Personification of Sin (Romans 6 and 7)

Man, Sin, & Salvation
darinhouston

Personification of Sin (Romans 6 and 7)

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:00 pm

I thought sin was the act of disobedience or deviation from God's will, but Romans 6 and 7 suggest sin is an active force (or master) that leads to or causes disobedience or deviation. What's up with that?

steve7150

Re: Personification of Sin (Romans 6 and 7)

Post by steve7150 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:02 pm

I thought sin was the act of disobedience or deviation from God's will, but Romans 6 and 7 suggest sin is an active force (or master) that leads to or causes disobedience or deviation. What's up with that?
darinhouston

I think there are both individual acts of sin and also being a slave to sin in general as Jesus put it. I guess left to our fallen nature we become a slave to sin because we need the Holy Spirit to transform our hearts.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:11 pm

I can see "being a slave to sin" in the sense that I seem to have no alternative than to sin, but Romans 7 further says "sin deceived me" and "it is not me... but sin" and "it is no longer me doing it but sin that lives in me (doing it)."

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:26 pm

I can see "being a slave to sin" in the sense that I seem to have no alternative than to sin, but Romans 7 further says "sin deceived me" and "it is not me... but sin" and "it is no longer me doing it but sin that lives in me (doing it)."

Maybe Paul means his sinful nature (flesh) rather then "sin" being a person. He says "but sin that lives in me" , which sounds like his fallen nature or flesh or sinful desires which always battle with his Spirit man.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:43 pm

These verses have been haunting me for weeks:
  • Genesis 4: 6-7
    The LORD said to Cain,"Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it."(ESV)

The idea of sin crouching at the door makes it seem like a force, like something alive. I don't know...

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:01 pm

The idea of sin crouching at the door makes it seem like a force, like something alive. I don't know...

I don't know either but maybe it's a colorful way of describing our sinful desires, which are a kind of force.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:35 pm

I don't really disagree with you at all, Steve.

I find it very interesting, however, that you are the one pointing out 'sinful nature' and 'sinful desires' as being the best interpretations of these anthropomorphic passages, yet you were also the one arguing on another thread that an overwhelming majority of commandments could be kept mechanically, and that one would have to read into them any involvement of the heart.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:51 pm

I find it very interesting, however, that you are the one pointing out 'sinful nature' and 'sinful desires' as being the best interpretations of these anthropomorphic passages, yet you were also the one arguing on another thread that an overwhelming majority of commandments could be kept mechanically, and that one would have to read into them any involvement of the heart.

Just my opinion on those specific first 9 commandments that they can be kept without the person's heart being into it. When the rich young ruler asked Jesus how to obtain eternal life Jesus acknowledged he kept the commandments, yet he then said "sell everything you have" because Jesus knew the state of his heart.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm

steve7150 wrote:I find it very interesting, however, that you are the one pointing out 'sinful nature' and 'sinful desires' as being the best interpretations of these anthropomorphic passages, yet you were also the one arguing on another thread that an overwhelming majority of commandments could be kept mechanically, and that one would have to read into them any involvement of the heart.

Just my opinion on those specific first 9 commandments that they can be kept without the person's heart being into it. When the rich young ruler asked Jesus how to obtain eternal life Jesus acknowledged he kept the commandments, yet he then said "sell everything you have" because Jesus knew the state of his heart.
So, what do you think? Did the rich young ruler rule over sin, or was it his master?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:21 pm

So, what do you think? Did the rich young ruler rule over sin, or was it his master?

At that point he walked away sad because he could'nt overcome his covetousness of money so sin won round one. But i think later on he repented and became a follower of Jesus and eventually got resurrected by Jesus , so Lazarus overcame and found a new master.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”