kaleidescope atonement

Man, Sin, & Salvation
mattrose

kaleidescope atonement

Post by mattrose » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:22 pm

I've seen it referred to as the kaleidescope view of the atonement... the idea that there are a number of atonement metaphors in the Bible for good reason and that none of them should necessarily be seen as exclusive or even primary. Scot McKnight's book 'A Community Called Atonement' is pretty noteworthy in this regard (I just finished reading it).

Meanwhile, I'm working on a sermon series through the keywords of John 3:16 and I'm devoting the next 2 weeks to the words WORLD and GAVE. What is the problem with the world that necessitated the Father giving the son? I've decided to focus on 5 problems rather than just 1.

The problem(s) with the world
War- The world has been taken over by the oppressive regime of Satan
Outlaws- We have broken God's law
Relations- Humanity is divided, seemingly beyond repair
Leaders- Our leaders, over and over, fail us
Disconnect- We are cut off from the source of life

We see all these features in Genesis 3, it seems. The serpent attacked Eve and won (W). Adam & Eve broke the law (O). Adam & Eve covered themselves, were no longer as intimate (R). Adam failed to 'lead' Eve in the right path (L). They were removed from Eden and no longer had access to the tree of life (D).

And we see all these features again in John 3. There's the OT reference to the snake-bitten people (W). The idea that men love darkness (O). The fact that Nicodemus had to come in the cover of night (R). The fact that Nicodemus, a religious leader, didn't know basic truths (L) and, of course, the reference to our natural lack of access to eternal life outside of Jesus (D).

It seems to me the W problem is essentially the Christus Victor model of the atonment. Jesus resolves the problem by defeating the devil via the cross/resurrection. The O problem is addressed by the substitution/satisfaction models of the atonement. We are outlaws and justice should be done against us, but Jesus takes our place and/or satisfies justice. The R problem is broken relationships and is resolved by Christ's recapitulation of Adam's story. Jesus is Adam done right (and then some). The L problem (a lack of leadership) is resolved by the perfect life and example that Jesus gives us, especially in his demonstration of love via the cross (moral influence theory of atonement). The D problem, that we are cut off from the source of life, seems to lend itself to the seemingly broader recapitulation theory mentioned under R (indeed, McKnight thinks recapitulation is the 'bag' that can hold all these atonement metaphor clubs).

So Jesus defeated the devil, dealt with our sin, started a new family, demonstrated true love, and connected us to the source of life through His atoning incarnation, life, death, resurrection, and sending of the Spirit (McKnight is adamant that atonement isn't just about the cross).

I think this is right... and while some atonement theories may carry more weight than others, I do think there are elements of truth in all the major ones (Though some need some tweaking, I'm sure).

RICHinCHRIST

Re: kaleidescope atonement

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 pm

mattrose wrote:I think this is right... and while some atonement theories may carry more weight than others, I do think there are elements of truth in all the major ones (Though some need some tweaking, I'm sure).
I agree. When I first heard about Christus Victor, I think I went too far on that side of the kaleidoscope. It was just such a freeing revelation to know that the devil has been utterly rendered powerless through the cross (John 12:31). It's great to meditate on one aspect at a time, but in retrospect, I was quite inbalanced.

Perry

Post by Perry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 pm

mattrose wrote:Meanwhile, I'm working on a sermon series...
Matt, are your sermons recorded?

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:09 am

Not very often. My regular preaching is in a small church. I don't even use a mic. I preach there and then drive to my home church and do the same message in Sunday school class. The only time my sermons are recorded are when I'm preaching at my home church in the absence of our senior pastor.

Perry

Post by Perry » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:01 am

You know? Now that I've seen you're answer I think I may have asked you that before. If you have any of your messages lying around, I'd love to hear them. (I can convert tapes to MP3 for you if you'd like ;).

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 am

The problem(s) with the world
War- The world has been taken over by the oppressive regime of Satan
Outlaws- We have broken God's law
Relations- Humanity is divided, seemingly beyond repair
Leaders- Our leaders, over and over, fail us
Disconnect- We are cut off from the source of life

We see all these features in Genesis 3, it seems. The serpent attacked Eve and won (W). Adam & Eve broke the law (O). Adam & Eve covered themselves, were no longer as intimate (R). Adam failed to 'lead' Eve in the right path (L). They were removed from Eden and no longer had access to the tree of life (D).

And we see all these features again in John 3. There's the OT reference to the snake-bitten people (W). The idea that men love darkness (O). The fact that Nicodemus had to come in the cover of night (R). The fact that Nicodemus, a religious leader, didn't know basic truths (L) and, of course, the reference to our natural lack of access to eternal life outside of Jesus (D).

What a profound idea! Is from Mcknight's book or did you think of this Matt?

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Both/and

I created the acrostic and related it to Gen3 and John3 on my own, but the eclectic view of the atonement and the fact that each atonement theory tends to look at the 'problem' differently is something McKnight communicated very well in his book. Even the parts tha I created/connected must be partly due to him or else I wouldn't have put it all together right after reading his book, haha ;)

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”