Steve's Preterism Debate

End Times
RICHinCHRIST

Steve's Preterism Debate

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a very long time but I still peruse the forum every once in a while. I hope you all are well in Jesus.

I'm curious if Steve's debate with Don Preston was ever recorded and if I could somehow find it. Some of the questions have been swirling around in my mind lately and I'd like to hear it if it's available. Thanks!

TheEditor

Re: Steve's Preterism Debate

Post by TheEditor » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi Rich,

Good to see you. I don't have an answer for you, but thought I'd say hi as I asked about you recently on the forum.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

john6809

Post by john6809 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi Rich,

Steve wrote in a different thread, "The debate videos between Don Preston and me belong to him. Before the debate, I thought the videos would be available to both, and I said I would post them. I am not accustomed to the idea of selling recorded information, which I would wish for all people to have for free. However, I later was informed that, since Don actually made the videos at his own expense, they are his property, and he has them for sale from his ministry. Last I checked, I think you can get them for about $30. If I were to post them, I would be stealing his property. Sorry!"

I think you can order them here:

http://www.bibleprophecy.com

God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Comments on the product:

As something entertaining/interesting to listen to, I might be willing to pay $5-10 for just the digital audio files, but $25 is a bit steep for me.

Also, I think it would be good if they said how the many hours of audio and/or video is included.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi RICH! Good to see you are doing well.

I agree with the sentiments above and it really makes me appreciate Steve's willingness to freely give that which was freely given.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:53 am

While it is nice to be able to get Steve's stuff for free, Don isn't in the same professional world. He is frozen out of regular Evangelical circles, so he has to charge what he does in order to pay the bills. If he had the kind of access that Steve has he'd charge significantly less. It is what it is.

Doug

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:38 am

Hi Doug,

Actually the difference in financial policy is not one of circumstance, but of philosophy. It may seem, to outsiders, that my bills get paid because I have a radio show. However, I have had a policy of never selling products or services in the ministry for decades before I had a radio program. Even after 17 years on the air, my personal income is still generally only able to pay my actual expenses month-by-month (which was also true before I had a radio program). My departure from dispensationalism, in 1978, marginalized me in the only denomination where I had been popular, just as Don's theology has marginalized him in the larger body of Christ. I understand well enough what it is like to risk taking an unpopular stand while remaining in full-time ministry.

For many years, before there was the internet and before I was on the radio, I was just an obscure "street Christian," with little public visibility (certainly less than Don Preston has), living hand-to-mouth, and teaching in tiny venues without pay, because of my ministry philosophy—"Freely you have received; freely give." I don't say all people need to adopt the same philosophy as mine, but I can testify that my needs were constantly met during those years even with that policy.

Interestingly, in 2001, when my wife left me, I stepped entirely out of ministry, except to my children, who were still minors living at home, for a whole year. I was totally invisible to the public. Yet, amazingly (and contrary to my expectations), the Lord continued to supply our needs thorough completely unpredictable means—even as He does now—primarily through unforeseen gifts from people I have never met!

My policy is not to sell my books, lectures, nor any other ministry materials or services. It is true that my two books are sold by Thomas Nelson, but I would prefer that they gave them away. I actually, according to my ability, buy them in bulk from Thomas Nelson so that I can have them on hand to give them away to those who can't afford them. I struggled with the decision to allow a commercial publisher to control the publication and distribution of my books, since this would result in them being sold, and I had not previously allowed my tapes, tracts, etc. to be sold. I made this particular exception, in order that the books could actually get into people's hands and be read. I figured that it is better for those who can afford them to read them than for them not to be in print at all—and no one could read them. In any case, no significant amount of my support has ever come to me from my books. What I receive in royalties would not even keep gas in my tank.

A person in ministry must decide whether he believes God will support His own interests without ministries having to be marketed for sale. I think Keith Green came up with a good policy when he stepped out of the commercial music sales industry and offered all his recordings and printed materials on a "whatever-you-can-afford" basis. This allowed people who could afford to cover costs to participate at whatever level they could, while materials were still made available for free to those who could not afford to pay.

Such a policy might seem risky with products that are expensive to produce, though I am not sure why digital recordings would not be made available on such a basis, since, once they have been made, their distribution is essentially cost-free. I could never justify charging for my online materials, since they cost nothing to me and are distributed without expense. Though the "intellectual property" could be said to be mine, I prefer to think as it as God's. If I did not think that my gifts and insights were from the Lord, I would find a different career.

However, I will not judge another man's servant. Each minister must decide how confident he can be that his ministry is God's work, and can be guaranteed God's supply (Matthew 6:33).

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:10 am

dwilkins (aka, Doug) wrote:While it is nice to be able to get Steve's stuff for free, Don isn't in the same professional world. He is frozen out of regular Evangelical circles, so he has to charge what he does in order to pay the bills. If he had the kind of access that Steve has he'd charge significantly less. It is what it is.
I understand, and I'm not criticizing. My point is just about the economics. Information about eschatology and preterism abounds on the internet. So I'm not sure why many people would pay to listen to/watch yet another debate (of unknown length). I'm only guessing that many more people, like me, would be likely to purchase a copy at a lower price.

I suppose that the price will be lowered after the real eager beavers have purchased a copy. Unfortunately, someone might buy it and illegally (or wrongfully) make it available for free (which I do criticize), which would cut down on buyers.

Of course he knows the whole financial situation far better than I do, but if it's worth anything to know what an average guy thinks then ... now you know.

(... and I would definitely put the debate length on there. I wouldn't pay $25 (+S&H?) without knowing what I'm getting.)
Last edited by Singalphile on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:01 am

Steve,

I do not think you appreciate the magnitude of isolation that Don experiences. He's chosen that world, so at least by now he understands the ground rules. But, it's apples and oranges to what you're doing.

Doug

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:23 am

With all due respect Doug, it's only "apples and oranges" if you believe in charging for information like this. I am no stranger to "selling" the Gospel. After all, I banged on doors for years. Besides, a cynic could argue that this is a burgeoning cottage industry since Full Preterists are in the minority camp and they are all looking for ammunition to put their arsenal. A cynic could argue that this is very much by design. But I'm not a cynic, so I'll just conclude that he's trying to make a buck, like everyone else. I still never reconciled earning money on the ministry though, considering Paul made tents and all....or is this another thing that got fulfilled in 70 AD? :lol:

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Return to “Eschatology”