The Enabling Grace of God

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:10 pm

So often fundamentalists limit the grace of God to God's “unmerited favour” toward us. It is true that God's grace is unmerited favour. But it is much more than that. It is God's training to help us overcome wrongdoing and to live righteously. Titus 2:11-15 explains it:

For the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all people, training us to renounce impiety and worldly passions, and to live sensible, righteous, and devout lives in the present age, expecting the blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of the great God and of our Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; encourage and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you. Titus 2:11-15

This passage tells us that the very reason for Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was to “redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good works.” Other passages which give us the same reason for Christ's death are as follows:

I Peter 2:24 He himself endured our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

II Corinthians 5:15 And he died for all, that those who live might live no longer for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

Romans 14:9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

Heb 9:26 ...he has appeared once for all at the end of the age to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Salvation is a processs. From what are we being saved? From sin! The angel said to Joseph in a dream:

She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21)

That is quite wonderful that Jesus has provided a way for us to overcome wrongdoing, and live for Christ, for righteousness. But how do we receive this enabling grace so that this victory will be practically carried out in our lives? Here is our first clue:

...we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in a time of need. Hebrews 4:15,16

The author uses a double negative (which is tantamount to a positive). A positive has more force. Let me say this in a positive way.

Since we have a high priest who is able to sympathize with our weaknesses, let's draw near to the throne of grace so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in a time of need.

And how do we draw near to the throne of grace when we have been overcome with weakness — when we have a time of need, the need to find victory over our weaknesses and to live righteously? I used to think drawing near to the throne of grace meant praying for help. I still think that is part of it. But after having prayed, let's be filled with trust that Christ WILL deliver us from our sin. For He died for this purpose.

I'm not talking about a mere covering of our sin. I'm not talking about a substitution for us, so that Christ took our punishment in our place. I'm not talking about justification in the sense that God does not see our sin when He looks at us, but sees only Christ's righteousness. I'm talking about a real deliverance from sin in our lives, so that we actually live righteously in our everyday lives!

Somehow we must coöperate with the grace of God. We can't overcome by mere self effort. But neither will God deliver us apart from our will. We must do it together WITH God!
Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For he says, “In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. 2 Corinthians 6:1,2

It is as we work together with Christ, that we will be able to receive the enabling grace of God which will deliver us from actual sin in our lives. If we just ask God for His grace, we won't receive it, for He will not deliver us without out will and coöperation. Oh there is a sense in which we might wish to be delivered, but how deep is that wish actually? Many people say they want to be delivered from something, but they say they just can't. Here is an example. Some say they want to quit smoking, but they can't since smoking has such a great hold on them. They pray, “O Lord, take away my craving.” But that doesn't work! They don't really mean business. If they really mean it, they will call upon God's enabling grace, trusting Christ to deliver them because of His death for that purpose.

The writer of Hebrews gives a detailed account of what many people who accomplished through faith under the OLD covenant! Then he mentions several others:

And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. (Hebrews 11:32-34)

Then after telling us about these heroes of faith, he indicates that since we have such a large crowd of witnesses to what can be accomplished through faith even in the old order, surely we can overcome sin though it clings so closely to us.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. (Hebrews 12:1-4)

Jesus is the founder and completer of faith. So surely we can exercise trust in Him to deliver us from wrongdoing. In the passage above, the writer speaks of a STRUGGLE against sin. Next, he indicates that if we don't struggle and overcome through faith, then God will discipline us for our good, so that we might overcome, and become righteous.

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. (Hebrews 12:5-8)

The writer then tells us that the purpose of God's disciple is that we might share his holiness:

Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the spiritual Father and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. (Hebrews 12:9-10)

Then the writer tells us that God's discipline will later yield the peaceful fruit of righteousness for those who have been trained by it. That Greek word translated as “trained” refers to vigorous exercise such as one trains oneself in a gymnasium.

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. (Hebrews 12:11-13)

“so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.” If we continue in wrongdoing, our hearts and minds are going to be so affected that they will not function properly. Just as a lame leg, put out of joint, exacerbates our ability to walk, so will our ability to overcome wrongdoing, and to work righteousness be exacerbated if we do not struggle to do so.

Finally a warning:

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. (Hebrews 12:14)

Unless we become holy (separate from sin), we will never see the Lord. Salvation is that process by which we continue to become more and more free from sin. If we continue on the narrow path which leads to righteousness, then when Christ comes, He will put the finishing touches on us, so that we will be ready to see the Lord and be with Him forever. But if we get off the narrow path, we will need correction before we are ready to meet the Lord — and if we persist in unrighteousness until our death, we will require a very severe correction in the Lake of Fire. Surely we need to be spared that!

I fear the vast majority of Christendom have been deceived about salvation. They think they can be spared the flames of hell simply by “trusting in the finished work of Christ on the cross.” They think that being righteous and holy is “a good thing” but unnecessary in order to be with Christ forever. They think that perfection is impossible even though Christ taught, “Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect!” Jesus wouldn't ask us to be perfect, if it were impossible.
So let's continue in our struggle against sin, and our determination to work righteousness (together with God). We cannot overcome alone. God will not do it for us. But together with Him, we can succeed!

I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Re: The Enabling Grace of God

Post by Homer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Paidion,

You wrote:
I'm not talking about a mere covering of our sin. I'm not talking about a substitution for us, so that Christ took our punishment in our place. I'm not talking about justification in the sense that God does not see our sin when He looks at us, but sees only Christ's righteousness. I'm talking about a real deliverance from sin in our lives, so that we actually live righteously in our everyday lives!
When you say a "mere" covering it seems you have limited the antecedent in your concern for the limit some place on the consequent. Why not advocate both? Are both incompatable somehow as consequents?
I fear the vast majority of Christendom have been deceived about salvation. They think they can be spared the flames of hell simply by “trusting in the finished work of Christ on the cross.” They think that being righteous and holy is “a good thing” but unnecessary in order to be with Christ forever.
That hasn't been my experience but I am not around the "eternal security" or liberal Christians much, if that's who you have in mind. And the conservative Calvinists would probably deny the person in sin was ever saved.

You also wrote this:
Unless we become holy (separate from sin), we will never see the Lord. Salvation is that process by which we continue to become more and more free from sin. If we continue on the narrow path which leads to righteousness, then when Christ comes, He will put the finishing touches on us, so that we will be ready to see the Lord and be with Him forever.
And then this:
They think that perfection is impossible even though Christ taught, “Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect!” Jesus wouldn't ask us to be perfect, if it were impossible.
When you speak of "perfection" (first quote), that is not the same as progressive sanctification ,which I see in your second statement. But if perfection (Grk. teleios) is translated as complete, grown up, mature, (as is its meaning) then both quotes are understandable, and we are in agreement. The perfectionist movement folks didn't become perfect, they just defined sin down.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:32 am

Finally a warning:

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. (Hebrews 12:14)

Unless we become holy (separate from sin), we will never see the Lord. Salvation is that process by which we continue to become more and more free from sin. If we continue on the narrow path which leads to righteousness, then when Christ comes, He will put the finishing touches on us, so that we will be ready to see the Lord and be with Him forever. But if we get off the narrow path, we will need correction before we are ready to meet the Lord — and if we persist in unrighteousness until our death, we will require a very severe correction in the Lake of Fire. Surely we need to be spared that!

I think the actual striving for holiness and peace is what is meant as no one is holy as Christ is. Also i think it's important to remember what James said regarding sin which is when we know to do good and we don't , that qualifies as sin. It's our responsibility not to just not harm others but to help them, that is a part of loving our neighbor.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Steve7150 wrote:I think the actual striving for holiness and peace is what is meant as no one is holy as Christ is. Also i think it's important to remember what James said regarding sin which is when we know to do good and we don't , that qualifies as sin. It's our responsibility not to just not harm others but to help them, that is a part of loving our neighbor.
I am trying to understand your first statement, Steve. Are you saying that holiness is unnecessary in order to see the Lord? Are you saying that we need only to strive for holiness in order to see Him? Are you saying that the failure to strive for holiness that will result in not seeing the Lord?

I fully agree with your second and third statement.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Homer wrote:When you say a "mere" covering it seems you have limited the antecedent in your concern for the limit some place on the consequent. Why not advocate both?
When I say "mere covering", I am referring to those who say that this is all that is necessary in order to get right with God. They say that no one can refrain from sinning, that we continue to be sinners in spite of being "born again." They say that Paul indicated that he was still under the power of sin in Romans 7. All of the forgoing, I deny.

The reason I don't advocate both is that I do not find the "covering for sin" in the scriptures in the sense that these people proclaim it. I do not find penal substitution in the scriptures. I do find deliverance from sin in the scriptures. The very meaning of "being saved" is "being delivered". Some believe they will be delivered from the consequence of sin (hell) through Christ's sacrifice. I see that as a side benefit. We are primarily delivered from sin itself. Jesus died to entirely eliminate sin.

Heb 9:26 ...he has appeared once for all at the end of the age to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Paidion

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:31 pm

I am trying to understand your first statement, Steve. Are you saying that holiness is unnecessary in order to see the Lord? Are you saying that we need only to strive for holiness in order to see Him? Are you saying that the failure to strive for holiness that will result in not seeing the Lord?

I wouldn't describe striving for holiness as "only to strive" as we are all sinners and striving for holiness is a lifelong endeavor. I think that no one is holy apart from Christ and believers all strive to live righteously but it is in fact a battle between our flesh and spirit as i believe Paul described in Rom 7.
Do you consider yourself holy or do you know anyone who is holy? Apart from Christ i'm not holy and i'm not aware of anyone who is apart from Christ.
Perhaps it depends on the definition of holy, i assumed it meant pure as in sinless but if it is meant to be set apart for the service of God maybe it has a different emphasis.
However John did say that if we claim to be without sin we are liars, so i think striving for holiness is a major change of direction for the natural man.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 pm

steve7150,

Good post!

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:54 am

Steve7150 wrote:Apart from Christ i'm not holy and i'm not aware of anyone who is apart from Christ.
Well..uhhh... That's actually what I've been trying to say all along. I've been saying that Christ's sacrificial death has made God's enabling grace available to us to overcome wrongdoing. I've been saying that self-effort may have a degree of success, but sooner or later we will fail and slip into wrong doing again. However, I have also been saying that salvation does not come to us from "trusting in the finished work of Christ" in order to get to heaven, but that this enabling grace becomes available by repenting (having a change of heart and mind), submitting ourselves to the authority of Christ, sealing our commitment with baptism, and coöperating with the enabling grace of God in order to move toward perfection, believing that we will actually be delivered, and receiving the finishing touches of that process at our resurrection at the second coming of Christ.
Paidion

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:49 am

Paidion,

You wrote:
I've been saying that Christ's sacrificial death has made God's enabling grace available to us to overcome wrongdoing.
But can you explain how or when a person receives eternal life, that is, when a person's state is changed from "lost" to being in Christ? I arranged your post into steps to help us understand your position:
I have also been saying that salvation does not come to us from "trusting in the finished work of Christ" in order to get to heaven, but that this enabling grace becomes available:

1. by repenting (having a change of heart and mind),

2. submitting ourselves to the authority of Christ,

3. sealing our commitment with baptism,

4. and coöperating with the enabling grace of God in order to move toward perfection,

5. believing that we will actually be delivered,

6. and receiving the finishing touches of that process at our resurrection at the second coming of Christ.
Some of the above steps would appear to be a one time thing and others a daily thing. How does a person know they are in Christ? And when they are out?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:01 am

It seems I am always seeking the middle when there are opposing viewpoints and can see Paidion's perspective as perhaps describing the normative experience of a Christian life -- some may be cut short and still see Christ and live in the new creation. Others may fail to follow that path entirely and still be "saved." Couldn't a man be "in Christ" and hence a new creation and still have room for growth -- the more one conforms to Paidion's norm the more one is walking in the Spirit, but still in Christ. Depending on the individual's commitment and state of their heart, they may or may not finish the race well and may either have temporal judgment to come or fail to see Christ (if they do not remain in Christ).

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”