Saints and sinners

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Michelle

Re: Saints and sinners

Post by Michelle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 am

I side with morbo. I guess this starts another list with M&M. :)

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 am

Singalphile wrote:
morbo3000 wrote:I am more and more convinced that "theology matters," as I've been saying to people around me. What we believe about this stuff plays out in how we embody Jesus in our churches, and in our ministry in the world.
Funny. Lately, I've been more convinced that theology doesn't matter so much, if by "theology" we mean what people usually mean by it.
What do people usually mean by it?

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:28 pm

> I am more and more convinced that "theology matters,"

Examples:

- Communion is a different experience if you believe that it is a symbol, or a divine transaction.
- Church is different if you believe Jesus is primarily known by his embodiment as his hands and feet. Or if he is primarily known through the preaching of the Bible and "correct" beliefs.
- Sanctification is different if you believe that it is God who initiates sanctification or man.

Each of these examples impacts the "type" of Christian a person is. How a church does ministry. And what it believes is the "transaction" that occurs when a person is making a decision to become a Christian.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Singalphile wrote:Lately, I've been more convinced that theology doesn't matter so much, if by "theology" we mean what people usually mean by it.
Michelle wrote:What do people usually mean by it?
I think Christian people (including me) usually mean concepts related to the finer points and distinctive views of christology, pneumatology, hamartiology, soteriology, eschatology, etc. within Christianity. (I don't even know what all of those mean!) Actually, I may have been thinking of of the word "doctrine" when I wrote "theology".
morbo3000 wrote: - Communion is a different experience if you believe that it is a symbol, or a divine transaction.
- Church is different if you believe Jesus is primarily known by his embodiment as his hands and feet. Or if he is primarily known through the preaching of the Bible and "correct" beliefs.
- Sanctification is different if you believe that it is God who initiates sanctification or man.

Each of these examples impacts the "type" of Christian a person is. How a church does ministry. And what it believes is the "transaction" that occurs when a person is making a decision to become a Christian.
They might. The degree that they do, for better or worse if at all, would depend on the person, I would say.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:34 pm

I think Christian people (including me) usually mean concepts related to the finer points and distinctive views of...
- Christology
- Pneumatology
- Hamartiology
- Soteriology
- Eschatology
Don't these each impact how we live?
- What it means, as an individual, to live out our faith?
- What we believe evangelizing others and living the kingdom of God (ministry to the poor and outcast) looks like?
- How the church does body life. re: What happens when it congregates, the form it takes?
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:09 pm

I think we ought to be very careful when we disparage doctrine or theology.

Paul wrote:

2 Timothy 4:3-4, New American Standard Bible (NASB)

3. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4. and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Knowing truth involves knowing correct doctrine.

Jesus commanded that we go and make disciples....teaching them to obey everything He commanded. Doctrine (Grk didaskalia) is that which is taught. The Sermon on the Mount is full of doctrine. And theology involves the study of the teachings of the church.

I have heard it said that we ought to forget about doctrine, but what I think was meant is that we should not be squabbling over non-essential things. But then we would need to agree on what is non-essential.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that I think what we perceive as doctrine today is likely quite different than what the first century disciples considered doctrine. I have a hard time believing that if correct thinking on a point of mental apprehension (what the nature of the Son's relationship to the Father is; the intermediate state, etc) could have meant nearly as much when the Scriptures were written as they do to many today. If it were, I would expect the letters of Paul to be statements of faith; "We affirm that there is one God and that he is expressed in three seperate and distinct persons, all co-equal......"

I ain't seein' it.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:53 pm

You are right, Brenden. The Greek word translated as "doctrine" actually means "teaching". This Christian teaching was instruction in ways to live a Godly, righteous life.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks Paidion.

You know, the ever-changing avatars throw me for a loop. What happened to the last one where you looked like a member of The Four Lads? :D

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:08 pm

I didn't mean to dismiss theology or doctrine. There are several theological/doctrinal concepts that are very important.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”