What is the origin of the word "church"?

The Church
Paidion

What is the origin of the word "church"?

Post by Paidion » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:51 am

The NKJV translates the word "εκκλησια" (ekklAsia) as "church" 73 times.
But there are 3 times where it, and every other major version translate the word as "assembly" as it ought to be translated.
None of them consider translating the word as "church" in Act 19: 32, 39, 41.

Let's see what the verses would look like if they had done so!

32 Now some cried out one thing, some another, for the church was in confusion, and most of them did not know why they had come together.
33 Some of the crowd prompted Alexander, whom the Jews had put forward. And Alexander, motioning with his hand, wanted to make a defense to the crowd.
34 But when they recognized that he was a Jew, for about two hours they all cried out with one voice, "Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!"
35 And when the town clerk had quieted the crowd, he said, "Men of Ephesus, who is there who does not know that the city of the Ephesians is temple keeper of the great Artemis, and of the sacred stone that fell from the sky?
36 Seeing then that these things cannot be denied, you ought to be quiet and do nothing rash.
37 For you have brought these men here who are neither sacrilegious nor blasphemers of our goddess.
38 If therefore Demetrius and the craftsmen with him have a complaint against anyone, the courts are open, and there are proconsuls. Let them bring charges against one another.
39 But if you seek anything further, it shall be settled in the regular church.
40 For we really are in danger of being charged with rioting today, since there is no cause that we can give to justify this commotion."
41 And when he had said these things, he dismissed the church.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Re: What is the origin of the word "church"?

Post by Homer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Paidion,

You are absolutely correct. It is so far from correct that the word "church" has come to mean a building.

Paidion

Re: What is the origin of the word "church"?

Post by Paidion » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Right Homer. But I was thinking of the fact that many or most people use "church" for any assembly of Christians. Why not simply use the word "assembly". Indeed, several modern groups of Christians do just that. The so-called "Plymouth Brethren" call their local gatherings "assemblies" not "churches". And so do some Pentecostal groups. As you know, there is even a Pentecostal denomination that calls itself "Assemblies of God".
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Ecclesiology”