The True Gospel

Man, Sin, & Salvation
dizerner

Re: The True Gospel

Post by dizerner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:38 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:02 am

So here's my question: can baptism be a work?

And here's my answer: any act can be a work according to how you view the act.

Now I can agree with you, if you mean a baptism that does not involve a sincere repentance and intent to follow Jesus, but instead amounts to "certain ones who trusted in themselves that they were righteous" (Matthew 18:9).

In a true baptism the baptizer is God. The person who baptizes is little more than furniture.

wwalkeriv

Post by wwalkeriv » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 am

Thank you Paidion and Steve for the responses to my question.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi, dizerner.

Thanks for your response. I don't disagree with any of it. That may mean that there's just a difference in emphasis.

Some clarifications (and questions):
  • A person does not become a Christian only if and after he performs a certain amount of good deeds. I don't 'think anyone's saying otherwise.
  • A new believer will not necessarily spontaneously feel that he needs to get submerged in water. Notice Acts 8:

"35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. 36 As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?" (NASB)

Philip taught baptism. It is a part of the gospel "package" (if you will), I think. That is what I would think we can all agree to, regardless of any more specific opinion about baptism. Based on the NT examples, it should be coupled with conversion, asap, right?
  • The expectation of obedience is implicit in the confession that Jesus is Lord. I think it should be made explicit (especially in our culture).
  • Every one agrees that "a lot of self-righteous Christians" would be a bad thing. It's a sinful attitude, no doubt. Should Christians try to not have that attitude, or should we try to not try to not have that attitude?
  • But seriously, faith without works is useless (James 2:20), and faith and works without love is nothing (1 Cor 13:2-3).
  • Hebrews 3 instructs us to "take care" and "encourage one another" to avoid sin. The NT is of course chock full of such instructions about godly living. We need instructions, I think. As followers of Jesus, we should be very glad to have them.
  • If anyone needs reminding, "... for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." (Phil 2:13 NASB).
  • Lastly, you mention "the law" frequently, but I think there's a bit of equivocation there. I think that when Jesus or His apostles talked about "the law", they were usually talking about the Mosaic law.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”