Is this why some countries / areas suffer?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
tomc

Is this why some countries / areas suffer?

Post by tomc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 am

In Exodus 20:5 it says "Though shall not bow down thyself to them nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Could it be that countries that are steeped in anti-Christian or anti-Yahweh belief systems have been and are being judged by God for not worshipping him and as a result have been perpetuating this judgement by passing down their belief systems to their children thus perpetuating God's judgement upon their offspring/nations /areas?
I do realize that in other scriptures it is clear that God will not hold the children guilty for their fathers sin anymore and vica versa. I also understand that God was speaking directly to the Nation of Israel while they were in the desert before entering into the promise land. However I was simply wondering about why some nations and areas of the globe seem to be in a constant state of violence,famine, etc... I want to say that my heart truly goes out to these places such as Sudan, Rawanda,Cambodia and so forth and I am not trying to be judgmental at all I am just wrestling with the whole thing. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tom

TK

Re: Is this why some countries / areas suffer?

Post by TK » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 am

hi tomc- the easy asnwer seems to be that if these suffering nations WERE following God, then perhaps their suffering would be less. The more difficult question is why must the children suffer (because they are) for their elders' rebellion against God? I am afraid it has always been this way.

I tend to think of it as not an ACTIVE judgment of God, but rather a passive one, in the sense that He is simply allowing satanic actions of the leaders to take their natural course. I think nothing short of extreme satanic possession/oppression can explain what is going on in parts of Africa.

TK

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:28 am

Hi Tom,

I wrestle with this problem as well. Man, do I wish it was simply black and white, that those who suffer are being punished and those who prosper are being blessed for their faith. Then I wouldn't agonize about starving children or fret about injustice; it would all just be God's judgement, and perhaps I could be considered highly spiritual to turn away muttering to myself, 'they deserve it...'

Too bad nothing is that simple. Who, exactly, are the rejectors of God's grace that have called down this judgement on their nation? Is it the rulers? How would you explain the ascendency of China then? Or post-war Germany and Japan? Is there maybe some "tipping point" in population that appeases God and allows Him to turn his wrath aside? That would explain the China question, perhaps, with the billowing underground church among them.

Would that 'tipping point' then explain the strife in the countries you mentioned? Is there a special number of believer's God is looking for? God said that he would have spared Sodom if there were 10 righteous in the city. Could it be that there are too few believers in those countries? I don't know. I know that in some Scandinavian countries, for example, there are very few who profess to be believers. Why are they seemingly spared judgement?

These are just the thoughts that are swirling around in my brain. I don't really have the answer to the question of why some nations prosper while others seem to be destitute.

Murf

Post by Murf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:57 am

Firstly, I think this verse has to do the Isreal specifically.

Secondly I wonder how bad would things be if God left these nations completely to themselves. I know things could be much better but they could also be much much worse. This helps me to balance the suffering that is occuring.

tim

tomc

Post by tomc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks to you all for your responses. I have to wonder why God has been so patient with our country (assuming that we are all Americans). It makes me very concerned for our children and grandchildren. However, I am not worried cause we all know that God is in absolute control and He isn't wringing His hands. I know that He is just and righteous in all His ways and His love endures for ever. I have to say that it really bugs me when I hear Christians say things like the people in New Orleans or San Francisco had it coming (because of their sin) when a hurricane or an earth quake devistate their city. I think that we are all sinners and quite honestly we are all deserving of God's judgement and for some reason He gives judgement and blessing as He sees fit. I long for the day when I will understand it all !!! Thanks again for your responses, I must have submitted this thing twice or something cause I had 2 topics come up. Oops! God bless.
Tom

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:25 pm

(take two...)

As tomc pointed out, God was talking to His own people – He was their God, they had agreed to be His people, so God would have a right to be jealous & bring judgement if they worshipped other gods, as they were specifically warned.

In reference to the nations in question, steeped in anti-Christian beliefs, I’m wondering if, rather than a direct judgment of God, it may be rather a case of a natural outworking of one of God’s principles – that of reaping & sowing. Without the beneficial influence of God’s righteous precepts in the running of a nation, the results of sinful tendencies in man – greed, selfishness, lack of compassion etc might be very evident and widespread, and be outworked in constant violence, wars and the attendant fallout such as famine etc.
Suzana

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”