keeping Gods comandments

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Dennis007

Re: keeping Gods comandments

Post by Dennis007 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Isaiah 58
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable;
The Sabbath is God’s Holy Day! Sunday has never been and never will be the Lord’s day!

When Luke ends Acts, Paul had just arrived in Rome to start his 2-year imprisonment prior to his execution. Acts ends without mentioning any of the major events above, which indicates that it was written around 60 AD.

Acts 13
14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Acts 16
13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.

Acts 17
2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts 18
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

60 years later, The followers of Jesus are still keeping the Sabbath Day! If Jesus ended Sabbath Keeping, Why are His followers still keeping it 60 years later?

steve

Post by steve » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:57 am

2 Timothy 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

When your belief system is found to contradict scripture, then the belief system is faulty and needs to be adjusted. My belief system has been adjusted and updated many times.
2 Timothy 3:16 says "all scripture." Wouldn't that include the commandments to offer animal sacrifices? They were a part of the scripture. However, the New Testament is also a part of the scriptures. It is not inconsistent to follow the New Testament teaching when it declares that the ceremonial requirements (holy days, holy places, clean and unclean foods, temple sacrifices, etc.) have been fulfilled. In fact, the failure to let the New Testament speak is a violation of one's commitment to "all scripture."
The Sunday going belief system is in major conflict with the 4th Commandment. Instead of correcting their belief system, they look for a Biblical excuse to disregard it. The real problem is: how do you remove the 4th commandment while keeping the other 9 in tact?
I don't know anyone who supports a "Sunday going belief system." I am sure that such people exist, but in order to take such a view, they would have to be as shallow in their understanding of God as those who have a "Saturday going belief system." In the New Testament, the believers met and worshiped every day, not just one day (Acts 2:46).

There was a lengthy thread on this sabbath question, in which every one of your objections and arguments was treated thoroughly. If you are interested in reading that thread, it can be found here: http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
The opening post was mine. For some reason, it has the name "Soaringeagle" as the contributor, but in fact, I was the writer of that first post—as well as some of the follow-up posts on that thread.

As for the ten commandments, you can hear my thoughts, if you are interested in one of these lectures:

http://www.digitalministries.us/steve_g ... eeping.mp3
http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/aut/aut11.mp3
Here is one way to do it. We can lift John 5:18 out of its context and tell everyone “see, Jesus broke the Sabbath! It’s OK for all of us to break it now!

(For those who are interested, — The context of John 5:18 goes back to the Babylonian captivity)
I am interested. Please explain.

Let’s look at some of the problems involved.

Exodus 12
5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year:
Jesus is no longer a lamb without blemish! He is no longer fit to be a sacrifice. The plan of salvation is aborted, and Satan wins!

John 15
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
This plan makes Jesus out to be a liar!

1 John 3
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
Another contradiction, Now John says he didn’t sin. So John is lying to us now, is that right?
You miss the point. Of course Jesus did not sin. He was the Lord of the Sabbath, and was not under its jurisdiction (it was under His). "The rule of law," as we know it today, was deliberately established in contrast to "the rule of kings." Americans did not want there to be kings who were above the law. However, Jesus is not President, but Monarch. The King can exempt Himself from any law that He makes, since the king, not the law, reigns. Jesus was Lord even of the sabbath day (Matthew 12:8). Jesus was also able to declare all foods clean (Mark 7:19/ Acts 10:15), which no one else had the authority to do.

Psalms 111
7 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.
8 They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.
Do they ALL stand fast? Or just 9 of them?
Why do you limit "the commandments" to the ten commandments? There are many commandments of the Lord besides those (including those given by Paul—1 Corinthians 14:37). All of the temple commandments, for example, have outlived their relevance. Have you not heard? There has been "a change of the law" (Hebrews 7:12).
Isaiah 66
23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
If the Sabbath has been done away, why will everyone be keeping it in the new earth?
There is no statement about sabbath observance here. It says that from one sabbath to the next—that is, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and the rest of the days from one Saturday to the next Saturday (i.e., everyday), God's people will worship Him. Why should people worship God only one day a week in the New Earth? That would be a radical reduction in worship vis a vis the present time, when we worship daily and ceaselessly.
After 4,000 years of required Sabbath keeping, then Jesus breaks his own commandment?? So now Jesus is a hypocrite? Is that right? Isn’t that what you call a Legislator that breaks his own law?
Jesus is not so much a legislator (as we think of that term) as a monarch. He can exempt Himself from any law He may choose. This is not being a hypocrite, unless He is at the same time pretending to place Himself under laws which He is secretly violating. All of His Sabbath violations were entirely public.

I am not sure on what authority you would suggest that the sabbath had been observed for 4000 years by Jesus' time. The law was given 1400 years before Christ.

However, animal sacrifices were offered for 4000 years before Jesus came, and we know He put an end to those.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 am

Isaiah 58
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable;
The Sabbath is God’s Holy Day! Sunday has never been and never will be the Lord’s day!
You are saying what this verse does not say. It does say that sabbath was God's holy day, at the time of Isaiah's writing (and no one disputes this). What the passage does not say (as you do) is "Sunday has never been and never will be the Lord’s day!" I believe every day is the Lord's (including Sunday). Which day(s) would you wish to withold from Him? Only Sunday? or are there others as well?
When Luke ends Acts, Paul had just arrived in Rome to start his 2-year imprisonment prior to his execution. Acts ends without mentioning any of the major events above, which indicates that it was written around 60 AD.

Acts 13
14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Acts 16
13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.

Acts 17
2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts 18
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

60 years later, The followers of Jesus are still keeping the Sabbath Day! If Jesus ended Sabbath Keeping, Why are His followers still keeping it 60 years later?
I don't follow your reasoning here. Where are you finding Christ's followers keeping the sabbath 60 years later? None of the verses you cite mention Christians keeping sabbath. We read that Paul evangelized unbelievers in the synagogues and by the riverside on the sabbath days. Good strategy, but these were Jewish meetings, not Christian ones (in each of these cases, there were not yet any Christian meetings in the towns that Paul visited, for the simple reason that there were not yet any Christians there).

We do not ever read that Paul kept the sabbath day. Preaching in synagogues was never commanded as part of the sabbath law.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Dennis wrote:Sunday has never been and never will be the Lord’s day!
It is interesting that the apostle John wrote:

I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet. Rev 1:10

A more literal translation would not be "the Lord's Day" but "the Lordly Day". There was John, banished to the Isle of Patmos, and he was in the Spirit on the Lordly Day. Which day was the Lordly Day? Traditionally it has been believed to be Sunday. The Greek word for "Lordly Day" is κυριακη. If you look at a current Greek calendar, you will find that the name for Sunday is none other than κυριακη. I know this doesn't prove anything, but it's interesting nontheless.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Dennis007

Post by Dennis007 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:42 pm

John 5:18 context:

In Leviticus 26: 1-13 are listed the rewards for obedience. In verses 14-39 are listed punishments for disobedience.

34 Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.

The Babylonian captivity was a striking fulfilment of this verse. The remnant who returned after the captivity understood the bitter lesson of disobedience. They were determined not to let it happen again.

PRACTICAL LESSONS FROM THE EXPERIENCE OF ISRAEL – BY F. C. GILBERT, A CONVERTED HEBREW

10. In the book, “Ethics of the Fathers,” we find this statement concerning the purpose of these men:
11. “They said three things: Be deliberate in judgment; train up many disciples; and make a fence for the law.” – Chapter 1.

This they did, and did it well. These sayings of the teachers were not written in a book, but were handed down from one to another; and hence received the name, “To-rah Shel Ba-peh, “ the law of the mouth, or “the oral law.” The Bible, or the Scriptures, were called, “To-rah Sh-bek-thav,” or ‘,the written law.”

15. They were putting themselves in the place of God to the people; their sayings were placed upon equality with God's teachings. Hence we read that the written law was like water; but the oral law, Mishna, was like wine: the Gemara, like spiced wine. Some went as far as to say that the words of the scribes are lovely above the words of the law (meaning the written law), for the words of the written law are weighty and light; but the words of the scribes are all weighty. One, Rabbi Judah, son of Tamai, said: "A child at five years should study the Bible, at ten the Mishna, at fifteen the Gernara."

From this last statement it can be seen that three times as much value is placed upon the words of men as upon the words of God. The person as he comes to years of maturity should regard the words of the Scripture only one-third as much as he does the words of the rabbis. Yes, they go so far as to say:

"Yea, though they should tell thee that thy right hand is the left, and the left hand that it is the right, it must be believed."

It is not surprising, then, that the Savior condemned those teachers for making void the word of God by their tradition. By their multiplicity of maxims they enslaved the man; they put the word of God aside, in order that their words might be highly esteemed.

When Jesus was tempted by the Devil, he refuted each temptation with an “it is written” quotation. Jesus wanted to free the people from “oral law” and bring them back to faithfulness to the “written law”. In order to win the allegiance of the people back to the “written law”, He purposely broke the “oral law”. He made a distinction between the commandments of men and the commandments of God.

So Jesus did break the Sabbath. He broke the “oral law” Sabbath, while at the same time keeping the “written law” Sabbath faithfully. He healed a man – an act of mercy and kindness – on the Sabbath day. They were so mad, they wanted to find a way to kill Him – on the Sabbath day.

Deuteronomy 4:
2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

The Jews added greatly unto the word, and the Sunday Christians want to diminish ought from it. Both are wrong! Jesus not only made a contrast between the oral law and the written law, but he also made a contrast between acts of mercy and kindness – on the Sabbath day, and the malice and hatred of the Jewish leadership, – on the Sabbath day. No wonder that “the common people heard him gladly.” Mark 12:37

It is totally out of character for Jesus to capriciously break His own law and then declare Himself to be above the law.
Galatians 4
4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
Matthew 11
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

With my explanation, Jesus remains the perfect sacrifice, – never breaking the written law!

Dennis007

Post by Dennis007 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:32 am

The Great Importance of the Ten Commandments

1 John 3
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

The Ten Commandments are God’s standard of righteousness and definition of sin. They have existed long before Moses came down the mountain with the tables of stone.

Genesis 26
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

How could Abraham keep God’s commandments if they didn’t exist? Please notice that the Sabbath was part of God’s law before they were written in stone.

Exodus 16:
25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.
28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?

The Ten Commandments including the Sabbath have existed since the creation of life on this plannet. (My guess is that they existed long before that)

Genesis 2
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The seventh day is the only day of the week that Jesus ever blessed and sanctified. Unless you have solid scripture evidence that the blessing and sanctification have been removed, then they are still in effect. It is safe to assume that all who love Jesus, have been keeping the day holy and receiving the blessing ever since creation!

John 14
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Jesus has always given the Ten Commandments – by far – the greatest importance of any words of scripture!
Exodus 19:
16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

More important than that, – Jesus wrote them with His finger in tables of stone – twice.
More important than that, – a special container was constructed to hold the tables of stone! The ark of the covenant!

More important than that, – it was the only article of furniture placed in the most holy compartment of the sanctuary.

More important than that, – on the day of atonement, once a year, the blood of the sacrifice was sprinkled on the mercy seat just above the Ten Commandments. The blood of the sacrifice was to atone for braking these commandments!

More important than that, – The sanctuary on earth was only a copy of the original! Jesus Christ is our high priest in the true sanctuary in heaven. (Hebrews 8) The sanctuary in heaven has a most holy place with only one article of furniture in it. The ark of the covenant with two tables of stone in it. His blood can atone for the sin of breaking that law!

Revelation 11
19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

What happened to 50,070 people who looked into the ark at the stones with the Ten Commandments written with the finger of God?
1 Samuel 6:
19 And he smote the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter.

The Ten Commandments are the very foundation of the worship of the true God of heaven.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun May 08, 2011 8:19 am

Paidion wrote:Dennis, do you keep the Sabbath day? That is, do you refrain from work, from having heat in your house from sundown Friday night until sundown Saturday night?
Do you work on Sunday? Sabbatarians tend to forget that the command actually has two parts -- work 6 days, and rest on the 7th.

Another thought I've been having lately -- yes, we're under the New Covenant, but why make such a stark contrast between the law of Moses and the law of Christ? Would it be fair to say we should follow all the commands of God, including those in the Torah, but as expanded, explained, and to the extent not fulfilled by Christ? Doesn't that cover all the objections on both sides ?

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun May 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Dennis,

You wrote:
The Ten Commandments are God’s standard of righteousness and definition of sin. They have existed long before Moses came down the mountain with the tables of stone.
It seems to me any person who carefully thinks about the matter will recognize that the Ten Commandments fall far short of God's standard of righteousness. The five commands given that regulate relations of men toward each other are all negative: "thou shalt not...".

It is forbidden to kill. But what if I beat my neighbor half to death? It is fobidden to testify falsely against my neighbor, but what if I tell a lie in behalf of my neighbor? It is recognized immediately that the 10C have nothing to say in either case. And we can easily see that the prohibition against these behaviors must be found elsewhere in the scriptures.

There is nothing in the 10C urging that we love our enemies, help those in need, or bear another's burden. Jesus informed us what the two greatest commands are, and they are not to be found in the 10C. And the only novel thing about the 10C was the command to observe the sabbath, which you imagine has always been commanded, but can not show to be the case.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 am

Well said, Homer!

Darin, yes, I work on Sunday. I do not keep a weekly Sabbath in any sense.

I keep perpetual Sabbath, as Justin Martyr said that Christians of his day did, in that I have ceased from my former evil works. (Hebrews - chapters 3 and 4)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon May 09, 2011 9:40 am

Justin Martyr’s Explanation of the Sabbath to the Jews (Justin lived from 110 – 165 A.D.)

Righteous Men of Old Kept No Sabbaths
... all those righteous men already mentioned [Abel, Enoch, Noah],though they kept no Sabbaths, were pleasing to God; and after them Abraham with all his descendants until Moses... Chapter 19
..For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now,...Chapter 23

Nature Does Not Observe Sabbath Days
Do you see that the elements are not idle, and keep no Sabbaths? Chapter 23

God Himself Does Not Observe the Sabbath Day
Think it not strange that we drink hot water on the Sabbaths, since God directs the government of the universe on this day equally as on all others.. Chapter 29

The True Israelites Are Those Who Come to God Through Christ
For the true spiritual Israel, and descendants of Judah, Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham (who in uncircumcision was approved of and blessed by God on account of his faith, and called thefather of many nations), are we who have been led to God through this crucified Christ, as shall be demonstrated while we proceed. Chapter 11 (near the end)

We Are Now Required To Keep Sabbath Daily By Resting From Sin and Working Righteousness
The new law requires you to keep perpetual sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are pious, not discerning why this has been commanded you: and if you eat unleavened bread, you say the will of God has been fulfilled. The Lord our God does not take pleasure in such observances: if there is any perjured person or a thief among you, let him cease to be so; if any adulterer, let him repent; then he has kept the sweet and true sabbaths of God. If any one has impure hands, let him wash and be pure. Chapter 12 (at the end)
Paidion

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”