Ezekiel 25:8 rebukes replacement theology

End Times
_ryanfrombryan

Ezekiel 25:8 rebukes replacement theology

Post by _ryanfrombryan » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:03 am

Okay, so I am full of questions. (this will be my last one for now)

In my bible reading I came across Ezekiel 25:8 which states:

"Thus says the Lord God, 'Because Moab and Seir say, "Behold, the house of Judah is like all the nations,"

and then it goes on to describe the judgments that fall on them as a result of what they said regarding Judah, that it is like all the nations.

Now, isn't that what replacement theology does? Does it not say that Israel (which would include Judah) is like all the nations? That it is no different than any other nation and in the eyes of God there is absolutely no difference between physical Israel and the rest of the world?

I'm kind of baiting a little bit hoping for a response. I see potential problems with that argument given the context of what's being talked about, but it's still intruiging. The last thing any of us would want to do is fall into the same snare that Moab and Seir did. Blessings in Jesus.

Ryan
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:19 am

Moab and Seir (Edom) were not in trouble simply for making this statement, since, in many respects, Moses (Lev.18:28), the prophets (Isaiah 56:6-8), John the Baptist (Matt.3:9), Jesus (Matt.8:10-12) and Paul (Rom.3:9/ 10:12/Phil.3:3) all made essentially the same observation, namely, that Israel, when disobedient, was as subject to God's judgment as is any other nation, and that Gentiles who believe are as truly God's people (true Israel) as are believing Jews. In this respect, Israel is indeed no different from the other nations. This is what so-called "replacement theology" affirms, and nothing more.

To understand the offense of Moab and Seir, we need to consider what their statement means when they make it.

First, they are gloating. They knew that Israel and Judah always claimed to be specially favored by Yahweh, but with the destruction of Jerusalem and the deportation of the Jews by Nebuchadnezzar, it appeared as if they were as helpless and unprotected against invasion as were the other nations the Babylonians conquered. Thus the statement is something of a mockery and a jeer.

Second, scholars believe that these two nations (Moab and Seir) took advantage of Judah's vulnerability at the time of the Babylonian invasion, and took part in the looting, rape and general mayhem against the Jews. They did this because the land of Judah "like all the nations" had been taken down and was helpless to defend itself against such pillaging.

Therefore, Moab and Edom did not incur judgment simply for their acknowledging even what the rest of scripture often acknowledges, but because of their reaction to Judah's calamity and their actions by which they furthered the suffering.

Those whose theology is labeled "replacement" theology take no pleasure in Israel's fall, do not gloat, and do not exploit the situation. They simply affirm the rather plain statements of Jesus, the prophets and apostles.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:51 am

Steve,

Thanks for the response. I knew that there had to be a little bit more to it than what I had said, and I completely see where you're coming from. Thanks for your help on this as I continue to seek Jesus and work through these issues.

Ryan (Under Rae's unsername)
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

Return to “Eschatology”