Was it sins or was it one sin, adams?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Jim

Was it sins or was it one sin, adams?

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:18 pm

I am wondering why sins is pluralised in scripture when it pertains to the atonement and in fact it seems that Paul could be speaking of only one sin that was covered and its consequences.

Out of curiosity what sin do you think was covered?

looking at the word hamartia.

Thayer Definition:
1) equivalent to 264
1a) to be without a share in
1b) to miss the mark
1c) to err, be mistaken
1d) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour,to do or go wrong
1e) to wander from the law of God, violate God’s law, sin
2) that which is done wrong, sin, an offence, a violation of the divine law in thought or in act
3) collectively, the complex or aggregate of sins committed either by a single person or by many

and its equivalent hamartanō

Thayer Definition:
1) to be without a share in
2) to miss the mark
3) to err, be mistaken
4) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honour, to do or go wrong
5) to wander from the law of God, violate God’s law, sin

A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: perhaps from G1 (as a negative particle) and the base of G3313

meros G3313
Thayer Definition:
1) a part
1a) a part due or assigned to one
1b) lot, destiny
2) one of the constituent parts of a whole
2a) in part, partly, in a measure, to some degree, as respects a part, severally, individually
2b) any particular, in regard to this, in this respect

and

a G1

Thayer Definition:
1) first letter of Greek alphabet
2) Christ is the Alpha to indicate that he is the beginning and the end

This is pertaining to Paul as he speaks about sin, and it looks to me Paul is not speaking of all sin but is speaking of one sin, adams sin which seperated the whole of humanity giving us the reign of death and sin.
This can also cover 1 john 1:7 when scripture says "all sin" which could simply mean the whole of adams sin and its consequence death reigning over us. Then comes along Christ who gives life and has justified all to life...
Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God.

Paidion

Re: Was it sins or was it one sin, adams?

Post by Paidion » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 pm

The angel said to Joseph in a dream,
[Mary] will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." Matthew 1:21

It would be a sad thing if Jesus had not died to deliver us from ALL our sins. If His death did nothing more than to "cover Adam's sin", we would still remain enslaved in ours.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Paidion wrote:The angel said to Joseph in a dream,
[Mary] will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." Matthew 1:21

It would be a sad thing if Jesus had not died to deliver us from ALL our sins. If His death did nothing more than to "cover Adam's sin", we would still remain enslaved in ours.
The same word is used Paidion...

What I think I am getting at is that Jesus came to bring healing from the original wound to humanity, thus your sin(s) our covered. So, if the sin of our corporate head brought condemnation to us all, a deep spiritual wound, Jesus brought reconcilliation as the corporate head and healing. Our individual personal sins, not that of our corporate head that harmed us, is forgiven by our repentance. If, forgiven, truly forgiven, is their really need of a payment? Doesn't that contradict the meaning of forgiveness?

So what I see through Christ, death has been replaced by life, our healing, which as a journey has happened, is happening, and will be completed for those who remain faithful. It seems as if death itself was swallowed up by Jesus.
Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Jim,

You wrote:
If, forgiven, truly forgiven, is their really need of a payment? Doesn't that contradict the meaning of forgiveness?
I do not believe there can be any true forgiveness that is without cost. Our sins amount to a debt to God. He is the injured, or offended party. Although we do not actually harm Him personally, we harm those He loves and we cause him "pain and suffering". And our forgiveness cost Him the suffering and life of His Son.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:21 am

Homer,

I understand what you are saying but how does still owing a debt to God compare to what we learn of God in this parable..

Mat 18:23 Therefore the kingdom of Heaven has been compared to a certain king who desired to make an accounting with his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to count, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But as he had nothing to pay, his lord commanded that he, and his wife and children, and all that he had, be sold, and payment be made.
Mat 18:26 Then the servant fell down and worshiped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me and I will pay you all.
Mat 18:27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion and released him and forgave him the debt.

If this is true, why would God teach us something he himself does not do?

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:54 am

Hi Jim,

Mat 18:27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion and released him and forgave him the debt.

If this is true, why would God teach us something he himself does not do?
But in the parable the servant owed the King a great debt, which would be considered an asset on the King's books. The King forgave the debt, which wiped out what he was owed. By forgiving as he did, the King gave up anything he might have been able to recover.This is a picture of how God forgives us; He internalizes the loss, in the death of His Son! The King could have insisted the servant pay what he could. Likewise we forgive by relinquishing those who sin against us from any repayment.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”