person from the wrong he did you, in other words "forgive him". When a person is truly released or forgiven, your relationship with him is restored and so it is just as if he had never wronged you.

Matthew 6:14,15 "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”