What if a Person Obeys Jesus but Doesnt Know Jesus?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Ian

Re: What if a Person Obeys Jesus but Doesnt Know Jesus?

Post by Ian » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 am

Thinking about it, Darin is right to bring up the question of motive. I remember reading "Death of a guru" wherein Rabindrnath R Maharaj* minces no words about the pride that lies in many high caste Hindus. "A broken and contrite spirit" would be more dear to God than acts of charity carried out with a prideful heart, of that I`m sure.

It occurred to me that this question could be extended to wondering whether George Clooney is saved in view of his humanitarian work!!

*that one needed looking up

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 am

A scripture often cited to show a heathen might be saved apart from faith, by doing good deeds, is Romans 2:12-16:

12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

But is Paul speaking hypothetically, or does he contradict himself when concluding the passage with the following remarks:

Romans 3:21-31 (please see next post; for some reason I can only post a few lines)
Last edited by Homer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 am

(continued)
Romans 3:21-31
21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (continued, see next post)
Last edited by Homer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 am

(continued)
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. 29 Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also, 30 since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith. 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Here Paul seems to emphatically state that, based on their deeds, no one will be declared righteous. We are only justified by faith, period. If this is not true, then Jesus died for nothing:
Last edited by Homer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:19 am

(continued) Galatians 2:20-21
20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

Which Paul again reinforces:

Galatians 3:10-11
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”

It seems to me that the Hindu man's only hope is mercy. He will stand condemned, absent faith (trust) in God, but God always has the option of mercy.
Last edited by Homer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:22 am

Any experts out there with ideas why I am unable to post more than a few lines at a time? It has been an ongoing problem. Rick suggested a Java update but that did not solve problem. Please PM if you can help.
Thanks

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Homer wrote:(continued)
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. 29 Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also, 30 since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith. 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Here Paul seems to emphatically state that, based on their deeds, no one will be declared righteous. We are only justified by faith, period. If this is not true, then Jesus died for nothing:
I think Paul's arguments in Romans and Galatians is that no one is declared righteous by the works of the law of Moses. No one can be justified by keeping the Jewish law. Although we can apply this to other works, it seems that someone's works is the evidence of one's motives or beliefs, and therefore, God looks at someone's works as evidence of their character. I agree that no one is saved by the works they do (eph. 2:8-9), but we have other Scriptures that say God deals with people in different ways. Look at this one for instance:

Here we learn, in reference to those who were outside of Israel, that God accepts anyone from any nation who fears Him and works righteousness. The works of righteousness do not save the person, but God looks at his or her works to be evidence of their genuine faith or reverence for God. Someone can reverence God without having all details about Jesus figured out. Although positionally a person may be subject to God's wrath because of their sin, it doesn't mean that they don't show sufficient proof by their behavior that they have a deep reverence for God. And due to Acts 10:35, we must conclude that God can accept such people.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Rich wrote:
I think Paul's arguments in Romans and Galatians is that no one is declared righteous by the works of the law of Moses. No one can be justified by keeping the Jewish law. Although we can apply this to other works
IMO Paul says that if righteousness could come by lawkeeping, then the LoM was it:
Galatians 3:21-22 (New King James Version)
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
(see next post)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Homer wrote:We are only justified by faith, period. If this is not true, then Jesus died for nothing:
Not according to James!

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works, and the scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness"; and he was called the friend of God. You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. James 2:21-24
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:47 pm

(continued from previous post)
And due to Acts 10:35, we must conclude that God can accept such people.
Cornelius' case is not so simple; Peter's second telling of the story adds another detail of what the angel said to Cornelius:

Acts 11:13-14 (New King James Version)
13 And he told us how he had seen an angel standing in his house, who said to him, ‘Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon whose surname is Peter, 14 who will tell you words by which you and all your household will be saved.
Note: "will be saved" is in the future tense.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”