1 Timothy 4:10

Man, Sin, & Salvation
dizerner

Re: 1 Timothy 4:10

Post by dizerner » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Paidion wrote:I suggest that the only reason you don't is that it looks too much like universal salvation to you.
It's completely normal that if one statement by a person sounds somewhat contradictory to other statements by that same person you look for a misunderstanding on your part not necessarily theirs. There's nothing insidious or wrongly motivated about that—if more people did it, we would have less misunderstandings.

I found an interesting ancient example of malista in Light from the Ancient East on page 181, just as a comparison.
https://archive.org/details/lightfromancient00deis

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi dizerner,

Are you sure its on p. 181; I didn't find it.

Thanks, Homer

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:11 pm

We (or some of you) have discussed this before, here and here, and at least one other thread that I can't easily find (I remember posting).

There are at least 20 Bible translations that use "especially" (or the like) in 1 Tim 4:10. I see only 1 that uses "that is", and that 1 uses "especially" in every other instance of the word.

That said, as Steve pointed out, these few words in 1 Tim 4 do not necessarily or even particularly support UR.

We can agree, as Paul wrote, that God is "the savior of all people" and He "desires all people to be saved", such that salvation and eternal life have been graciously made available to whoever believes. But Paul also wrote about 10 times of those who will perish or are perishing, whose end/penalty/wages is destruction and death rather than immortality and eternal life.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:58 am

I especially liked this discussion here of 1Timothy 4:10 at:
http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=160
http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=170
http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=190

I especially liked the discussion about spaghetti on pg.19. That is not saying I liked all our discussions here, but some were especially enjoyable, but certainly not all of them.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for chiming in. Some comments on your post:
It seems strange that the debate over the meaning of malista, in 1 Timothy 4:10, would be taking place here. The insistence on the word meaning "specifically" is a distinctly Calvinist concern.
I was unaware, although I should have been, of the interest Calvinists would have in the interpretation.
Therefore, if malista means "that is," or "specifically" (which I doubt),
I tried earlier in the thread to draw attention to the difficulty posed by malista regarding elders in 1 Timothy 5:17:

The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially (malista)those who work hard at preaching and teaching.

You might not be aware of the controversy over this verse but some churches have long used it to establish an "elder" position above deacons and beneath elders who teach. That idea does not seem supportable to me from the scriptures, given that a requirement for elders is "apt to teach". The translation seems to say there are two classes of elders, both worthy of the same support and esteem, one group "especially" (to a greater degree?), but what would that look like in practice? If, as some argue, malista is translated "namely" or "that is" the difficulty is removed. What is your thinking on the elder issue?
I don't think that any of the parties involved in this thread are Calvinists. It is generally the Calvinists that argue for the non-traditional rendering of malista, while Arminians argue for the traditional reading.
Our mutual disagreement with Calvinism should not be a reason to not consider whatever evidence there is for a "non-traditional" translation of malista. It is with irony that we see universalists claiming tradition and "all the lexicons" for support when they do the opposite regarding aionios. They are just like us! :lol:
Some Calvinists have an alternative means of interpreting this verse. "Savior of all men" is taken to mean, "in terms of temporal blessings and deliverances" (meaning, that He helps everybody in the sense of His general grace—e.g., Matt.5:45), but that Christ, specifically, saves those who believe "eternally".
Some Arminians have the same view. A commentary on 1 Timothy written by someone of the Church of Christ advocates that view and they are about as anti-Calvinist as they can be (think Robert Shank). Come to think of it the author would probably reject the Arminian label also.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Just to help you in deciding this question, here are ALL occurences of μαλιστα (malista) in the New Testament (translation in red) in the New King James Version. Notice the translators of the NKJV render EVERY occurence of the word as "especially" except in Acts 20:38, and "especially" makes sense even in that verse:
Acts 20:38 sorrowing most of all for the words which he spoke, that they would see his face no more. And they accompanied him to the ship.
Acts 25:26 "I have nothing certain to write to my lord concerning him. Therefore I have brought him out before you, and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that after the examination has taken place I may have something to write.
Acts 26:2,3 2 "I think myself happy, King Agrippa, because today I shall answer for myself before you concerning all the things of which I am accused by the Jews, especially because you are expert in all customs and questions which have to do with the Jews. Therefore I beg you to hear me patiently.
Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Philippians 4:22 All the saints greet you, but especially those who are of Caesar’s household.
1 Timothy 4:10 For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.
1 Timothy 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine.
2 Timothy 4:13 Bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas when you come—and the books, especially the parchments.
Titus 1:10 For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,
Philemon 1:16 no longer as a slave but more than a slave—a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.
2 Peter 2:9,10 ... then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment, and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries.
Now try substituting "that is" for the reddened word in each verse, and see whether it makes sense in every verse. I think especially of
Philippians 4:22 All the saints greet you, but that is those who are of Caesar’s household.
Altered in this way, the verse seems to say that all the saints are of Caesar's household.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi Paidon,

Thanks, but I was aware of all those; I tried that experiment. I still think it doesn't work very well in the passage regarding the elders. What is needed is proof that malista can not be a homonym. There are said to be many in ancient Greek.

Examples:

-“amaxa” (alpha -mu-alpha-csi-alpha) meaning “Great Bear” and “car” as in “the car of the sun”

-“amaurosis”( alpha-mu-alpha-upsilon-rho-omega-sigma-iota-sigma) meaning “eyesight failing” and “denigration”.

-“arktos”(alpha-rho-kappa-tau-omicron-sigma) meaning “bear”, “Great Bear”, “crab”.

-"kalux”( kappa-alpha-lambda-upsilon-csi) meaning “chalice”, “earrings”, “pod”.

-“narthex” (nu-alpha-rho-theta-eta-csi) meaning “stick”, “thyrsus”, “box”, “slipcase”.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:51 am

Homer wrote:Hi Paidon,

Thanks, but I was aware of all those; I tried that experiment. I still think it doesn't work very well in the passage regarding the elders. What is needed is proof that malista can not be a homonym. There are said to be many in ancient Greek.

Examples:

-“amaxa” (alpha -mu-alpha-csi-alpha) meaning “Great Bear” and “car” as in “the car of the sun”

-“amaurosis”( alpha-mu-alpha-upsilon-rho-omega-sigma-iota-sigma) meaning “eyesight failing” and “denigration”.

-“arktos”(alpha-rho-kappa-tau-omicron-sigma) meaning “bear”, “Great Bear”, “crab”.

-"kalux”( kappa-alpha-lambda-upsilon-csi) meaning “chalice”, “earrings”, “pod”.

-“narthex” (nu-alpha-rho-theta-eta-csi) meaning “stick”, “thyrsus”, “box”, “slipcase”.
Hi Homer,

The expression "τοῦτ᾿ ἔστιν" unambiguously represents in Greek a meaning equivalent to the English expression ‘that is’ or ‘namely’ (see Matt. 27:46; Mark 7:2; Acts 1:19; 19:4; Rom. 7:18; 9:8; 10:6, 7, 8; Philem. 12; Heb. 2:14; 7:5; 9:11; 10:20; 11:16; 13:15; 1 Pet 3:20). 'Malista', by contrast, would be confusing if it were used with this supposed meaning, because it very often has the meaning ‘especially’ in the very same types of context. Therefore, given the common and availability of "τοῦτ᾿ ἔστιν", why would a greek speaker avoid it and use another expression that most commonly has another meaning?

Furthermore, there is no conflict with "malista (above all, specially, etc..)" with 1 Timothy 5:17. Note the following:

There are three terms used in the New Testament to describe church leaders, they are: "bishop, elder, and pastor." The most widely used New Testament designation for local church leaders is "elders."

Elders—"leaders in the church", is used 72 times in the New Testament.
Bishops—"guardian or overseer", is used 5 times in the New Testament and plural in nature.
Pastor—"shepherd," which means to protect, feed, care for, and lead. It is only found once in the New Testament. (Eph. 4:11)

Ephesians 4:11 NASB, And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,...

Therefore, Pastors are not distinct from bishops or elders. The terms are simply different ways of identifying the same people. Textual evidence indicates that all three terms refer to the same office. We read:

1 Peter 5:1-5 (NASB) Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.

Hence, Peter instructs the elders to be good shepherds as they oversee the flock:

Additionally:

Titus 1:5-7 NASB, For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain,...

Titus, who was an apostolic representative, was to appoint "elders," then he begins to give their qualifications; and then in verse 7 says, "the overseeer," which is the Greek word episkopos. The elder is to be a good overseer. So, according to the New Testament, the leadership or pastoral oversight of the local church is to be shared by all men in the church who qualify and desire the work.

Church leadership is a team effort. Every place in the New Testament where the term presbuteros is used, it is plural except where John and Peter use it to speak of themselves. The norm in the New Testament church was a plurality of elders. There is no reference in all the New Testament to a one-pastor congregation. Today's tradition of a single pastor leading a church is not the biblical norm, but can be considered a violation of the scriptural pattern.

Nevertheless, ALL ELDERS TEACH and SHOULD TEACH. Time and Talent, along with the fact that The Holy Spirit of God is free and sovereign in his bestowal of gifts (1Cor. 12:11) for the edification of the church, do allow for both distinctions in the context of 1Tim 5:17. Therefore, there is no confusion on the matter, for it is clear; some elders discharged their duties exceptionally well, and were thus to be considered worthy of “double honor”. Of this larger set of elders, it is especially important that a smaller subset, those who work particularly hard at preaching and teaching, be recompensed accordingly.

In other words, if 10 men on the USA team beat the world record in the 100 meter sprint, clearly they worked hard to achieve this. However, 2 of these athletes took on the work as additional trainers, to the team, and were directly responsible for the success of these exceptional athletes, to include themselves. Therefore, they are set apart as first to be recognized amongst the best of the best, when the situation deems necessary.

God Bless.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi Robby,

Agree with most of what you said, especially regarding the pastor not being an office. Some have gone as far as to say the pastor is over the elders. However you never addressed the problem with 1 Timothy 5:17. That is (malista): :lol:
Nevertheless, ALL ELDERS TEACH and SHOULD TEACH. Time and Talent, along with the fact that The Holy Spirit of God is free and sovereign in his bestowal of gifts (1Cor. 12:11) for the edification of the church, do allow for both distinctions in the context of 1Tim 5:17. Therefore, there is no confusion on the matter, for it is clear; some elders discharged their duties exceptionally well, and were thus to be considered worthy of “double honor”. Of this larger set of elders, it is especially important that a smaller subset, those who work particularly hard at preaching and teaching, be recompensed accordingly.
As commonly translated 1 Tm. 5:17 implies that there are elders who are not teachers and some churches have established an administrative elder above deacons and beneath teaching/preaching elders. And additionally, as translated all of the subject elders are all receiving "double honor" including those who labor at teaching.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Thank you, Robby. Good post! I see it the same way, and tried to say this, but I was probably too brief, as I usually am. Your expression of it was in greater detail, and that often makes it more effective. I also agree that elders, overseers, and pastors are three names for the same position. Each of the words has a different meaning, and may represent the function which is emphasized in the ministry of a particular leader.

I am amazed that we agree in so many areas while sharply disagreeing in eschatology. Not that that matters.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”