Eternal life

Man, Sin, & Salvation
jaydam

Eternal life

Post by jaydam » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:54 am

During a word search it seems that all I see is that eternal life is offered to the saved.

Am I missing a verse that lets us know that all people (saved & unsaved) have eternal life?
Last edited by jaydam on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremiah

Re: Enteral life

Post by jeremiah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:06 pm

Hello Jay,
...a verse that lets us know that all people (saved & unsaved) have eternal life?
What do you mean by have eternal life?

I don't think you're missing anything, but neither would a CU in the way you've worded it. Aside from ultra universalists, most say anyone redeemed out of hell will not be until some time after judgement day. I think most would also place this after the resurrection as well.

Grace and peace.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:14 am

Due to the typo on the OP's thread, when I saw this my brain read it "Entrail Life"...lol....sorry, needed some comic relief... :lol:

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

alaskazimm

Post by alaskazimm » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 pm

jaydam wrote:During a word search it seems that all I see is that eternal life is offered to the saved.

Am I missing a verse that lets us know that all people (saved & unsaved) have eternal life?

I don't think you're missing anything. 1 Tim 6:16 says that God alone has immortality. This ties in very nicely with John 5:19-29 where, among other things, Jesus states that the Father has life in himself (v26) and granted that life to the Son. v21 says the Son gives life to whom he will; whom he wills to give life to are the ones who believe (v24). You can make a pretty airtight case (imo) using these verses that only the believers have eternal life and the unbelievers do not.

jeremiah

Re: Eternal life

Post by jeremiah » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Jaydam,

what's the context you're asking the question in?
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

jaydam

Re: Eternal life

Post by jaydam » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 am

jeremiah wrote:What do you mean by have eternal life?
I believe I meant just that. It came up in seminary class regarding the Johannine writings that the apostle believed salvation was the gift of eternal life. So, on the flip side of the idea I asked if that meant John believed one would not exist eternally unless they were saved. While the professor said no, some students came up to me afterwards and were interested in my question. We decided to do a word study on every occurrence of the word "life" to see if it is ever mentioned in the sense of eternal existence outside of salvation. We could not find such an idea.
TheEditor wrote:Due to the typo on the OP's thread, when I saw this my brain read it "Entrail Life"...lol....sorry, needed some comic relief... :lol:

Regards, Brenden.
Lol. I'm glad I could brighten your day :) After I posted it I could not figure out how to edit the title of my thread...
jeremiah wrote:Jaydam,

what's the context you're asking the question in?
The context would be the above story I just told about the class on the writings of John.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Hello Jaydam,

Yeah man, that makes it a little clearer. I would generally agree that eternal life is only offered to those that are saved. But the reason I emphasized "have" as I did was this. If we were to equate eternal life with immortality, then I don't think anybody(lost or saved) has that currently except of course God and Jesus. And at the risk of looking really picky(which I promise I don't intend to be :) ) I think the phrase translated, "eternal life" was intended to convey something like being alive and breathing in the age to come, not unending existence. I think the NT writers used other more specific words for that—incorruption, and immortality.

Grace and peace to you man.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:15 pm

Jaydam wrote:Lol. I'm glad I could brighten your day :) After I posted it I could not figure out how to edit the title of my thread...
Jaydam, just go to your original post and hit "edit". This permits you to edit not only your post, but the title as well.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”