Can a christian sin?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
john6809

Re: Can a christian sin?

Post by john6809 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Paidion wrote:I was wondering, John, how you interpret the following passage:

(Heb 6:4-8 ESV)
Paidion,

I understand that Hebrews is addressed to Jewish converts to Christianity. It seems as though they are in danger of turning back to their old ways of following Judaism. The writer of Hebrews spends the first two chapters showing them that Jesus is greater than the angels. Then he shows that Jesus is greater than Moses. He then starts to go into a teaching about the high priesthood of Jesus where he relates Jesus to Melchizedek. At this point, the writer seems to go into a lengthy aside from the main body of his letter to them.

I see this parenthetical section starting at Hebrews 5:11 and concluding at the end of chapter six. He indicates that he would like to explain how Jesus relates to Melchizedek but finds that they are dull of hearing, making it hard to explain to them. The teaching of the high priesthood of Jesus continues in chapter seven.

In between, he explains to them how they have not progressed beyond the basics of the Christian faith (6:1-3).
The portion from 6:4 – 8 seems to be a stern warning to these people to not fall away from the faith and the difficulty that would be faced in restoring one to repentance after falling away. This would be consistent with the idea that these Hebrew readers were indeed struggling with the idea that Jesus and the new covenant are greater than Moses and the law and with the fact that they have not progressed well in their new faith, but remain as mere babes, drinking the milk instead of eating the strong meat of the word. As such, they would be in danger of falling away from a relationship with God that is based on a saving faith in Jesus.

I could go into more detail, but would like to avoid a more lengthy post for the sake of other readers. If this doesn’t explain my position well enough, I would be happy to answer more questions.

John
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

jesusrules777

Post by jesusrules777 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:40 am

Jesus took care of our sin debt at the cross. We are, however, still left with the old nature, self, flesh which continually makes ungodly choices. (sin, otherwise known as separation from God)

Many people ask why God chose to allow His son to be killed for our sins? We need to remember that Jesus was not only God's son, but God Himself. God came down to earth in the physical form of His son and voluntarily CHOSE (submitted) to physical death on the cross. Why? Could it be that He doesn't ask us to do anything He hasn't done? Could He have been leading my example, instead of just lip service? Aren't we called to DAILY pick up the cross and crucify our flesh? What kind of parent would He be if He required such a challenging daily action if He hadn't first displayed how it is done? The most awesome part of this is that humans are NOT capable of this daily crucifiction without God's Spirit living inside of us, just as He did in JESUS. His brilliant creative ability set this whole earth school up in a fashion where He love us first, He dies for us first, and He LIVES in and through us to enable that love and daily death to occur. He created us in His image so we were created to allow Him by His Spirit to carry out His plan. We are not our own, we were bought with a price and every time we choose to follow our flesh, we choose sin. God hates sin because it separates us from Him and hinders His living through us. Our selfishness blocks His righteousness.

SamMcNear

Post by SamMcNear » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Our selfishness blocks His righteousness
But we are righteous not of our own works but of the finished work of Jesus. I may conclude our selfishness blocks Gods blessings that are not included in what Christ acomplished on the cross (the atonment). Rightouesness comes from Jesus' work not our work. I would like to study what all is included in the atonment along with rightousness.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 pm

SamMcNear wrote:But we are righteous not of our own works but of the finished work of Jesus.
hey sam, i think jesusrules meant the righteous work God wills to work in and through us, not whether or not we are counted as righteous in Christ. sort of like: "...for we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works..."

grace and peace
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”