John Wesley and the Law of Moses

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Apollos

John Wesley and the Law of Moses

Post by Apollos » Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 pm

I've been reading about different conceptions of the law found in Covenant Theology and New Covenant Theology. Is there anyone out there who is conversant with Wesley's theology and could tell me what his view of the Law of Moses and the Christian was?

mattrose

Re: John Wesley and the Law of Moses

Post by mattrose » Sat May 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm a Wesleyan minister, but not an expert on Wesley

I do, however, have a copy of Randy Maddox' book 'Responsible Grace: John Wesley's Practical Theology' handy. It is widely considered the best recent book on Wesley's theology (I, myself, very much enjoyed it too).

He says the following about Wesley and the Law of Moses on pages 99-100
Wesley assumed that the fundamental core of the Mosaic Law was the moral code, and that this code recapitulated the original moral law. More precisely, it presents the aspect of this moral law which is still applicable in our sin-diminished state, the law of love for God and neighbor. As such, this moral code is 'the heart of God' disclosed to humanity

Given such a high estimation of the Mosaic moral code, how does Wesley deal with Paul's claim that Christ is the end of the law? He interpreted 'end' to mean fulfillment rather than discontinuation. To be sure, this fulfillment distinguished between the Jewish ceremonial and civil codes and the basic moral code of love for God and neighbor. The former were set aside as having no continuing purpose, while the latter is re-affirmed....

Christ's fulfillment also set up a different relationship between humanity and the moral law. God's saving acceptance is no longer contingent upon our prior perfect execution of the law. Instead, our obedience to the law becomes a growing reality in RESPONSE to our realization of God's prior gracious acceptance....

The liberty that Christ brings is not a liberty FROM the law, but a liberty FOR the law.
Hope that helps :)

Apollos

Re: John Wesley and the Law of Moses

Post by Apollos » Sat May 21, 2011 5:37 pm

mattrose wrote:I'm a Wesleyan minister, but not an expert on Wesley

I do, however, have a copy of Randy Maddox' book 'Responsible Grace: John Wesley's Practical Theology' handy. It is widely considered the best recent book on Wesley's theology (I, myself, very much enjoyed it too).

He says the following about Wesley and the Law of Moses on pages 99-100
Wesley assumed that the fundamental core of the Mosaic Law was the moral code, and that this code recapitulated the original moral law. More precisely, it presents the aspect of this moral law which is still applicable in our sin-diminished state, the law of love for God and neighbor. As such, this moral code is 'the heart of God' disclosed to humanity

Given such a high estimation of the Mosaic moral code, how does Wesley deal with Paul's claim that Christ is the end of the law? He interpreted 'end' to mean fulfillment rather than discontinuation. To be sure, this fulfillment distinguished between the Jewish ceremonial and civil codes and the basic moral code of love for God and neighbor. The former were set aside as having no continuing purpose, while the latter is re-affirmed....

Christ's fulfillment also set up a different relationship between humanity and the moral law. God's saving acceptance is no longer contingent upon our prior perfect execution of the law. Instead, our obedience to the law becomes a growing reality in RESPONSE to our realization of God's prior gracious acceptance....

The liberty that Christ brings is not a liberty FROM the law, but a liberty FOR the law.
Hope that helps :)
Yes, that helps a lot - thanks!

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”