Partial Preterists: 2 Thess 2:1-12?

End Times
remade

Partial Preterists: 2 Thess 2:1-12?

Post by remade » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 am

I'm studying 1 and 2 Thessalonians in my private study time and just wonder what your thoughts are on 2 Thess 2:1-12 with Paul specifically seeming to reference 1 Thess 4:17ff in 2 Thess 2:1?

I would think that 1 Thess 4:15-17 is about the end of the world. What does that make 2 Thess 2 about though? Seventy AD and Vespasian? The RCC and the Papacy? Double fulfillment? It just seems odd (not impossible) that Paul would talk about something 2000+ years as okay to happen (2 Thess 1:1, parousia) whenever something else happens thousands of years prior (the remainder of 2 Thess 1:1-12).

What are your thoughts?
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

TruthInLove

Re: Partial Preterists: 2 Thess 2:1-12?

Post by TruthInLove » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi remade,

I'm a Partial Preterist, albeit, not your average one. I've evaluated the prevalent ideas that this Man of Lawlessness was the Papacy or some 1st century Roman ruler like Vespasian but I personally think the existing evidence supports a much different identity. I believe this Man of Lawlessness shares similarities with the Sea Beast of Revelation 13 and the 8th King-Beast of Revelation 17 and that all these entities are in fact the same. Given the established symbolism embodied in the number 8, the 8th-king Beast of Revelation 17 cannot be a first century Roman figure. In fact, it's not a Roman entity at all nor a single human being.

The 8th king is a symbol of a recurring manifestation of Satan's influence in the world via earthly rulers well beyond 1st century Rome. He is symbolic of rulers that would take the place of Rome as oppressors of men. The number 8 is provably a scriptural symbol of resurrection and recurrence. As a preliminary hook to generate some interest, notice that the rise of this 8th king and his destruction occurs in conjunction with the Queen of Seven (i.e. 'Sheba' which is Hebrew for 'seven') of Matthew 12:42; Luke 11:31 in the final judgement. This 8th king is also destroyed by this Queen and Christ, the perfect earthly king, in Revelation 19:11-21. I believe this Queen is the perfected disciples of Christ - the Church.

This is a theory I have invested a great deal of time proving and have written about extensively on my blog. If this is something you are interested in exploring, I'm happy to explain further. But I can't emphasize enough that the major keys in unlocking this identity is in:
- the symbolic numbers 7 and 8
- the cyclic pattern laid out in Scripture of how God judges earthly nations with the armed forces of other earthly nations
- the prophetic promises that one day, such wars between nations would be brought to an end

Best regards,
Carmine

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi remade, you wrote:I would think that 1 Thess 4:15-17 is about the end of the world. What does that make 2 Thess 2 about though?
Well, I'm a futurist, and I think both references are to the end of the age (which I consider to be yet future).
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TruthInLove

Post by TruthInLove » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:31 pm

I agree with you on this point Paidion. I think both passages are about an entity whose destruction is yet in our future.

remade

Post by remade » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm

TruthInLove / Carmine -

I am very interested! Please point me to your relevant blog posts or unpack a bit more! Thanks
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

TruthInLove

Post by TruthInLove » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:50 am

Hi remade,

Glad to hear of your interest. The site index for all the articles on my blog can be found at dariusthemedewasgod.com. Every article there is invested heavily in explaining the symbolic significance of the number 8. Specifically, my blog article The Great Tribulation of Full Preterism: Condemned by the Queen of ‘Seven’ and an ‘Eighth’ King ties a lot of this research together to interpret the meaning of the enigmatic 8th King of Revelation 17. I believe "he" is also the "Man" of Lawlessness 2 Thessalonians 2 is speaking of.

I still have much more to write on this subject but I've already written a great deal. You'll find a treasure trove of links to references and concordance entries that back up everything being claimed. Hope you like it! Please let me know if you have any unanswered questions by the time you are finished. I'm happy to hear and discuss your feedback, positive or negative.

Blessings in Christ,
Carmine

Return to “Eschatology”