Is Satan's 1st Sin even Possible?

Angels & Demons
jaydam

Re: Is Satan's 1st Sin even Possible?

Post by jaydam » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:11 pm

mattrose wrote: I theorize that the satan was created as a tester. And he performed that role well. But the more humanity failed the test, the more pride in his role began to form. He started to want them to fail. And desired to control them. God allows him to remain (as a corrupted tester) because testing is still filling a role. What was originally meant as a test to be passed (from God's perspective) ended up being a temptation to fail (from Satan's perspective). But as the satan tempts, God is still testing, and so the role is still worthwhile.

What do you think of this theory?
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I am studying the origin and Christian "mythology" of Satan, and found this thread.

Here are a couple thoughts...

I don't believe God creates a bunch of tests to see if we might fail, but God gives us options and opportunities because he delights in a freewill being who chooses him, and faith in him. Without an option to choose a different relationship with somebody other than God, then is our relationship with God really that special? Without the ability to choose differently than God's will for us, is following God's will really that special?

What if the tree was presented, not as a test to see if man would fail, but an option, so that man could do God's will based out of choice, not simply a lack of any other choice.

What if man was made to serve, and he has to serve someone, so Satan, whatever his origins is not a test to pass or fail, but simply God choosing to give man an option in whom he will serve?

God presents man with choice options and will options because God wants to be followed willingly, not just because he has eliminated all other choices.

I think this is shown in man. My desire, and my belief about the average human being, is that humans in positions of leadership desire to be followed based on merit, not feeling like they are just being leaders because their subordinates have no other choice. Sure, there are times when the latter happens, but the fulfillment is not the same.

Thoughts?

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 pm

My thought would be that I don't think what you mean by the word 'option' and what I mean by the word 'test' are very different.

Our view of Satan may be VERY different though? Do you believe in Satan?

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:45 pm

steve wrote:
Could God have created an evil being- who had no choice but to be evil?
When we ask what God could or could not have created, we are, I think, raising the question of what God might wish to have created, rather than His ability to create whatever He might wish.

If God wished to have such a being as Satan, He certainly could (and would be entitled to) create one.

On the other hand, if God did not wish for such a being to exist, then why does the devil exist? Is God incapable of dispensing with Him? And why has He not done so long ago?
I really like this, Steve. (this site needs a LIKE button!) Christians are often asked, or at least I am, by certain non believers I must deal with, why can't God do this or that or why doesn't God do this or that and while I can say God CAN or COULD I can't explain why He hasn't. At least not beyond Isaiah 55:8 For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Matt,

I just finished an interesting book called "Deconstructing Lucifer". It was similar to what I think you are proposing here. His point is basically that Lucifer was a proper name given to Satan by church tradition But if you untangle the two identities the story makes more sense. Once you do so, Satan was the chief tempter among the watchers and is a real being (as opposed to those who say he is just a made up character from the Babylonian captivity). But, he's not Lucifer, which was simply the Latin term for Venus. Venus, the brightest star to us, was the goal of apotheosis (or the thought that important ancients would become stars when they die), so that the actual king of Tyre was aspiring to become Venus or like Venus in Ezekiel. It's a pretty fascinating approach that I think makes more sense than the traditional view.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PT ... UTF8&psc=1

Doug

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”