Male lamb

Man, Sin, & Salvation
jaydam

Male lamb

Post by jaydam » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:04 pm

It is popular to see Christ typified in the Passover lamb, a male lamb, without blemish, etc. I have no problem with this.

However, in my study of the meaning of Christ's work on the cross, I run into problems in the book of Leviticus. As the first chapters cover the various sacrifices, the male lamb is permissible for the burnt offering (atonement sacrifice), but the male lamb is specifically excluded from the permissible animals for the sin offering.

Any thoughts on the significance of this?
Last edited by jaydam on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEditor

Re: Male lamb

Post by TheEditor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Jaydam,

Good question. I can't remember any verse that prohibits people from presenting a male, but I do know the verses that say a female should be offered for sins by the common Israelite. It seems the offerings were tiered based upon levels of resposibilty in Israel; The Priest had to offer a bull for his offering; Chieftans offered male goats and the average Israelite offered a ewe or female sheep. If I recall, didn't they have to offer a twice daily sacrifice for the entire nation and wasn't that a male lamb?

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

jaydam

Re: Male lamb

Post by jaydam » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:22 pm

For burnt offerings from the herd or flock (goat or sheep), it must be a male without defect.

For fellowship offering it is to be male or female from the herd or flock (goat or sheep).

For sin offerings:
Priest - male (bull) from herd
Community - male (bull) from herd
Leader - male goat
Community member - female goat or female sheep
Misc. guilt - female goat or female sheep

For guilt offerings, a ram (male sheep).

I apologize, I realized that I misspoke in my original post. I meant to say that the male sheep is excluded solely from the sin offerings.

This intrigues me. I don't know if it has to do with the lack of intentionality mentioned in Lev 4:2, or what.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”