Timing of sanctification

Man, Sin, & Salvation
jaydam

Timing of sanctification

Post by jaydam » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 pm

The church I left a couple of weeks ago, along with many others that I talk to, believe that justification happens at the moment of salvation, but sanctification is a work in progress which will never be completed until life here is over.

With this in mind, they excuse people's habitual sins by saying, "Well, its just where they are in sanctification. The Holy Spirit will work on them at some point." The process of sanctification becomes an excuse to allow sin, and no resonsibility on a pastor to deal with sin because the pastor puts it on the Holy Spirit and the sanctification process. The one who is really blamed for the sin of the individual is the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit has not done a work in the believer yet to keep them from their habitual sin.

I agree with them to an extent regarding when sanctification will be complete, however, I also see evidence that sanctification is something that should be expected to happen more on earth. (Heb 10:14; 1Co 1:12; Heb 2:11; and more)

How have you guys come to see sanctification? Is it something that can be expected in this lifetime to a much greater degree than the church chooses to expect?

I don't say this with pride, but in 3 short years since I have been saved, I have come to live a relatively sanctified life in comparison with many people who have more years, some many more, than I do. I am not saying I am perfect, nor am I saying I can put a timeframe on everybody based upon my life. However, when discussions arise related to Christian lifestyle, I am told I should hold none to an expectation of improvement, that is only for the Holy Spirit to move them towards perfection.

This seems to miss the fervor I have personally committed to cutting off things from my life out of my love for God, and again removes the expectation of personal responsibility in committing to a Christ lifestyle, while placing the blame on God and the Holy Spirit.

My fervor is not to look good or be a legalist, but is based upon the love of God he directed at me first which has brought me to reciprocate my life by directing it towards him. My fervor is an outgrowth of what God has done in me, but is also a personal choice to pursue.

mattrose

Re: Timing of sanctification

Post by mattrose » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:56 pm

It is necessary for God to start the process of our salvation alone, but God has no interest in completing the work alone. God is a relational God that prefers to partner with creation to bring about something beautiful. We have the role of continual consecration. God has the role of continual sanctification. There is no room for a lack of repentance over sin in the Christian life. It is one thing to recognize how far we have yet to go (in the sanctification process) and another thing to blame a lack of progress on the Spirit. I'm thinking that if there is a delay in the synergistic work of sanctification... it has far more to do with me and less to do with God.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Image Matt

Working together (synergy) with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. (2Cor 6:1 ESV)

I think sanctification is tantamount to salvation. Our salvation from sin is a process. That doesn't mean that sin is "allowed" in our lives. Rather:

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Php 1:6 ESV)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Seems to me Paul took our part in sanctification to be of great importance:

1 Corinthians 9:27, New American Standard Bible (NASB)

27. but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Image Homer!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”