The True Gospel

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Paidion

The True Gospel

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:27 pm

The Gospel According to John the Baptizer
According to John the Baptizer, there were two requirements necessary to become a member of the Kingdom:
1.Repent
2.Be baptized. The end or purpose of baptism was the affirmation of one’s decision, the entrance into the door of salvation, and the beginning of the process of sending sin out of one’s life, and thus the bearing of fruit that is worthy of repentance.

The Gospel According to Jesus
Matt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

John 4:1-3 Now when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John (although Jesus himself did not baptize, but only his disciples), he left Judea and departed again to Galilee.

Jesus proclaimed the same requirements! Repent and be baptized. The Greek word translated “repent” literally means to have a change of mind.

The Gospel According to Peter
After Peter had addressed the men of Judea, showing that God had raised Jesus from the death, and that they had crucified Him, the following exchange took place:

Acts 2:36-39
“... Let all the house of Israel therefore know assuredly that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."

Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?"
And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the sending away of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him."

What were Peter’s requirements to appropriate the benefits of the Gospel? Repent and be baptized! The only difference was that now that Jesus had been raised, the gift of His Spirit was given.

Now some claim that John the baptizer and Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom, but that the apostle Paul opened the new order of the Church by preaching the gospel of grace. C.I. Scofield, in his notes on Matthew 5:5 went so far as to affirm
"…the Sermon on the Mount in its primary application gives neither the privilege nor the duty of the Church.” ---- Scofield Reference Bible, 1917 edition.
In other words, it is neither the duty nor even the privilege of the Christian to obey the laws of Christ expressed in those chapters.

Scofield taught that Christ’s teachings in the “Sermon on the Mount” were the laws of the kingdom offered to the Jews, but that since the Jews rejected the kingdom it was to be postponed. Such teachers declare that now that we are under grace, we should listen to Paul, for the words of Christ no longer apply to us who live in the age of grace.

But as Paul made abundantly clear, there is only one gospel. That one gospel is the gospel of the Kingdom and Paul himself preached it!

The Gospel According to Paul

Acts 28:30,31 And he lived there two whole years at his own expense, and welcomed all who came to him, preaching the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ quite openly and unhindered.

But did Paul declare the necessity of repentance, as did John the Baptizer, Jesus, and Peter? Or did he teach that all that is necessary is to believe in the atoning work of Christ? In recounting to King Agrippa, his experience with Jesus on the road to Damascus, he concluded by saying,

Acts 26:19,20 "Wherefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those at Damascus, then at Jerusalem and throughout all the country of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God and perform deeds worthy of their repentance.

Does Paul’s gospel not resemble that proclaimed by John the baptizer? Yes, Paul preached repentance, and doing deeds worthy of repentance. But did Paul proclaim the necessity of baptism? We read:

Acts 18: 8 ...many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.

It was after they heard Paul that they were baptized. The necessity of baptism must have been implicit or explicit in Paul’s message. Otherwise, why would they get baptized? So Paul’s gospel not only “resembled” that of John the Baptizer; it was identical! But is baptism really necessary in order to get right with God? Let’s look at the life of Paul himself. When were his sins washed away? Was it on the road to Damascus when Jesus spoke to him, and he submitted? That experience certainly turned him around. He was blinded, and was then ready to do what the Lord Jesus told him to do. But later, it was Ananias who counseled him to be baptized. From Paul’s own account of the matter, Ananias said:

Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

So it was not when Jesus appeared to him on the road to Damascus, but at his baptism that Paul had his sins washed away. It was at his baptism.

Jesus taught:
John 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I tell you, unless one is generated of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Although there is much controversy about the meaning of “generated of water”, many understand it to be baptism. This view is consistent with Justin Martyr’s explanation of the ways of Christians to Augustus Caesar and to his son. Justin was born in 110 A.D. In chapter 61 of Justin’s “First Apology”, we find his explanation of Christian baptism:

I will also relate the manner in which we dedicated ourselves to God having been made new through Christ; lest, if we omit this, we seem to be unfair in the explanation we are making. As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them.
Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated... For Christ also said, “Except ye be generated again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.”... And how those who have sinned and repent shall escape their sins, is declared by Isaiah the prophet... he thus speaks: “Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from your souls; learn to do well; judge the fatherless, and plead for the widow: and come and let us reason together, saith the Lord. And though your sins be as scarlet, I will make them white like wool; and though they be as crimson, I will make them white as snow. But if ye refuse and rebel, the sword shall devour you: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.”...that he may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed, there is pronounced over him who chooses to be regenerated, and has repented of his sins, the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe...”

What About John 3:16 and Acts 16:29-31...?
Acts 16:29-31 And he (the Philippian jailer) called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas, and brought them out and said, “Men, what must I do to be saved?” And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Do these passages contradict the requirements Jesus and Peter gave for becoming right with God? Do they require something less to be saved? So often today, we hear that all you have to do to get right with God is “accept Christ as your personal saviour”. That’s a phrase we don’t find in any New Testament or early Christian writing. Or all you have to do is pray “God be merciful to me a sinner”, or “I realize I’m a sinner, Jesus, and that you died to save me. I hereby accept your finished work to make me fit for heaven.” Or some other prayer.

I recall a woman from my local area (we'll call her “G”) who affirmed that she would not become a Christian, because she just didn’t want to have to come to the front of a church and weep and cry.

Some time later, G told me that she found out from her Christian friend that a person doesn’t have to come forward, weeping and crying. “All you have to do,” G explained, “is say a little prayer, and you’ll be a Christian.” That’s the way G understood the “gospel” which was presented to her. One wonders how many people have “said the little prayer” and remained unchanged, but are under the delusion that they are now “saved”, so that they can go on living their lives as usual, but with the expectation that they’ll go to heaven when they die, or when they are raised again to life.

So, it is said that all we have to do is believe in Jesus. However, the whole crux of the matter lies in that little word Πιστευω (pisteuō) which has been translated “believe”. Indeed, the word does mean “believe” in many contexts. But another meaning is given in John’s account of Jesus’ life:

John 2:23-25 Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man’s testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man.

Is not “entrust” also the way the word is used in John 3:16 and Acts 16:29-31? If we entrust ourselves to Jesus, this includes repentance and baptism. “For God so loved the world … that whoever should entrust himself to Him would have lasting life.”

Identification With Man
Luke 13:5 I tell you ... unless you repent you will all likewise perish."
John 3:5 Jesus responded, "Truly, truly, I tell you, unless one is generated of water and Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
Then how is the death of Christ connected with salvation? For years I had no idea. Yet I believed the words of Paul that the Saviour’s death makes possible His enabling grace to help us live a life of righteousness before Him. More recently, I began to understand how Jesus’ death relates to our salvation from sin. Jesus began to identify with man when He was born as a human being. He was truly a human baby who cried and wet himself like any other baby. He lived the life of an ordinary man here on earth, becoming hungry and thirsty like other men, and being tempted to wrongdoing like other men, though through His relationship with His Father, He always chose the right over the wrong. And finally He died as a human being. The identification was complete. After He was raised, He and His Father came to dwell within His people. Christ in us — infiltrated through our entire being, and we in Christ — infiltrated through His entire being. Christ has put on humanity, and we have put on Christ.

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

God prepared a building made without hands, which is His Church. In the Father’s house (again the Church) are many dwelling places (John 14). The Body of Christ of which He is the Head is a single organism — we in Him and He in us. This magnificent unity has been made possible through Christ’s identification with us, the great finished work that Christ accomplished on Calvary’s tree.

Father, enable each one by your grace who considers your great salvation to understand its wonder, its depth, and its expression of your magnificent LOVE! Show them that the easy way that is being proclaimed today is deceiving people and leading them into death. It is falsely portraying your character.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Re: The True Gospel

Post by dizerner » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:04 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Piadion,

You've posted a lot of information concerning "The Bottom-Line" in regards to the contentions. However, I think it's safe to say the True Gospel, applied to ones life, is simply "Hearing and Believing in Yeshua as The Savior". I say this because of the conversion of The Thief on The Cross. No physical water, only The Water of The Gospel and Believing Faith from The Heart. With that said, having the opportunity to be obedient, following the righteous acts of identification with The Body, God will judge The Heart for non-compliance.

God Bless.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:09 pm

dizerner wrote:So is all of us sinning and falling short of his glory, just a sign that if we buckle up our bootstraps and really try harder to do what the New Testament says, presumably with Christ cheering us on, we will be able to grub together just enough holiness and obedience to please God? Or does that really miss the depth of our own sinfulness illuminated only by spiritual light of Him to whom all things are exposed and made bare?
I get this all the time from those who do not understand the gospel of Jesus and Jesus' requirements. I am charged with believing in "works" to save me. Look again at the OP? Do you see even one indications that "works" are necessary? Yes, baptism is necessary, but that is not a "work". It is sort of like signing a contract when purchasing a new car. You don't "buy" the new car by signing a contact. But neither will you get the car, if you don't sign.

Jesus taught, "Unless you forsake all and follow me, you CANNOT be my disciple." He didn't say that you would be a poor disciple or an ineffectual disciple, but that you couldn't be a disciple at all! (Luke 14:33).

We cannot claim that His words applied only to the twelve. He had many disciples other that the twelve. There is no difference between a disciple and a Christian. "The disciples were first called 'Christians' at Antioch (Acts 11:26)

People quote Paul to try to show that all one needs to do is "believe" or "trust in the finished work of Christ", etc. But this same Paul indicated that our behaviour is crucial:

For He will render to everyone according to his works.

To those who by perseverance in well-doing seek for glory and honour and immortality,He will give eternal life, but for those who are self-seeking and are not persuaded by the truth,but are persuaded by unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury. Affliction and anguish for every person who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honour and well-being for every one who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek, for God shows no partiality. (Romans 2:6-10)
Last edited by Paidion on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:21 pm

Robby wrote:... I think it's safe to say the True Gospel, applied to ones life, is simply "Hearing and Believing in Yeshua as The Savior". I say this because of the conversion of The Thief on The Cross. No physical water...
The thief on the cross had no opportunity to be baptized, and so Jesus took that into account. He knew the thief would have been baptized if he could have. Similarly, many on their death beds have come to Christ, but are physically unable to be baptized (immersed). God understands their hearts, that they would be baptized if they could.

In Mark 16:16, the writer affirms, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved..." If belief alone were sufficient, why did he add "and is baptized"?

Peter wrote, "...who formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you... (1 Peter 3:20,21

I know going into the water does not in itself save anyone, but as a sign of the covenant one makes with Christ, it clinches the deal.
Paidion

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Paidion wrote:
Robby wrote:... I think it's safe to say the True Gospel, applied to ones life, is simply "Hearing and Believing in Yeshua as The Savior". I say this because of the conversion of The Thief on The Cross. No physical water...
The thief on the cross had no opportunity to be baptized, and so Jesus took that into account. He knew the thief would have been baptized if he could have. Similarly, many on their death beds have come to Christ, but are physically unable to be baptized (immersed). God understands their hearts, that they would be baptized if they could.

In Mark 16:16, the writer affirms, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved..." If belief alone were sufficient, why did he add "and is baptized"?

Peter wrote, "...who formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you... (1 Peter 3:20,21

I know going into the water does not in itself save anyone, but as a sign of the covenant one makes with Christ, it clinches the deal.
Paidion,

You do know you're just repeating what I said, don't you? The Heart overrides subsequent actions, when time and circumstances are limited.

God Bless.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:33 pm

If I am repeating what you said, then perhaps it bears repeating, but in somewhat different terms.

However, I don't see it as repeating what you said. Your words seemed to indicate that the physical act baptism is not necessary because of the thief on the cross. Groups such as the Salvation Army, think baptism is unnecessary since it is merely outward, whereas, according to these groups, they do it inwardly

In my understanding of the scriptures and early Christian writing, physical baptism IS necessary, but that there are exceptions, where the physical act is not possible, and where the person would have obeyed, had he/she been able to do so. In such exceptional cases, their willingness is counted for baptism.
Paidion

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:59 am

Paidion wrote, with which I fully agree:
In my understanding of the scriptures and early Christian writing, physical baptism IS necessary, but that there are exceptions, where the physical act is not possible, and where the person would have obeyed, had he/she been able to do so. In such exceptional cases, their willingness is counted for baptism.
And:
Some time later, G told me that she found out from her Christian friend that a person doesn’t have to come forward, weeping and crying. “All you have to do,” G explained, “is say a little prayer, and you’ll be a Christian.” That’s the way G understood the “gospel” which was presented to her. One wonders how many people have “said the little prayer” and remained unchanged, but are under the delusion that they are now “saved”, so that they can go on living their lives as usual, but with the expectation that they’ll go to heaven when they die, or when they are raised again to life.In my understanding of the scriptures and early Christian writing, physical baptism IS necessary, but that there are exceptions, where the physical act is not possible, and where the person would have obeyed, had he/she been able to do so. In such exceptional cases, their willingness is counted for baptism.
There are several conversion narratives in the Book of Acts and in the conversions described not once is any convert told to pray a prayer of conversion. The uniform practice was prompt baptism. Peter indicates baptism functions as a prayer:

1 Peter 3:21 (NASB)

21. Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Homer wrote:
There are several conversion narratives in the Book of Acts and in the conversions described not once is any convert told to pray a prayer of conversion. The uniform practice was prompt baptism. Peter indicates baptism functions as a prayer:

1 Peter 3:21 (NASB)
21. Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
Well said, Homer. I would add though (and I'm sure you agree), that the outward act of baptism does not in itself make someone a disciple. The person must repent (have a change of heart and mind) and submit to the authority of Messiah Jesus in his life—become a disciple of Messiah, and begin the process of dying to the self-life (which, in fact, is depicted in the act of being immersed in water).
Paidion

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:18 pm

It seems that at the very least, we could and should all agree that the gospel should not be presented (except perhaps in some rare thief-on-the-cross situation) without making it clear that Jesus expected and commanded men to obey Him and be baptized (Matt 28:16-20). And Jesus told His disciples to take extreme measures to avoid sin (even accounting for hyperbole, Mark 9:38-49).
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”