Romans 5:12-19 Pelagian

Man, Sin, & Salvation
benstenson

Romans 5:12-19 Pelagian

Post by benstenson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Rom 5:18-19
as by the offense of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation;
even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners,
so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
We are made righteous by Jesus in the same way that we were made sinners by Adam. We receive justification through Jesus in the same way we received condemnation through Adam.

If we could not have avoided becoming condemned sinners then neither can we avoid becoming righteous and justified (Universalism). But Adam did not literally "make" us sinners. Sin is a personal choice, not a substance, state of being, or mystical relationship.

The phrase "made sinners/righteous" is figurative. Figurative of voluntarily following the pattern initiated by one man. As verse twelve explains: "death passed to all men because they all sinned." God did not literally condemn men for Adam's sin (because he knew that Abraham would object to it haha). The causal relationship is figurative, not literal. It cannot be coherently literal. If sin is voluntary then it is no more of Adam, otherwise the voluntary is no longer voluntary.

thrombomodulin

Re: Romans 5:12-19 Pelagian

Post by thrombomodulin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Some die shortly before or after birth. As far as I am aware, they have not sinned. If death is a result of sin, and as you suggest, that Adam's sin does not somehow effect them, how is it that those who have not sinned are still subject to death?

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:38 pm

thrombomodulin wrote:Some die shortly before or after birth. As far as I am aware, they have not sinned. If death is a result of sin, and as you suggest, that Adam's sin does not somehow effect them, how is it that those who have not sinned are still subject to death?
Thrombomodulin,

I know your question was for Ben, but before he gets his response posted, would you please allow me to intrude with a brief comment for both of you. Thank you.

Sin, it appears to me, is personal, not inherited. Ezekiel 18:20 confirms this: “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.”

Therefore, I don’t believe that when a child dies it proves he has sinned or has inherited someone else’s sin. That would contradict what God told us through Ezekiel.

Physical death may, however, be the result of not partaking of the tree of life, which was in the Garden of Eden (Gen 3:22), and is in the Paradise of God (Rev 2:7). When Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden, their physical death was assured because they no longer had access to the Tree of Life.

The Tree of Life is like a diver’s oxygen tank. As long as there’s oxygen in the tank, the diver’s okay. But if he’s unable to resurface or to replenish the oxygen in his tank, he is doomed to death. Perhaps being barred from the Tree of Life is what brought on physical death for all humanity. Man lives for a while, but his death (like taxes) is inevitable.

I believe we inherited from Adam not sin, but a mind and nature prone to sin. Everyone who is capable of consciously sinning does so, thereby offending God and bringing upon himself God’s wrath.

Perhaps when Adam sinned, three things happened. First, he rebelled against God and placed himself in jeopardy of eternal separation from God if he did not repent. Second, he was driven from the Garden, thereby losing access to the Tree of Life and assuring his own physical death. Third, he excluded all humanity from access to the Tree of Life, thereby passing to us all not his sin, but the curse of physical death. Because Adam sinned, we are all forbidden to eat of the Tree of Life, therefore we die.

Sin is willful rebellion against God, which results in another curse — condemnation and eternal separation from God. That curse is reversed for those in Christ. The Saved still die physically (there is no Tree of Life around here), but when they go to Paradise to be with Christ, perhaps He allows them access to the Tree of Life, and thereby live with Him forever.

In the event of the death of a preborn child, or an infant, or any young child who is unable consciously to rebel (sin) against God, I do not think Scripture supports the doctrine that their death is the result of sin or that they are automatically and eternally separated from God because of sin. They didn’t inherit Adam’s or anyone else’s sin, so they’re not responsible for that. They have not committed their own sin, so there’s no responsibility there. The Bible strongly indicates that the souls of sinless children are uncondemned and not under His wrath. They are safe, and those who they die in that condition are with Jesus in heaven, for eternity (Matt 19:14, Mark 10:14, Luke 18:16, Ezekiel 18:20).

Candlepower

benstenson

Post by benstenson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 pm

thrombomodulin wrote:Some die shortly before or after birth. As far as I am aware, they have not sinned. If death is a result of sin, and as you suggest, that Adam's sin does not somehow effect them, how is it that those who have not sinned are still subject to death?
I don't believe death is meant literally. Verse 18 contrasts life with condemnation. I believe death here may simply mean condemnation / deserving eternal death.

If physical death was the punishment for sin then Christians would not physically die because they have been forgiven and pardoned.

1Cor 15 says we physically die being sons of Adam, but that chapter in 1Cor is about the mortal and immortal body, not like Rom 5. Rom 5:12-19 is about the pattern of sin and the pattern of righteousness being universal rather than being a Jew vs Gentile distinction.
"out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them" (Gen 2:19)

benstenson

Post by benstenson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Candlepower I agree with what you said. I remember when I first read Ezekiel 18 in light of these ideas, I was a little embarrassed that I had even needed this explained to me, but I did.
"out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them" (Gen 2:19)

thrombomodulin

Post by thrombomodulin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.

It has been my understanding that Romans 5 was about physical death. In part this has been my view because it is what I had been taught, and also because I presumed the v14 describing that death reigned from Adam to Moses was evident to Paul by the author's observations, rather than divine inspiration about eternal death (i.e. their spiritual state). In retrospect I see that you are correct to point out there is a contradiction.

In considering the passage further, it has come to my attention that the contradiction with my prior question occurs much earlier, for I said the unborn have not sinned. Yet Paul says "all have sinned". It is not rational to understand Paul's statement that "all have sinned" as really meaning "all" so as to include the unborn and infants. Thus shall we concluded that "all" is not really "all" in this passage, thus excluding those who are too young to sin? Nevertheless, it is known that "all" is really "all" (excepting Enoch,Elijah) if the passage speaks of physical death. However, if it is eternal death, then the "all" is taken in the same sense for the sin and death.

I like Candlepower's explanation of having lost access to the tree of life, but I'm unconvinced that it resolves the contradiction. For if God prevented access of Adam's descendants who did not sin to the tree of life because of Adam's sin, then it would still seem to be the case that God did punish his children for their Father's sin.

benstenson

Post by benstenson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 pm

I agree that Rom 3:23 "all have sinned" does not need to be taken in such a strict sense as people often take it. I think it is more of a general statement intended to transcend the Jew/Gentile dividing line. I'd be thrilled to find out that Abel or anyone else did not sin.

It seems that having no tree of life, and thus physical death, could be a consequence of Adam's action without being a punishment for sin. The curse on the ground, which I believe may have been temporary, seems like a punishment for Adam's sin. But when God sent Adam out of the garden he said it was because Adam had become like himself knowing good and evil. That contributes to my thinking that physical death is not necessarily a punishment.

alastairblake

Post by alastairblake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:16 pm

hey guys. i want to say that I am happy to have this forum available to me :-)

I have struggled deeply over Calvinism, Original Sin, God's Love for ALL? or just some? etc the past few years in my life.

anyway, onto the topic...

benstenson, Im following with ya.

I guess for me, when read the beginning of Genesis lately, I have paid more attention to the two trees than I used to. I know the Tree of Life is again available to us once God remakes the Earth... and it is also this tree that God declared Man was not permitted to eat from lest he live.

22 Then the Lord God said, q“Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand rand take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—” 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden sto work the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the tcherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life. ~ESV

I have come to wonder if death was not a matter of change, or introduction, but that Man no longer could have access to the ToL. Just like how we die by default, it seems to me like the ToL is what would have made living forever possible. Physical death already existed on the earth, with insects and tiny organisms dying every second. As far as spiritual death, I dont see that actually being introduced by the text.

The text doesn't discuss a changed nature, but instead consequences because of Adam's choice to disobey. So he was separated from the ToL. God obviously interacts with Man after this, even approaching Cain when he is angry. God tells Cain that sin's desire is for him, but that he must rule over it. I honestly do NOT see Total Depravity introduced in the creation accounts... What are some of your thoughts?

I guess Pelagius is going to be mentioned. I dont know much about him, but I have been seeing his name. But anyway, Id love to hear from you all.

It seems to me that people are not "good" or "bad" but that it is their moral choices that are good or bad. I believe that God has people accountable because he has made them able to make moral choice.

sorry if im beating a dead horse. Honestly, im just happy to talk to you all. I have had my fair share of introspection and fear while interacting with, and listening to tons of reformed baptist stuff etc, and im trying to make sense of things.

alastairblake

Post by alastairblake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:17 pm

oops, sorry guys, i didnt realize this thread was so old....

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:45 am

It's okay to add to an old thread. It just bumps it to the top, back in the active zone. It's good to have new blood here, and new thoughts added to the discussion.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”