God actively hates some of us ?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Happywife

God actively hates some of us ?

Post by Happywife » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:14 am

Last week a sermon was preached and the speaker kept emphasizing there were some hearing the message that God hates. The speaker kept emphasizing Gods hatred for the listeners. I have looked at several passages and want to discuss this a bit I believe this might be my first post... LaVonne

Roberto

Re: God actively hates some of us ?

Post by Roberto » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:22 am

It seems that God loves and hates at the same time, for it is written that he "so loved the world", yet some are under wrath!

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:04 am

Last week a sermon was preached and the speaker kept emphasizing there were some hearing the message that God hates. The speaker kept emphasizing Gods hatred for the listeners. I have looked at several passages and want to discuss this a bit I believe this might be my first post... LaVonneHappywife

I don't believe God hates anyone , for God is love according to John and having wrath does not mean he hates people. Scripture says his anger passes quickly and he is long suffering and patient wanting everyone to repent and come into the knowledge of the truth.
God certainly knew man would fall and Jesus sacrifice was planned before the foundation of the world. So man's fall was either allowed by God or may have even been caused by God but in either case Man was made spiritually weak and it is God who sent/allowed Satan to deceive Eve, so man's destiny is to learn from all this evil therefore God does not hate man for doing what he was destined to do.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 am

Hi LaVonne,

Welcome! I think I heard that sermon, if it was by a famous pastor of a huge church who likes to make controversial statements for not very obvious reasons. I believe that he was trying to present the gospel and to do it in a shocking, and therefore memorable way. He said (my paraphrase) that the Father hates you. No, really, He hates you. He really, really hates you. Not just your sin, but YOU. HATES YOU. But then there's Jesus. Jesus loves you so He steps between the Father's hatred of you and you. The Father hates you. Jesus loves you. The Holy Spirit? 50/50, don't grieve Him.

I think it's an interpretation of God's wrath as being out of control rage fueled by hatred. I suppose that could be true, but, to me, the scripture doesn't reveal God like that. What I see is God's wrath as not an expression of hatred, but of love; that from the beginning He planned to redeem us from sin and death. That's where His wrath is directed, I believe.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:55 am

So it seems that pastor was preaching that Jesus died to save us from GOD. :roll:

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Paidion wrote:So it seems that pastor was preaching that Jesus died to save us from GOD. :roll:
I was thinking the same thing.

But we know, of course, this is not the case:

It's God who so loved the world that He sent His Son (1 John 4:9), Christ's suffering brings us to God (1 Peter 3:18), Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,
who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father (Galatians 1:3-4).
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Happywife wrote: I have looked at several passages and want to discuss this a bit I believe this might be my first post... LaVonne
Hi, again, LaVonne. I'd love to discuss the passages too. What passages have you looked at?

TK

Post by TK » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Jonathan Edwards famous sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" has similar language.

TK

Happywife

Post by Happywife » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies, here are some of the scriptures I've looked at Psalm 5:5 and Psalm 11:5 Proverbs 6:19 and Hosea 9:15 Psalms 45:6 Leviticus 20:23 Hosea 9:15Amos 6:8 Malachi 1:2 Malachi 2:16

Yes I'm sure it was the same sermon. I look forward to trying to articulate my thoughts and putting together a more thoughtful reply.

LaVonne

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:36 am

I'd like to listen to the sermon to make sure I understand the context fairly, though I have a suspicion the context is pretty obvious. Can you share a link?

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”