God's grace and your obedience

Man, Sin, & Salvation
JacobMartinMertens

Re: God's grace and your obedience

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:51 pm

jaydam wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:
dizerner wrote: So then perfect obedience isn't necessary. How much is necessary do you think?
Are you asking if God wants you to obey Him or are you asking if your obedience leads to salvation? No one is saved by works.
Consider this:

The military has its own law (UCMJ). I can follow the UCMJ, but it does not make me part of the military. However, once I enlist in the military I am subjected to live out the UCMJ, or have my enlisted cut off.

Living by the code does not enlist me, but it determines my continued status of being enlisted.

Now, consider salvation to be enlistment into the kingdom. The lifestyle of the kingdom is the UCMJ, and IS related to staying in once saved/enlisted.

This has been the best analogy I can find related to how I view Christianity, taken from my army days.

I see Christianity sold as having no works, then later when the pastor tries to get the new convert to live "right" the new convert is confused because they were sold a salvation that required nothing from them, but now they are being told their life expects something from them.
The Christian life is different. It is possible to think you are saved when you are not. It is possible to think you need to change something to stay saved, when (if you are saved) you do not. Ephesians 2:8-9 NASB.

Galatians 3:3 NASB - 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

1 John 4:8 NASB - 8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

See Romans 8:9 NASB. And, 1 John 5:13 NASB.

Romans 5:8 NASB - 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 3:23 NASB, Romans 6:23 NASB, Romans 8:1-2 NASB.

Romans 1:16-17 NASB.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 am

So, if someone brings me to salvation from a drunken, drug abusing, sexually immoral life, offering me the grace of free salvation as a sinner, for which I have to do nothing, and I accept the free gift.

I don't have to give up my way of life?

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:18 am

jaydam wrote:So, if someone brings me to salvation from a drunken, drug abusing, sexually immoral life, offering me the grace of free salvation as a sinner, for which I have to do nothing, and I accept the free gift.

I don't have to give up my way of life?
Salvation is by grace through faith.

Ephesians 2:8-9 NASB - 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Here are some verses that may help.

Mark 1:15 NASB - 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

Acts 5:31 NASB - 31 "He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18 NASB - 18 When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, "Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life."

Romans 5:8 NASB - 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

2 Timothy 2:25 NASB - 25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:20 am

I get that salvation is by grace through faith...

So what happens post salvation?

Doesn't matter if my life changes?

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 am

jaydam wrote:I get that salvation is by grace through faith...

Your life should and will change if you truly understand the gospel.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:25 am

So, how does the change take place?

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 am

jaydam wrote:

So, how does the change take place?
I don't want to leave anything out. But I can share these with you now. If you read the Bible you will benefit greatly. I believe there can and will be more if we continue to discuss this.

Titus 2:11-14 NASB - 11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, 14 who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

Titus 3:5-8 NASB - 5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men.

Have you read the book of Romans? It is an epistle (a letter) from the apostle Paul to the Romans.

Romans 1:7, 15 NASB - 7 to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. ... 15 So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

Here are some verses about sanctification. https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/ ... rimary_0_1 You can also search for words like sanctify and sanctified. Here is another verse I just remembered.

2 Timothy 2:22 NIV - 22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:40 am

Good scriptures Jacob. There is an error out there called "hyper-grace" that is the opposite side of legalistic works, that teaches preaching holiness is a sin. That is a grave error.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:42 am

JacobMartinMertens wrote:If you read the Bible you will benefit greatly.
You mean I should put "work" into reading my Bible? I thought there was no work...
...deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope
...Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Deny, live, look, flee, pursue... Seems I have some things I should work at? In other words, some work to do?

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:59 am

jaydam wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:If you read the Bible you will benefit greatly.
You mean I should put "work" into reading my Bible? I thought there was no work...
...deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope
...Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Deny, live, look, flee, pursue... Seems I have some things I should work at? In other words, some work to do?
None of those things will earn you heaven or save your soul though, only the Blood of Christ will. Nor can you achieve them living under the Law, which is a set of demands and a standard of performance, for the Law manifests the sin nature.

Most people err on the side of licentiousness, which is I will admit far easier on the flesh at first. Some of us (like me) have actually tried seriously hard and "pulled off" quite a bit of righteous looking behavior, that we can then mistakenly put our trust in (like Paul I think you might even be impressed by my external credentials). It's always the fine line between utter lawlessness and religious works that we have to find the pure and true grace of God. free from fleshly lust and fleshly religion, neither of which bows to the Cross-work. It's tough to sort through this, but I see grace and law as fuel to try to get us to the same place (holiness). I just don't want people to use "law fuel."

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”