Does conduct determine a Christian's final salvation?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Jon

Re: Does conduct determine a Christian's final salvation?

Post by Jon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:18 pm

jriccitelli wrote: 'geocentrism' (The Catholic dogma of earth as the foundation and center of the Universe. The Church also teaches that the earth does 'not' rotate)
John,

I tried to find an official decree from any Catholic source of dogma to support your claim, but I can't find it. I think it's fair to say that the Catholic Church does NOT teach geocentrism as Catholic dogma, as far as I can tell. Please state your source of this info - I'm looking for a document from the Catholic Church. It is probable that your comment is based on erroneous information meant to keep people wary of the Catholic Church, just as you seem to be by it.

Not everyone here may know what "Catholic dogma" means or when the Church can officially state it, but this is a topic for another day.

Jon

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:26 pm

backwoodsman wrote:
Jon wrote:You should read "Not By Faith Alone" by Robert Sungenis.
A couple minutes with Google and Wikipedia indicate he's a Catholic apologist who is known for, among other things, his stand against the doctrine of salvation by faith alone. I think you'll find that, when speaking to non-Catholic Christians in a forum such as this, making your points from Scripture will be much more effective than appealing to the work of Catholic apologists.

Wikipedia also notes that Sungenis is an advocate of geocentrism. To many, Christian or otherwise, that really impinges on his credibility.
No Catholic believes in salvation by Faith alone unless he is a heretic. That's one of the many things that identify someone as Catholic. RS makes all of his points from scripture, at least in the short version of his book, this is why I mentioned it. There is far too much info to be posted here usefully. It's not a question that can be answered in a few sentences.

I didn't know about and disagree with his stance on geocentrism, but the field of astronomy is completely different than matters of Faith, morals, and Bible interpretation. I've been told once here to focus on the content of the argument, not the man. I would argue the same here. I'll leave arguments against credibility of non-Catholic apologists for another day and thread.

Jon

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 pm

If the professed convert distinctly and deliberately declares that he knows the Lord's will but does not mean to attend to it, you are not to pamper his presumption, but it is your duty to assure him that he is not saved. Do not suppose that the Gospel is magnified or God glorified by going to the worldlings and telling them that they may be saved at this moment by simply accepting Christ as their Savior, while they are wedded to their idols, and their hearts are still in love with sin. If I do so I tell them a lie, pervert the Gospel , insult Christ, and turn the grace of God into lasciviousness.
—Charles Haddon Spurgeon
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”