Trichotomy v. Dichotomy.

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Apollos

Re: Trichotomy v. Dichotomy.

Post by Apollos » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:11 am

Paidion wrote: Justin Martyr, who followed Plato before he became a Christian made a clean break from Platoism. In his discussion with Trypho and other Jews he said, "If you have fallen in with some who are called "Christians" ... who say that their souls, when they die, are taken to heaven, do not imagine that they are Christians..." In the second century, this was the position of the gnostics, not the regular Christians.
First, this isn't the full quotation. Second, the actual quotation provides no evidence as to what 'regular Christians' held.

Justin is talking of those Gnostics who believe that the soul goes to heaven and that there is no resurrection, as the full quote from his Dialogue reveals:
For if you have fallen in with some who are called Christians, but who do not admit this, and venture to blaspheme the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; who say there is no resurrection of the dead, and that their souls, when they die, are taken to heaven; do not imagine that they are Christians
It is true that Justin in his early days rejected the view that the soul of Christians go to heaven at death. But we cannot make assumptions from this about what 'regular Christians' held. Archbishop Ussher dealt with the question of how widespread Justin's view was, as does the contemporary scholar Charles Hill. Suffice to say there is evidence that Justin abandoned this teaching, which Ussher and Hill argue was an intrinsic part of his chiliasm.
And he said nothing else in answer to Lucius than this: "You also seem to me to be such an one." And when Lucius answered, "Most certainly I am," he again ordered him also to be led away. And he professed his thanks, knowing that he was delivered from such wicked rulers, and was going to the Father and King of the heavens. And still a third having come forward, was condemned to be punished.
2 Apol. 2, 18-19

Furthermore, Irenaeus, who likewise held that the souls of Christians go to Hades upon death, and not heaven, also acknowledges that "some who are reckoned among the orthodox" likewise teach that souls go to heaven (Against Heresies 5.30-31).

Statements can be found in Polycarp showing that he believed the departed saints to be 'in the presence of the Lord', and Melito held that the souls of the OT saints in Hades had been taken up to heaven when Jesus ascended:

“It is I”, says the Christ,
“I am he who destroys death,
and triumphs over the enemy,
and crushes Hades,
and binds the strong man,
and bears humanity off to the heavenly heights.”
“It is I”, says the Christ.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:11 pm

Apollos wrote:
Paidion wrote:Justin Martyr, who followed Plato before he became a Christian made a clean break from Platoism. In his discussion with Trypho and other Jews he said, "If you have fallen in with some who are called "Christians" ... who say that their souls, when they die, are taken to heaven, do not imagine that they are Christians..." In the second century, this was the position of the gnostics, not the regular Christians.
First, this is a misquotation.
My understanding of a misquotation is ascribing to someone words which he didn't say. Did I do that in my quote of Justin? It wasn't meant to be a precise quotation. I quoted it from memory. Is the precise quotation significantly different?
Second, the actual quotation provides no evidence as to what 'regular Christians' held.
Maybe not. But it provides evidence as to what the regular Christians did NOT hold, since Justin asks his listeners not to regard those who say that their souls are taken to heaven when they die, as even BEING Christians.
Justin is talking of those Gnostics who believe that the soul goes to heaven and that there is no resurrection...
Is this supposed to be new information? Have I not said in your quote of me that this [souls going to heaven at death] was the position of gnostics, not that of the regular Christians? Is my statement erroneous in any way? Or do you think the fact that the gnostics did not believe in a bodily resurrection is important? At least the gnostic position was consistent. Those today who believe in their souls going to heaven AND a bodily resurrection seem to believe something that is unnecessary. If our souls exist separately from our body, "drop this robe of flesh" at death, and "fly away" to heaven, then what need is there of a bodily resurrection? Why not live happily in heaven as disembodied spirits or as souls with some sort of ethereal body?
Suffice to say there is evidence that Justin abandoned this teaching, which Ussher and Hill argue was an intrinsic part of his chiliasm.
And he said nothing else in answer to Lucius than this: "You also seem to me to be such an one." And when Lucius answered, "Most certainly I am," he again ordered him also to be led away. And he professed his thanks, knowing that he was delivered from such wicked rulers, and was going to the Father and King of the heavens. And still a third having come forward, was condemned to be punished.
2 Apol. 2, 18-19
How does this quote from the second apology show that Justin “abandoned this teaching”, that is his hope in the resurrection rather than the gnostic idea of the “soul” going to heaven at death? Is it simply the words that Justin wrote concerning Lucius that he knew he was delivered from such wicked rulers and was going to the Father and King of the heavens? I could say the same of myself, that is, that I am about to go to the Father, if I knew I was about to die. For that's the next thing of which I will be aware.
Furthermore, Irenaeus, who likewise held that the souls of Christians go to Hades upon death, and not heaven, also acknowledges that "some who are reckoned among the orthodox" likewise teach that souls go to heaven (Against Heresies 5.30-31).
I found nothing relating to the topic in Book V Chapter 30.
In Chapter 30, I found that he said that “some who are reckoned among the orthodox ... hold heretical opinons. He says that “not admitting the salvation of their flesh while they treat the promise of God contemptuously ... affirm that immediately upon their death they shall pass above the heavens and the Demiurge [creator] and go to the Mother (Achamoth) or to the Father they have feigned.”
Clearly, Irenaeus is speaking about gnostics, who “feign” a Father different from Yahweh, whom (they said) thought he was the supremed God but was mistaken. According to the gnostics the true supreme God is the Father of Christ who has created the spiritual world instead of the physical one which the “god of the Jews” created. This is the “Father” whom Irenaeus says they “feigned”.

Irenaeus concludes the chapter with these words:
If, then, the Lord observed the law of the dead, that He might become the first begotten from the dead, and tarried until the third day “in the lower parts of the earth”; then afterwards rising in the flesh, so that He even showed the print of the nails to His disciples, He thus ascended to the Father... For as the Lord “went away in the midst of the shadow of death,” where the souls of the dead were, yet afterwards arose in the body, and after the resurrection was taken up, it is manifest that the souls of His disciples also, upon whose account the Lord underwent these things shall go away into the invisible place allotted to them by God, and there to remain until the resurrection, awaiting that event; then receiving their bodies, and rising in their entirety, that is bodily, just as the Lord arose, they shall come into the presence of God.
plus a few more similar words.

Thought Irenaeus seemed to have believed human souls can exist apart from their bodies in “the invisible place allotted to them by God” prior to the resurrection, he clearly did not believe that such souls went directly to heaven at death.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Paidion wrote: My understanding of a misquotation is ascribing to someone words which he didn't say. Did I do that in my quote of Justin? It wasn't meant to be a precise quotation. I quoted it from memory. Is the precise quotation significantly different?
A misquotation includes omission of important context: in this case, Justin said that these people who were not true Christians both denied the resurrection and taught that the souls go direct to heaven. You made the quote say that those teaching ONLY that souls go to heaven are not true Christians. However, he did not say this, and we know from other sources that some Christians did hold this.

Furthermore, you claim that you quoted this from memory, however the words match exactly the standard Ante-Nicene translation. Therefore, I submit that you did not quote them from memory, but that you copied them, either already in the misquoted form (including some ellipses while omitting others), or that you omitted the pertinent part yourself.
Maybe not. But it provides evidence as to what the regular Christians did NOT hold, since Justin asks his listeners not to regard those who say that their souls are taken to heaven when they die, as even BEING Christians.
No, this is what your quotation says. What Justin actually said is that those who both deny the resurrection, and teach that souls go direct to heaven, are not true Christians. We know from Irenaeus that some Christians did teach that the soul goes to heaven, but still held a future resurrection. This is my point - you have misquoted Justin and drawn from this misquotation an unjustified conclusion. Nothing more, nothing less.
Is this supposed to be new information? Have I not said in your quote of me that this [souls going to heaven at death] was the position of gnostics,
Yes, it is new information - it is the fact that those not considered Christians denied the resurrection. You omitted this vital piece of information. He is NOT talking of Christians who believe souls go to heaven but hold the resurrection, whom we know existed, and who may well have been the 'regular Christians' for all we know.
If our souls exist separately from our body, "drop this robe of flesh" at death, and "fly away" to heaven, then what need is there of a bodily resurrection? Why not live happily in heaven as disembodied spirits or as souls with some sort of ethereal body?
You are now dealing with the issue of whether Justin's view on life after death is correct or not. That is not an issue I have addressed. I have dealt with the historical claims you have made when you misquoted him and drew from this misquotation unwarranted conclusions. We know from Irenaeus that such Christians did exist. Whether they were right or wrong is a completely different question.
How does this quote from the second apology show that Justin “abandoned this teaching”, that is his hope in the resurrection rather than the gnostic idea of the “soul” going to heaven at death? Is it simply the words that Justin wrote concerning Lucius that he knew he was delivered from such wicked rulers and was going to the Father and King of the heavens? I could say the same of myself, that is, that I am about to go to the Father, if I knew I was about to die. For that's the next thing of which I will be aware.
Whether Justin could have stated that a believer was going to the Father, the king of the Heavens, if they believed in soul-sleep and rejected the view that souls go to heaven when they die, I will leave for others to judge. I am not writing to try to convince you of anything, nor would I try. However this is an area I have done some research on and so I cannot allow your misrepresentation of Justin to pass without any comment. I am of the opinion that this is indeed evidence (though not the only evidence) of a change in his views, but let everyone be persuaded in their own mind.
I found nothing relating to the topic in Book V Chapter 30.
In Chapter 30, I found that he said that “some who are reckoned among the orthodox ... hold heretical opinons. He says that “not admitting the salvation of their flesh while they treat the promise of God contemptuously ... affirm that immediately upon their death they shall pass above the heavens and the Demiurge [creator] and go to the Mother (Achamoth) or to the Father they have feigned.”
Clearly, Irenaeus is speaking about gnostics, who “feign” a Father different from Yahweh, whom (they said) thought he was the supremed God but was mistaken. According to the gnostics the true supreme God is the Father of Christ who has created the spiritual world instead of the physical one which the “god of the Jews” created. This is the “Father” whom Irenaeus says they “feigned”.
These people are reckoned among the orthodox. Irenaeus thinks they hold heretical views of the afterlife because they hold that the soul goes to heaven, and not that it goes to Hades, as Irenaeus had learned from Papias. Irenaeus disthinguishes between the orthodox who hold that souls go to heaven, and the gnostics whose views he thinks they are partially holding. You cannot confound these two groups. This is very clear from the context and shouldn't even be a matter of debate:
Since, again, some who are reckoned among the orthodox go beyond the pre-arranged plan for the exaltation of the just, and are ignorant of the methods by which they are disciplined beforehand for incorruption, they thus entertain heretical opinions. For the heretics, despising the handiwork of God, and not admitting the salvation of their flesh, while they also treat the promise of God contemptuously, and pass beyond God altogether in the sentiments they form, affirm that immediately upon their death they shall pass above the heavens and the Demiurge, and go to the Mother (Achamoth) or to that Father whom they have feigned.
Thought Irenaeus seemed to have believed human souls can exist apart from their bodies in “the invisible place allotted to them by God” prior to the resurrection, he clearly did not believe that such souls went directly to heaven at death.
Yes, interesting isn't it - no-one is on record as holding your view.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Apollos wrote:Furthermore, you claim that you quoted this from memory, however the words match exactly the standard Ante-Nicene translation. Therefore, I submit that you did not quote them from memory, but that you copied them, either already in the misquoted form (including some ellipses while omitting others), or that you omitted the pertinent part yourself.

Your submission is erroneous. You have no basis whatever for it. The reality is that I did quote it from memory. I have used it several times previously, "omitting the pertinent part" as you believe. I do not believe it is pertinent. I also affirm that much more of your last post is erroneous. But since you have concluded that I have attempted to deceive you by "claiming" that I quoted it from memory, I see further exchanges with you as futile.

As a person who values truth highly, I find your accusation (or "submission" as you call it) highly offensive.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Paidion wrote:
Apollos wrote:Furthermore, you claim that you quoted this from memory, however the words match exactly the standard Ante-Nicene translation. Therefore, I submit that you did not quote them from memory, but that you copied them, either already in the misquoted form (including some ellipses while omitting others), or that you omitted the pertinent part yourself.

Your submission is erroneous. You have no basis whatever for it. The reality is that I did quote it from memory. I have used it several times previously, "omitting the pertinent part" as you believe. I do not believe it is pertinent. I also affirm that much more of your last post is erroneous. But since you have concluded that I have attempted to deceive you by "claiming" that I quoted it from memory, I see further exchanges with you as futile.

As a person who values truth highly, I find your accusation (or "submission" as you call it) highly offensive.
That's fine, I frankly think you should have had no problem conceding those other points, in the interests of truth, no matter how offensive you perceive me to be on this point.

As for my suggestion, I think you'll have to admit that I have good cause for it:

Paidion:
If you have fallen in with some who are called "Christians" ... who say that their souls, when they die, are taken to heaven, do not imagine that they are Christians...
Standard ANF translation:
if you have fallen in with some who are called Christians ... who say ... that their souls, when they die, are taken to heaven; do not imagine that they are Christians
Is it possible you really did quote it from memory, word for word? I don't know. But I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, though it is a big doubt. But it certainly isn't true that I have 'no basis whatever for it'.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:24 pm

That's fine, I frankly think you should have had no problem conceding those other points, in the interests of truth, no matter how offensive you perceive me to be on this point.
I would have no problem conceding IN THE INTERESTS OF TRUTH. However, I have an insurmountable problem conceding to falsehood.
As for my suggestion, I think you'll have to admit that I have good cause for it.
You not only have no GOOD cause for it, but you lack any cause at all — beyond the thought that popped into your head that I was lying.
Paidion

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 pm

You have also reproduced a quote word for word matching the published translation (ellipses included) while claiming to quote from memory. Even the commas match a version I found online before making my submission. So yes, I did/do have some doubt. Sorry that offends you. The Bible says that if we see a brother sin, we tell them. I submitted it as it appears to me. You have chosen, rather than seek any form of resolution, to simply become offended. Even when I gave you the benefit of the doubt (perhaps you have a photographic memory), you have chosen to persist in your sense of being offended. Perhaps I should have just kept to myself and just concentrated on the points at issue, but would that really have been a better way? Would you prefer I just secretly think that? Now then, that's the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned, and is not open to further discussion, unless there is some chance of resolution.

I'm also open to correction from others and maybe I was wrong, but I'm too into this now to see it neutrally. I believe that if you see someone doing something wrong, you are upfront with them. But I didn't factor in the possibility of a photographic memory. But thinking back, I also was trying to remove the thought that he had deliberately misrepresented a quotation by omission of a vital part of the quote.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 pm

You have also reproduced a quote word for word matching the published translation (ellipses included) while claiming to quote from memory. Even the commas match a version I found online before making my submission. So yes, I did/do have some doubt. Sorry that offends you. The Bible says that if we see a brother sin, we tell them. I submitted it as it appears to me. You have chosen, rather than seek any form of resolution, to simply become offended. Even when I gave you the benefit of the doubt (perhaps you have a photographic memory)
Does it take a photographic memory to reproduce John 3:16 word for word? Or any other scripture that you think is important and have memorized? I thought this quote important, and memorized it. I don't see why that is so remarkable.

But I agree with you about being offended. I should have followed Steve Gregg's advice, "Refuse to be offended." Being offended is indicative of pride, and if any of that resides in me, I must humble myself, and let the offense go. Having said that, I nevetheless explain my reason for being offended relates to my love of truth (as I explained previously). I do not lie.
Paidion

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Then I owe you an apology, as I simply didn't think that someone might have memorized it. My apologies.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Thank you. Accepted. I am no longer offended.
Paidion

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”