Not Forsaking Our Own Assembling Together

The Church
dwight92070

Not Forsaking Our Own Assembling Together

Post by dwight92070 » Mon May 31, 2021 9:17 pm

I am curious where you guys fellowship. My wife and I go weekly to a home church in Denver, where we have attended since Christmas of 2001. It is non-denominational, led by one pastor, with his wife playing guitar and leading worship. Hebrews 10:25 tells us to "not forsake our own assembling together, as is the habit of some."
Our pastor and his wife love Jesus and he is a gifted teacher of the Bible. Once in a while, not often, I teach or another brother will teach.

Paidion

Re: Not Forsaking Our Own Assembling Together

Post by Paidion » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:05 pm

I am 83 years old, and because of severe health conditions never leave the house except occasionally for medical reasons. My wife does all the shopping.

As a younger person, I gathered with those known as "Plymouth Brethren". There was not a one-man ministry in those gatherings.
There were overseers, but every individual could minister to the others in the congregation as the spirit of God led him.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:19 pm

I have been in fellowship and active leadership in a moderate sized UMC congregation for the past 15 years or so. I serve in a variety of capacities, including teaching/leading what we call a "life group" for married families in a wide range of life stages. My background is largely southern baptist, however, and was previously in "leadership" at a marge mega-church (Southern Baptist Convention) for 15+ years in our area where I met and married my wife.

Since we've spent so much time on the subject lately, I might also mention that the Trinitarian subject is one I avoid teaching on at all and try to "slip out of" (gracefully but honestly) when the subject arises (which made leading table discussions for confirmation classes a bit tricky). This is something I really only explore here in what "used to be" a fairly safe place to sharpen steel and test "dangerous" and even "scandalous" thoughts and ideas. So, that's why your condemnation and shotgun blasts to derail discussion of specific issues can be so hurtful. In contrast, I have enjoyed the sober-minded and thoughtful posts of StevenD lately as exactly the sort of thing I seek. (Ok, maybe somewhere in the middle - the scholarship of his responses are above my pay grade and I'm still muddling through his last post). Honestly, I wish nothing more than to have every one of the Unitarian positions answered clearly and persuasively.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm

I think you should start a New Topic: Let's All Attack Dwight for His Method of Debating

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm
I think you should start a New Topic: Let's All Attack Dwight for His Method of Debating
That's funny, but I'm not attacking - I'm imploring

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:38 am

We go to a little church in the rural community where we live. It's an Evangelical Friends (Quaker) church, but probably 2/3 of us are from backgrounds across the evangelical Christian spectrum. In most respects it's just a typical conservative evangelical church, with one huge difference: We don't ostracize folks based on adherence (or lack thereof) to a long list of doctrines that goes way beyond what the Bible says are essential. That's unique in my experience with churches; it's been very refreshing and a real blessing, and it's led to my being there far longer than I've ever survived in a church before. Another aspect is, it's nice, and seems like the way it should be, to go to church with people with whom you're likely to interact during the week, rather than driving across town to a church where it's unlikely you'll see any of them outside of church, or ever get to know them.
dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm
If you want this thread to continue, you might want to delete this comment. It just about torpedoed my interest in taking part in it, and I imagine it might have the same effect on others.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:55 am

Dwight wrote:I think you should start a New Topic: Let's All Attack Dwight for His Method of Debating
You must have a persecution complex, Dwight! In this thread, not one person has written a word against you in any way!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:17 pm

Paidion wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:55 am
Dwight wrote:I think you should start a New Topic: Let's All Attack Dwight for His Method of Debating
You must have a persecution complex, Dwight! In this thread, not one person has written a word against you in any way!
Dwight - Obviously you didn't read Darin's post, Tues. June 1, 2021 7:19 p.m.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:21 pm

backwoodsman wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:38 am
We go to a little church in the rural community where we live. It's an Evangelical Friends (Quaker) church, but probably 2/3 of us are from backgrounds across the evangelical Christian spectrum. In most respects it's just a typical conservative evangelical church, with one huge difference: We don't ostracize folks based on adherence (or lack thereof) to a long list of doctrines that goes way beyond what the Bible says are essential. That's unique in my experience with churches; it's been very refreshing and a real blessing, and it's led to my being there far longer than I've ever survived in a church before. Another aspect is, it's nice, and seems like the way it should be, to go to church with people with whom you're likely to interact during the week, rather than driving across town to a church where it's unlikely you'll see any of them outside of church, or ever get to know them.

Dwight - I would love to have your continued input, but if I can't defend myself against uncalled for condemnation, without people dropping out, then so be it. I would think you would do the same.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:21 pm
Dwight - I would love to have your continued input, but if I can't defend myself against uncalled for condemnation, without people dropping out, then so be it. I would think you would do the same.
I don't know if you've noticed, but most here don't interact on the basis of attacking and defending. But that's always seemed to be your preferred way of relating to others, especially those with whom you disagree, as long as I remember you being here. If that's what you want, you might find any of a number of other forums more to your liking. Of course you're welcome to stay, but if you do, I hope you pay more attention to, and learn from, Darin's efforts to guide you toward a more profitable (and more Christlike) way of interacting.

Return to “Ecclesiology”