Personification of Sin (Romans 6 and 7)

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Michelle

Re: Personification of Sin (Romans 6 and 7)

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:35 pm

steve7150 wrote:So, what do you think? Did the rich young ruler rule over sin, or was it his master?

At that point he walked away sad because he could'nt overcome his covetousness of money so sin won round one. But i think later on he repented and became a follower of Jesus and eventually got resurrected by Jesus , so Lazarus overcame and found a new master.
Ah, interesting. I've wanted the rich young ruler to have repented, but I never considered that it was Lazarus.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:30 am

Steve7150,

What makes you think the rich young ruler was Lazarus?

just curious.
Suzana

DanielGracely

Post by DanielGracely » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 am

Michelle wrote:
These verses have been haunting me for weeks:

Genesis 4: 6-7
The LORD said to Cain,"Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it."(ESV)

The idea of sin crouching at the door makes it seem like a force, like something alive. I don't know...
I believe the same Hebrew word is used for "sin" and "sin offering" throughout the Pentateuch (and I suppose all the O.T.). It seems to demonstrate the complete identification of the offering with the sin. Some theologians believe that the "sin" crouching at the door is a reference to a sin offering (such as a lamb) that was physically nearby Cain, which God had provided for Cain to use as a sacrifice. Perhaps Abel himself had put it there under the prompting of God. This may account for the later argument in the field between the brothers. Also, I think the idea of Cain "ruling" over it may be a double entendre here, referring (1) to Cain having governance over this particular sheep made freely available to him, to determine what function it should serve, and (2) to the idea that Cain must decide whether he will master over sin in the continuing obedience which is the result of true repentance.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 am

Steve7150,

What makes you think the rich young ruler was Lazarus?

just curious.

Suzana,
Jesus turned to him and loved him, Jesus loved Lazarus who was the brother of Martha and Mary who probably were the children of Simon the Leper and they lived together in Bethany. If you're interested you can google Ben Witherington and Lazarus.

TK

Post by TK » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am

i also heard the theory he may have been Joseph of Aramathea.

TK

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:50 am

Back on topic a bit, does anyone know of a reference to "righteousness" being personified in the same way (e.g., "righteousness caused me to choose to do right") ?

TK

Post by TK » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:43 pm

darin,

since "none are righteous, no not one" i am not sure how righteousness could be personified in that manner.

Gal. 2:20 may come close, although i am not sure how close it is:
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
He seems to be saying that any good he does is due to the indwelling of the HS.

The equation might look like this:

HS = Righteousness

HS indwells me and compels me to do good.

therefore,

Righteousness compels me to do good.

TK

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”