Decoding Neanderthals

Man, Sin, & Salvation
dwilkins

Decoding Neanderthals

Post by dwilkins » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 pm

The title of the thread comes from the title of a PBS Nova show on human/Neanderthal DNA mixing. It seems to me that there are 1,000 questions that could be asked from the implications of these studies (a good number of them are directly related to Christianity). I wonder if anyone here has done much research into the topic.

Doug

dwilkins

Re: Decoding Neanderthals

Post by dwilkins » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:55 am

To flesh out the topic a little, the point of the show is that everyone has somewhere between 1.5% and 4% of Neanderthal genes in their DNA. They can track the DNA insertion back about 30,000 years,

1. So much for a 6,000 year old earth.

The distribution of DNA is also not consistent. Southern Europeans have the highest amount, Africans and Chinese have the lowest. If we were to say that the Neanderthals were a lower form of creation (an important point of discussion) then are we saying that European whites are less pure blood human than Africans or Chinese (with the opposite question if Neanderthals were somehow more highly evolved, though where they came from would be an interesting question)? Since there is an ongoing debate in Christian circles about giants (or Nephilim) in early Biblical narratives one wonders whether Neanderthals would fit this bill. One of the precepts of some Christian authors is that the reason there had to be a flood is that the human genome had to be protected against Nephilim intrusion.

2. Would everyone having Neanderthal DNA in their genes indicate that the flood failed?

If the Neanderthals were a part of evolutionary history, how did humans come to be separated from them to the extent that they have unique DNA? It only took a few thousand years of mingling at the end of the Ice Age for humans to absorb Neanderthals, wiping out all of the pure blood ones. So, why didn't that happen a long time ago? Were humans stuck on an island like Australia for millions of years before being reintroduced to an evolving world?

3. I highly doubt this is possible, but what other explanation for a unique humans blood line is there (other than creation?)?

There are a number of other questions or that will come to mind as we think through this, but it's going to be an important topic. I suggest that we come up with reasonable approach before the singularity (which will be its own crisis), which Drudge is reporting is only 30 years away (the singularity is where the technology will exist to upload the conscious mind into computers granting a sort of immortality).

Doug

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:25 am

It is not like young-earth creationists don't have lots of literature on this issue. Therefore, I think it is rather trite to just dismiss it so quickly "so much for..."

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 am

Some people place a great deal of faith in the findings of scientists who place a great deal of faith in the unscientific theory of evolution.

Having assumed that their highly questionable findings of are true, scientists who place their faith in evolution then go on to make other assumptions and speculations that, in turn, morph into facts in their minds. Soon, outlets like NPR have the masses nodding and believing that speculation is fact. “Oh, what a tangled web we weave!”

There are scientists who disagree with the procedures and “facts” cranked out by the Neanderthal DNA project. We should be careful to examine their criticism before blindly accepting the findings of those they are critiquing. Too often, folks excitedly run off with what they think is a bag of diamonds, but that contains only dust.

For starters, you can find some information at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal_genome_project

Please pay special attention to the critics’ findings (bottom of page).

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Since there is an ongoing debate in Christian circles about giants (or Nephilim) in early Biblical narratives one wonders whether Neanderthals would fit this bill.
I watched this documentary a few months ago and the same thought crossed my mind. One issue is the Neanderthal’s population seemed to be centered in Europe, since that’s where they are making the major Neanderthal discoveries. I’m not sure if this would jive with the Biblical record. This would also explain, by the way, the higher DNA % in Europeans since they lived in the same territory. Seems to make sense.
If the Neanderthals were a part of evolutionary history, how did humans come to be separated from them to the extent that they have unique DNA? It only took a few thousand years of mingling at the end of the Ice Age for humans to absorb Neanderthals, wiping out all of the pure blood ones. So, why didn't that happen a long time ago? Were humans stuck on an island like Australia for millions of years before being reintroduced to an evolving world?
If you go along with the theory that modern man came out of Africa up through Europe into Asia and beyond (DNA markers indicate this),then it could be possible that Neanderthals lived largely separately at one time in Europe, hence developing the distinguishable gene mentioned in the documentary that enabled them to live in the harsher and colder climate.

Amateur science hat is now off….

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:52 pm

I don't necessarily believe in evolution per se. My point was that the science of genetics clearly indicates activity extending farther back than 6,000 years ago, so the 6,000 year old earth narrative seems obviously shaky to me (astronomers and geologists have their own versions of this as well). I don't know how (and don't have any firm theories on how) or when God made the world we live in. But, if it turns out that there is some bona fide Neanderthal DNA mixed in with Homo Sapien DNA then we might have to adjust our understanding of the story of Adam and significant other doctrines.

Doug

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 pm

But I think the point of some of us is that 'the science of genetics' does NOT clearly indicate activity extending back that far. There are serious concerns with some of the dating methods. You're wanting some of us to start with a premise we don't necessarily agree with. You mentioned astronomy and geology, but those are both fields open to various interpretations as well.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”