LimitedNegatives?

mattrose

LimitedNegatives?

Post by mattrose » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Steve (or anyone),

I've heard you mention, and provide examples of, what I think you called 'limited negatives' in Scripture.

For example, the other day I was listening a tape in which you were describing the various interpretations of "don't store up treasures for yourself on earth, but store up treasures in heaven". And you said you think it might be a limited negative "don't ONLY store up treasures for yourself on earth"

My question is, have you compiled a list of of these limited negatives? I think they make really good conversation starters!

Paidion

Re: LimitedNegatives?

Post by Paidion » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Here's one that immediately came to mind:

Let not yours be the outward adorning with braiding of hair, decoration of gold, and wearing of fine clothing, but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. I Peter 3:3,4
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:02 pm

And surely this must be one?

Matthew 10:34 (KJV) Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

p.s.
I wish I had known about the scripture Paidion quoted being an example of this when I was a teenager, arguing with mum & dad about clothes, make-up & jewellery! And, plucking of eyebrows! :roll:
Suzana

TK

Post by TK » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:15 pm

how about: Do not get drunk on wine...instead be filled with the Spirit?

TK

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:33 pm

TK wrote:how about: Do not get drunk on wine...instead be filled with the Spirit?

TK
I don't think so...wouldn't that mean "don't just get drunk on wine, but be filled with the Spirit also"? There are those other scriptures about drunkards not being a good thing.
Suzana

steve

Post by steve » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi Matt,

Great idea to accumulate a list of these! For those unfamiliar with this, a limited negative would be an expression that is constructed like this: "not A, but B", which, in fact, means this: "not ONLY A, but ALSO B."

I once had made a list of some of these that I had found in the New Testament, but I cannot seem to locate it now. You and Suzana have brought up a couple of them, and Paidion has given another example that may fit the category. There would also be John 6:27—

"Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him."

which would mean: "Do not ONLY labor for the food which perishes, but ALSO for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him."

and (possibly) John 1:13

"who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

which would mean (to the chagrin of Calvinists): "who were born, not ONLY of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but ALSO of God."

I would be much obliged to our participants here if they would post other examples. I run into them occasionally while reading the New Testament, and notice them. However, it is hard to remember them when I want to list them.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:01 pm

I do not claim that all of these are limited negatives. However, I see them as possibilities:

Matthew 15:11 "...not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man."

John 7:24 "Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment."

John 19:21 The chief priests of the Jews then said to Pilate, "Do not write, ‘The King of the Jews,’ but, ‘This man said, I am King of the Jews.’"

Romans 4:5 And to one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

2 Corinthians 4:18 because we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen...

2 Corinthians 8:8 I say this not as a command, but to prove by the earnestness of others that your love also is genuine.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Hebrews 9:28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

1 John 3:18 Little children, let us not love in word or speech but in deed and in truth.

I John 4:10 In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the means of mercy concerning our sins.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TK

Post by TK » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Suzana wrote:
TK wrote:how about: Do not get drunk on wine...instead be filled with the Spirit?

TK
I don't think so...wouldn't that mean "don't just get drunk on wine, but be filled with the Spirit also"? There are those other scriptures about drunkards not being a good thing.
when i post goofy stuff i sometimes worry that someone might take me seriously. i hope you didnt, suzana, but i cant quite tell!

TK

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:21 pm

TK wrote: when i post goofy stuff i sometimes worry that someone might take me seriously. i hope you didnt, suzana, but i cant quite tell!

TK
Alas! Mea Culpa. I wasn’t thinking! I can’t have had any coffee yet? (It was morning here). Or maybe you were just too deadpan, in which case serve you right to have aspersions cast upon your discrimination.
Suzana

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:34 pm

(No-one has to read this, it's just a filler, definitely off-topic) :!:
- I tried to delete a post (&re-post it on to the next page, but it won't let me, I think bcs. there is another post after mine.
so I just blanked my words, & got this message:

"Your message contains too few characters." (as in, none! - it's just being polite).
(my patient-data software at work phrases it "please be more specific" if I inadvertently hit enter before typing anything into the search field). :|
Last edited by Suzana on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzana

Return to “General Bible Discussion”