The True Gospel

Man, Sin, & Salvation
wwalkeriv

Re: The True Gospel

Post by wwalkeriv » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 am

dizerner wrote:Is 80% obedience acceptable to God? What percentage makes the grade?
Paidion wrote:Jesus taught, "Unless you forsake all and follow me, you CANNOT be my disciple." He didn't say that you would be a poor disciple or an ineffectual disciple, but that you couldn't be a disciple at all! (Luke 14:33).
Paidion,
Would you please comment further on this particular question? I think there are a lot of people out there that struggle with a particular sin or who just routinely fall off the wagon though they may be trying to walk as a disciple each day. I know I start with good intentions each day, I pray for strength and guidance. Yet, sure enough, at some point during the day I fall into some sin whether it be gossiping with a co-worker or getting angry or forgetting to put others before myself. I love God, I want to follow, I want to produce fruit, but sometimes I sin.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Jesus taught, "Unless you forsake all and follow me, you CANNOT be my disciple." He didn't say that you would be a poor disciple or an ineffectual disciple, but that you couldn't be a disciple at all! (Luke 14:33).
With this quote from Jesus, I was trying to indicate that it's not a matter of "percentage of obedience" that Jesus taught, but a basic forsaking of one's own agenda and a willingness to go all the way with Messiah.

Whenever the way of Messiah is taught, some misunderstand it to mean that sinlessness is demanded. Unfortunately, this mentality results in the feeling that since sinlessness seems impossible, one may as well choose for himself the life he wishes to live. I remember one man, known to be a Christian, said, "I sin every day!" It almost sounded like boasting.

So I see Messiah's words as indicative that we cannot be His disciple, if we choose our life for ourselves, but must leave behind the self-chosen life and live our lives according to His instructions and leading. This does not indicate that we are already perfect, but we press on to make it our own, for Messiah Jesus has made us His own (Phil 3:12-14)

Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:04 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willowtree

Post by willowtree » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks Dizerner

Right on!

Graeme
If you find yourself between a rock and a hard place, always head for the rock. Ps 62..

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Dizerner,

Paidion I understand, but you left my head spinning. You seem to be saying God will not accept anything less than sinless perfection and then you go on to say we can't possibly do it?

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:10 pm

[user account removed]

steve

Post by steve » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:37 pm

The title of this thread is "The True Gospel." Most of the discussion has centered on what the true Gospel requires of us. The biblical answer begins with repentance, faith, baptism and continued, loyal obedience to Christ. But identifying what the Gospel requires of us is not the same thing as saying what the true Gospel actually is. This list of duties correctly identifies the proper response to the Gospel—not the Gospel itself.

The Gospel is a particular message of good tidings, heralded through Christ and the apostles (but only rarely by modern evangelists). It is called "the Gospel of the Kingdom" (e.g., Matt.4:23; 9:35; 24:14), because it is the proclamation of the presence of another Kingdom and another King—one Jesus (Luke 2:10-11; Isa.52:7; Acts 17:7; 20:25). This entire proclamation can be summarized by the original Christian confession: "Jesus is Lord [i.e., King]." This is what one must confess, in order to be saved (Rom.10:9). It is because He is the King that we must repent (of our former neglect of His lordship), trust Him, and be baptized into His alternative, royal society. Obedience is the obvious response to Lordship:

"Why do you call me 'Lord,' 'Lord,' and you do not do what I say?" (Luke 6:46)

One is not saved by the perfection of his/her obedience, but by the determination to obey completely. This is what happens when one hears, believes, and does not rebel against the proclamation of Christ's Kingship. Baptism is the public submission to the Crown, and a pledge to loyally follow Him until death. Many reduce the Gospel to a decree of justification only. However, justification, in the context of the Kingdom of Christ, is simply the amnesty granted by the King to penitent rebels, as they return in submission to the Authority they formerly spurned.

One is not saved by 80% obedience—nor by 100% obedience (which actually is possible over short periods, by the way). One is saved by having genuinely embraced the King and the life that logically follows from having such a King. None obeys completely, but we are commanded to do so, and true disciples have every intention of doing so. Failure to obey completely is a breach of the King's law, but it is not, in itself, damning. To inadvertently violate the speed limit is not to renounce your citizenship. Likewise, a child is not disowned by his parents because he forgets to do a particular assigned chore. There is grace in this Kingdom for those whose disobedience springs from weakness, ignorance or temporary insanity (James 3:2), and not from rebellion (Matt.26;41).

The Gospel is not a message of performance-oriented acceptance with God. We are saved by the grace of the Crown, and we obey because we love the King. If we do not love the King, whatever begrudged obedience we may render is a sham. It is not salvation.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:41 pm

[user account removed]

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Dizerner,

I think Steve hit the nail square on the head. I am puzzled why you consider baptism a "work". In 1 Peter 3:21 baptism is variously described as a "pledge" or an "appeal" to God. How can that possibly be considered a work that puts God in debt to the one baptized as though something has been earned? It is no more a work than the pledge made in a wedding vow.

As Paidion says, it is like a contract to purchase something. Agreeing to the contract pays nothing toward the purchase.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:12 pm

I fully agree with what you said above, Homer.
I have absolutely no argument with what Steve Gregg wrote on this thread. I think on this issue, He and I are on the same wave length.
dizerner wrote:If you take this tack, logically, you're going to have to come up with a percentage. There has to be a point, if you allow some sinfulness, where you meet the standard of holiness. You could say 99.9% but you still have to say there is a line, where this certain amount of obedience is enough, and this amount is not enough.
No, coming up with a percentage is NOT logical. I don't "allow" some sinfulness. You do not seem to understand my position at all. It's not a matter of "how much righteousness is necessary" to get right with God. That is the Fundamentalist and Evangelical misunderstanding of the position I espouse. It's a matter of our loyalty to the One who is our master. Forsaking the self-life and living for Christ is NOT a work or self-effort.
Christ said "be ye perfect." He didn't think to qualify that, with a laugh and a wink and a "but we know no one is quite perfect, don't be silly."
If you're addressing me with this remark, you are applying it to the wrong person. Also, it might be wise to look into the word "perfection". It DOESN'T mean sinlessness. Jesus was sinless throughout His time on earth. (Heb 4:15). But He was not always perfect. He had to be made perfect (Heb 5:9) and He had to LEARN obedience (Heb 5:8). The meaning of "perfection" is "completion" not "flawlessness". A house may be in a state of being built. It may be flawless, but incomplete.
The reason he said things like, "if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out," is to get us to take sin seriously. Why should we water that down to a metaphor? He never said "but that's just a metaphor, don't worry, we all slip now and then."
Again, who's doing this? You seem to be attacking a straw man with such a comment.
We are rotten through and through, and how can we think that we can love the Lord of our God with all our heart, or our neighbor as our self?
Oh yes. "Rotten through and through" so there's nothing we can do. No use coöperating with the enabling grace of God and becoming overcomers. Impossible. All we can do is cast ourselves on His mercy so that we can be saved from the flames of hell, and go on living our filthy, rotten lives! Is that your position?
Only be raising the standard can self-righteous legalists who think they are doing pretty good, ever end up falling as dirty sinners helplessly at the mercy of Christ.
So raise the standard to sinlessness, so that we will realize how rotten we are and that we can do nothing pleasing to God. "There is none righteous, no not one" and there's no use trying to be righteous, even by God's enabling grace. Just continue in our rotteness, and trust that Christ will save us from hell and take us to heaven in our filthy, rotten state. If we don't become righteous in this life, what makes you think we'll be righteous in the next? Will some angel wave a magic wand over us and transform us immediately into righteous people?
"since sinlessness seems impossible"
I was saying that this is the attitude of those who think we're just dirty, rotten sinners, and so we may as well give up and live our dirty, rotten lives, hoping to be saved by the "unmerited favour" of God because we have accepted Christ (although why they don't count THAT as a work, I guess I'll never know). But I understand the thinking. It was precisely my position in my late teens and as a young man, until I began to understand the true gospel as a deliverance FROM sin, rather than a deliverence from hell IN sin.

The apostle Peter said that Christ shed His blood on the tree in order that we might DIE TO SIN and LIVE TO RIGHTEOUSNESS. (1 Pet 2:24). He didn't say that Christ died in order to escape hell while still continuing to live in UNRIGHTEOUSNESS.
But how can you insist sinlessness is impossible? Why would you limit what the grace of God is able to do?
ONCE AGAIN, I HAVE DONE NEITHER OF THESE.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”