dwilkins

Re: Double imputation?

Post by dwilkins » Fri May 02, 2014 12:56 pm

jaydam wrote:
dwilkins wrote: G1342
δίκαιος
dikaios
dik'-ah-yos
From G1349; equitable (in character or act); by implication innocent, holy (absolutely or relatively): - just, meet, right (-eous).

G1343
δικαιοσύνη
dikaiosunē
dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay
From G1342; equity (of character or act); specifically (Christian) justification: - righteousness.

G1344
δικαιόω
dikaioō
dik-ah-yo'-o
From G1342; to render (that is, show or regard as) just or innocent: - free, justify (-ier), be righteous.
I did a word study, and something it gives me that I do not see in your definitions is "to be put right with" - it seems this is critical because this does not imply innocence or equitable character as much as a relational standing.

It seems for God to declare me morally perfect or truly innocent seems to deny the truth, as I believe was stated earlier, but for God to declare me in right standing with him does not deny the reality of my guilt and imperfection.
That's the basic point. God wants you to act righteously. But, he gets that sometimes you don't. Trying to pretend otherwise is pointless. And, trying to argue that you are somehow imputed with someone else's perfect morality would require some sort of suspension of reality. On the other hand, if Christ was declared acceptable because he was completely faithful, and the success of that allows God to declare you acceptable because you are having faith in Christ then I think the paradigm starts to be easier to understand.

Doug

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”