Were Idols an Issue in Jesus' Day?

TK

Were Idols an Issue in Jesus' Day?

Post by TK » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:41 am

Someone asked the other night in a Bible study whether idolatry was a problem for the Jews during Jesus' ministry. I had never really thought about this before; obviously reading the prophets and the history books it is clear that it was huge problem earlier, but I don't recall reading anything in the gospels that the jews were still worshiping, Baal, etc.

Does anybody have any insight regarding this?

TK

steve

Re: Were Idols an Issue in Jesus' Day?

Post by steve » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:53 am

I have often read that the Jews did not overtly worship images again after the Babylonian exile. Perhaps there were individuals who secretly did so (as there were probably individuals who secretly practiced witchcraft), but it was not generally tolerated in Israel in those times.

mikew

Re: Were Idols an Issue in Jesus' Day?

Post by mikew » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:36 pm

It seems that idol worship was not the strong issue. There are various points where the Jews are shown to have a foreign religious view.

Mar 8:27 Jesus went out, with his disciples, into the villages of Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked his disciples, “Who do men say that I am?” 8:28 They told him, “John the Baptizer, and others say Elijah, but others: one of the prophets.” 8:29 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered, “You are the Christ. (WEB)

This suggests ghosts or reincarnation or some other sort of reappearance.

Another passage has the Pharisees talking about Beelzebul.
Matt 12:23 All the multitudes were amazed, and said, “Can this be the son of David?” 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “This man does not cast out demons, except by Beelzebul, the prince of the demons.

So the Pharisees had taken on this religious perspective enough to use it in an accusation against Jesus.

Paul also explained their hearts in saying that they were trying to establish their own righteousness. Rom 10:3

I think these were little insights into the culture of the time that confirm prophecies about their hearts being far away from God and their following other gods. Yet this was not a big focus of the record of the gospels. So such detail was not really what Jesus emphasized -- the real test was whether they accepted Jesus and his disciples, sent as prophets among the people.

Matt 23:34 Therefore behold, I send to you prophets, wise men, and scribes. Some of them you will kill and crucify; and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city; 23:35 that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom you killed between the sanctuary and the altar.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Return to “General Bible Discussion”