The Penalty For Getting It Wrong

End Times
dizerner

Re: The Penalty For Getting It Wrong

Post by dizerner » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:05 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:11 am

3. Here's what we read at the END of THE PROPHECY; Rev 22:18 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:" Rev 22:20 "He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
a. The same "THINGS"
b. The same PROPHECY
c. The same promise of coming soon to its 1st Century audience

And you say, steve7150, "The rest of your interpretation is not based on the actual scripture but on your 70AD presupposition."???????????????????????????

Funny, funny, too funny!!!!!!

God Bless.
robbyyoung

A couple of things Robby. Glad you find this funny,funny, to funny because you have an interesting sense of humor. So you don't see that your presupposition influences how you interpret this? John Macarthur who has studied greek for only about 50 years interprets the very same words you are so positive mean 70AD in a different way,

"These warnings AGAINST ALTERING the biblical text represent the close of the NT canon."

As far as the Lord "coming soon" it very well may be a metaphor for the destruction of Jerusalem but that doesn't make the entire book of Revelation about a topic Jesus already clearly revealed in the gospels.

robbyyoung

The Penalty For Getting It Wrong

Post by robbyyoung » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:24 am

steve7150 wrote: A couple of things Robby. Glad you find this funny,funny, to funny because you have an interesting sense of humor. So you don't see that your presupposition influences how you interpret this?
No, what I find funny is that you disparage my presupposition, which conflates with the original audience's presupposition upon hearing the prophecy. You're slight against me is a charge against them. For I believe what they believed, as we all should.
steve7150 wrote:John Macarthur who has studied greek for only about 50 years interprets the very same words you are so positive mean 70AD in a different way,

"These warnings AGAINST ALTERING the biblical text represent the close of the NT canon."
The warning was towards a prophecy. Come on steve7150??? Where's your, quick to refute what's clear attitude here???? By the way, I can concur with Brother Macarther because it doesn't change anything I said. It just adds another relevant case.
steve7150 wrote:As far as the Lord "coming soon" it very well may be a metaphor for the destruction of Jerusalem but that doesn't make the entire book of Revelation about a topic Jesus already clearly revealed in the gospels.
What part of "the things" between the bookends timing remarks are confusing to you???

God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robby Young
U.S. Army Retired

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Robby,

If someone were to "add" to the book, say in 200 or 300 AD to make it sound as though the Millenium would come on or around the year 2014, would they be exempt from God's warnings contained therein?

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:16 pm

TheEditor wrote:Robby,

If someone were to "add" to the book, say in 200 or 300 AD to make it sound as though the Millenium would come on or around the year 2014, would they be exempt from God's warnings contained therein?

Regards, Brenden.
Hi Bro,

Yes.

Robby Young
U.S. Army Retired

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:50 am

steve7150 wrote:
John Macarthur who has studied greek for only about 50 years interprets the very same words you are so positive mean 70AD in a different way,

The warning was towards a prophecy. Come on steve7150??? Where's your, quick to refute what's clear attitude here???? By the way, I can concur with Brother Macarther because it doesn't change anything I said. It just adds another relevant case.

The warning speaks for itself which is against adding or taking away words. Anything else is from your imagination Robby, but i do concede that you have a vivid imagination. You get the last word here Robby since i said all i can, so if you find my response funny,funny, to funny, blessings to you my friend.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:15 pm

I think we need to cut our brothers a break on Revelation. :-) I feel I understand Revelation better than the average person (I wrote a commentary on part of it) and yet even if I am right, if I don't have love I am nothing. I preach this to myself....
[If I] "know all mysteries and all knowledge [on the book of Revelation]; ....but do not have love, I am nothing." 1 Cor. 13:2

The penalty is not for getting it wrong, the penalty is for consciously trying to change what the text says.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:47 am

Duncan wrote:The penalty is not for getting it wrong, the penalty is for consciously trying to change what the text says.
Hi Duncan,

I know I'm not the best writer in expressing my thoughts around here, but my OP and contention, as a FP, is geared to the 1st Century and it's false prophets and teachers during the end of the age. I thought I was clear, from my perspective, post 70 AD, the prophecy doesn't apply to us, therefore, making mistakes trying figure it out doesn't apply. However, I also stated, if Futurists claim the prophecy IS NOT concluded and are found guilty of the charge, "God Knows, and that's what really matters", they will be cursed with the plagues contained therein. Since I don't believe they can be cursed with the plagues, because the prophecy is fulfilled, the warning doesn't apply. I thought I made this pretty clear, but I guess not.

Duncan, I am simply trying to piece together "The Warning" as it conflates with the false prophets and teachers of the time. The Prophecy said near, soon, and quick to the events about to take place. No doubt the false prophets were saying otherwise, in regards to the timing and amongst other things. Now if The Futurists today are changing what the timing means, and we know almost 2000 years ago judgement came upon those seven churches and Jerusalem, proving the timing stands firm, where is the Futurist justification to misrepresent the timing of The Prophecy?

I've pointed out that "The Things" spoken of in the beginning of the prophecy, to its end, are the "Same Things" that encapsulates the Same Timing, which was to happened, EMPHATICALLY, soon, near, and quick. If one of "Those Things" happened, then "All The Things" happened. This is my contention, and The Real Prophets of the time were able to accurately give the meaning of these events and HOW they were to take place. Post 70AD, we will always struggle with THE HOW question because we do not have inspired prophets to interpret the events as they did, for it was specific to them and that makes all the difference and sense to me.

God Bless.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 am

I think that it is a decent argument that the warning of 20:18-19 was said in the construct of hearing and understanding, and that the curses would apply to the hearer in the sense that the hearer was adding, or subtracting from the words in his own heart (even without vocalizing it). I would say this is the same as disbelieving the prophecy. I also don't think it is in the construction of the verses, or in Johns head, that the letters would be physically copied, but rather repeated verbally, as was usually the case.

That said, I think it was in God's head that Revelation would be physically copied over and over. And in defense of multiple warnings and fulfillments of biblical prophecy: I say Revelations was written so as to warn the current generation then, and to the current generations to follow that this can happen again. And the argument I have made is: that if it was all fulfilled, we would not be here, talking, or wondering about it.

I was wondering then, do you (or most full-Preterists) believe the last Judgment (or, The Great and Glorious day of The Lord) and also the LOF have occurred already?

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 am

jriccitelli wrote:I was wondering then, do you (or most full-Preterists) believe the last Judgment (or, The Great and Glorious day of The Lord) and also the LOF have occurred already?
Jr, "All these things", include your quote above. Remember, the timing was emphatically clear to be soon. Post 70AD, we cannot be dogmatic about how all these things took place, for I don't think it's possible to know. Obviously, taking a wooden literalism approach to the events is wrong, when conditioned by The Prophecy's timing, and we know a physical manifestation of this prophecy occurred in 70AD, making its fulfillment credible and trust worthy on par with God's faithfulness.

"All these things", Jr, encapsulates the timing.

God bless.

Robby Young
U.S. Army Retired

Return to “Eschatology”