keeping Gods comandments

Man, Sin, & Salvation
steve

Re: keeping Gods comandments

Post by steve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:12 am

Dennis007 wrote:
Do you believe that Jesus is God? If you do, then you must believe that Jesus spoke the 10 Commandments directly to the people, and wrote them with his finger in stone.
When we say "Jesus," we are talking about the incarnation of God in a historical character. That historical character did not speak the ten commandments at Sinai, nor did He write them on stone with His finger. Jesus would have said that it was His Father who did those things. Jesus, the historical character, gathered many disciples and gave them His own commandments. He told them to follow His words (John 8:31). When giving His commandments to His disciples, He did not inform them that He was God, nor did they think of Him as God. When He said "my words" or "my commandments," the disciples would have had no reason to assume that He was claiming to be the author of the Old Testament law.
They became the center piece of the sanctuary worship.
Why would you say that the ten commandments became the centerpiece of the sanctuary worship (as if that would tell us anything about the duties of those of us who do not have a role in the worship at the sanctuary)? The sanctuary worship was centered on offering blood on the altar and offering incense in the sanctuary. There is no mention of these practices in the ten commandments. In what way were they the centerpiece?
No other commands were given this high degree of importance.
Where do you read that none of the other laws carried as much importance as the ten commandments? It would seem that the obligation to circumcise and to keep Passover were urged as strongly—with equally strong penalties for disobedience—as were the ten commandments. Do you also advocate circumcision?

Many people are deceived into thinking that Jesus’ commandments do not include the Sabbath. Jesus established the Sabbath as a memorial to His creation. Of course the 10 Commandments are Jesus’ Commandments. Jesus said that if you love Him, you will keep them. It has been my experience that most people prefer the deception.
Some people may prefer deception, but those who misrepresent the scriptures would appear to be the perpetrators of it. Can you find the passage where Jesus says that He established the sabbath, or where He commanded His disciples to keep it? I am pretty sure that Jesus gave His Father credit for having done those things. Jesus came with a New Commandment (John 13:34-35) and a New Covenant (1 Cor.11:25). You seem to be having trouble knowing what to do with the old one, now that the new has replaced it.

look2jesus

Post by look2jesus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 am

Dennis007 wrote:You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line
authorizing the sanctification of Sunday.
Receive one who is weak in the faith, [but] not to disputes over doubtful things. For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats [only] vegetables. Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems [one] day above another; another esteems every day [alike]. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes [it] to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe [it]. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. Romans 14:1-10 (NKJV)
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowlege and discernment...Philippians 1:9 ESV

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:08 pm

look2jesus,

Thanks for bringing us back to the source :)

Dennis007

Post by Dennis007 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 am

Jesus = YHWH

Isaiah 40: God's People Are Comforted
3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness: " Prepare the way of the LORD; Make straight in the desert A highway for our God.

Matthew 3: John the Baptist Prepares the Way
1 In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea,
2 and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!"
3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: " The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ' Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.' "
Who did John prepare the way for? LORD in all caps = YHWH – The God of the old testament. I thought John prepared the way for Jesus!

Isaiah 44:
6 " Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: ' I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.
Revelation 2:
8 "And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write, 'These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life:

So the God of the old testament is the first and the last. Jesus said the He is the First and the Last.

Deuteronomy 32:
3 For I proclaim the name of the LORD: Ascribe greatness to our God.
4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.

1 Corinthians 10:
4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

Is YHWH the Rock or is Jesus the Rock? If A = B, and B = C, then A = C

John 8
58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

Jesus claimed to be the “I AM” that spoke to Moses out of the burning bush.

Steve, – That same “I AM” wrote the 10 Commandments with his finger!
Didn’t you tell your readers that Jesus is NOT that “I AM”?

There is a Sanctuary in heaven, and Jesus is our High Priest!

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:00 am

If you think that there is no distinction between the Father and the incarnate Jesus, then you have not paid much attention to Christ's own teaching on His relationship with the Father. It is too simplistic to just say "Jesus = YHWH." It sounds so evangelical to say that, in the sense that it proves one is not an Arian, like the Jehovah's Witnesses. As I understand scripture, Jesus = God-Man. If you do not agree, you may add your beliefs about this to the long list of opinions that have been promoted by Bible readers, though you are not trinitarian...are you a Oneness Pentecostal or a Modalist, by any chance?

Dennis007

Post by Dennis007 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:42 am

Steve,
Don’t you believe that Jesus existed before he was born in Bethlehem? I used to think that the Father did all those things too, – until I studied it for myself!

Isaiah 44
6 " Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: ' I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.

Take this verse for instance, – Who is Israel’s Redeemer? The Father or the Son?
So according to scripture, the Son is the LORD of hosts, and the First and the Last. That means that Jesus is LORD of hosts of the old testament, prior to His Incarnation. Not only that, Jesus claimed to be the “I AM” before Abraham existed. The Jewish leadership understood his claim and were preparing to stone Him. Let’s see, Jesus claimed to be the “I AM” but Steve says “no, it was the Father.” I appeal to the reader – who is right? Steve, or Jesus?

Steve said:
“When giving His commandments to His disciples, He did not inform them that He was God, nor did they think of Him as God.”
Wrong again Steve!
Matthew 1
23 "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."
John 1: The Eternal Word
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 8
58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
The disciple John wrote down that Jesus claimed to be the “I AM”. How could he not have known – when he is the one that wrote it?
John 20
27 Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
Acts 7
59 And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

steve

Post by steve » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am

Steve,
Don’t you believe that Jesus existed before he was born in Bethlehem? I used to think that the Father did all those things too, – until I studied it for myself!
Of course the Word existed before the incarnation (John 1:1). However, the Word was not known as "Jesus" until He was born (John 1:14/ Matt.1:21), and came to be identified as "the Son of Man," "the man Jesus" (1 Tim.2:5), and as "the Son of God" (Luke 1:35).
Isaiah 44

Take this verse for instance, – Who is Israel’s Redeemer? The Father or the Son?
So according to scripture, the Son is the LORD of hosts, and the First and the Last. That means that Jesus is LORD of hosts of the old testament, prior to His Incarnation. Not only that, Jesus claimed to be the “I AM” before Abraham existed. The Jewish leadership understood his claim and were preparing to stone Him. Let’s see, Jesus claimed to be the “I AM” but Steve says “no, it was the Father.” I appeal to the reader – who is right? Steve, or Jesus?
In the Old Testament, YHWH redeemed Israel from Egypt and from Babylon, as Isaiah says. In the New Testament, the Son of Man redeemed mankind by giving Himself as a ransom (Mark 10:45; Gal.3:13; Rev.5:9). In this, Jesus was acting on His Father's behalf, which means that God redeemed us through Christ. In that sense, both God the Father and Jesus can be said to have redeemed us.

You did not answer my last question. Are you a modalist? If you let us know, then we can know what your position is and give you a relevant answer. You are clearly not trinitarian. I believe that YHWH (the LORD) is Father, Word, and Holy Spirit. However, the Word did not take on a separate identity from the Father until the incarnation. I know of no scripture that teaches otherwise. Christ certainly did identify Himself with YHWH, but He also distinguished Himself from the Father.

Did Jesus say that He Himself had given the ten commandments, or did He consider that His Father had given them?

We know that the same voice that gave Moses the law also instructed him in the construction of the tabernacle (later replaced by the temple). This was the voice of YHWH, and these structures, when they were standing, were regarded to be "the house of YHWH" (e.g., Ex. 23:19; 34:26 / 1 Kings 6:1, 37, etc.). Jesus spoke of the temple as "My Father's house" (John 2:16)—apparently regarding YHWH to be His Father.

The same YHWH who gave the law also gave Israel manna in the wilderness. Jesus said that it was His Father who did that (John 6:32).

In John 8:54, Jesus said that the One that He calls His Father is the One that the Jews called their God. The Jews called YHWH their God. Thus Jesus said it was His Father who had revealed Himself at Sinai and had entered into a covenant making Israel His people and Himself their God.

In John 15:10, Jesus distinguishes between His commandments (given by Him to His disciples) and His Father's commandments, which had been given earlier. Into which of these categories should we place the ten commandments?

You have a reasonably strong adherence to the verses that affirm the deity of Christ, but you do not seem to have a grasp of the many verses where Christ distinguishes Himself from the Father. It is not my purpose to unravel all the mystery associated with this identification/distinction dichotomy. I am simply saying that Jesus regarded the Father as the one who had revealed Himself at Sinai, had given the law, had sustained Israel in the wilderness, had dwelt in the tabernacle and temple, and was, in general, Israel's God.

Jesus said, moreover, that He had come down from God (John 16:28), that He was His Son on earth (John 5:17-18), and had been given authority to speak for Him (John 7:16-17) and to act (e.g., to forgive sins) on His behalf (Matt.9:6).

As such, there were commandments that Jesus gave to His disciples, which were not given previously (e.g., John 13:34-35/ Mat.28:19) and being a Christian (a disciple of Jesus) is defined in our keeping the words and commands that He, the man Jesus, gave to His followers (John 8:31/ Matt.28:20)—not those given by His Father to Israel at Mount Sinai.
Steve said:
“When giving His commandments to His disciples, He did not inform them that He was God, nor did they think of Him as God.”
Wrong again Steve!
Matthew 1
23 "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."
Help me out here...where, in this passage, do you see Jesus telling His disciples that He is God? Does this passage say that the disciples knew Jesus was God in His lifetime?

John 1: The Eternal Word
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Where, in this passage, do you see Jesus telling His disciples that He is God? Does this passage say that the disciples knew Jesus was God in His lifetime?
John 8
The disciple John wrote down that Jesus claimed to be the “I AM”. How could he not have known – when he is the one that wrote it?
Where, in this passage, do you see Jesus telling His disciples that He is God? Does this passage say that the disciples knew Jesus was God in His lifetime?
John 20
27 Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
where, in this passage, do you see Jesus telling His disciples that He is God? Does this passage say that the disciples knew Jesus was God in His lifetime?

Acts 7
59 And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:33 am

Steve,

Forgive me if I'm jumping in here, but it sounds like Dennis007 could be Seventh-day Adventist. His quote "There is a Sanctuary in heaven" is verbatim from their Investigative Judgment doctrine contained in SDA Fundamental Belief #24.

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

charleswest

Post by charleswest » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:39 am

"I believe that YHWH (the LORD) is Father, Word, and Holy Spirit. However, the Word did not take on a separate identity from the Father until the incarnation.

*** I know of no scripture that teaches otherwise. Christ certainly did identify Himself with YHWH, but He also distinguished Himself from the Father."

***(This seems to say otherwise)
Isaiah 9:6
"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given;

The phrase "Son is given" would indicate that Jesus existed as a Son to his Father prior to His being born as the son of man.
“I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views... ” Abraham Lincoln. Excerpt from a letter to Horace Greeley. 22 August 1862
= = = =
Be Blessed. We Are Loved...
cw

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:09 am

Isaiah 9:6
"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given;

The phrase "Son is given" would indicate that Jesus existed as a Son to his Father prior to His being born as the son of man.
I believe that "a Child is born" refers to the incarnation; and that "a Son is given" refers to the crucifixion, subsequent to the child being born. Whenever the New Testament speaks of Christ as being "given", it is virtually always a reference to Him "giving" Himself on the cross (e.g., Mark 10:45/John 10:11/ Gal. 1:4; 2:20/ Eph.5:25/ 1 Tim.2:6, 14). The only exception that comes to mind is John 3:16, which speaks of God giving His unique Son, and which appears to be a reference to Christ's atoning death, as well.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”