Honest Atheism?

steve

Re: Honest Atheism?

Post by steve » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 am

Jim (Seer),

I just got the chance to check out this thread, and I am very upset at your tone and attitude toward a brother. You know that I have always enjoyed dialogue with you, but you have always been able to maintain a reasonable and charitable demeanor, even when disagreeing. That is not what you are doing at this thread.

We try to maintain a degree of civility in our dialogues here, which you may not find in some other forums. I have visited Calvinist forums only two or three times, and the ones I have visited have had such a foreign spirit about them that I could not even endure more than half a dozen posts. The arrogance and self-righteousness of the participants was so overwhelming that I felt spiritually dirty after having spent a few moments reading their comments. This is not intended as a broad-brush statement of all Calvinists, just what I have found at certain forums.

Your turn to Calvinism has been relatively recent, and now you judge everyone by whether they agree with those novel ideas or not. Have you been hanging out at the Calvinist forums, and picked up something of their attitude? If so, please leave it at those forums and don't bring it here. We have never banned anyone from this forum on the basis of their radical disagreement with my views or anyone else's, but we have banned a few (including at least one whose views were like my own) because of this foul spirit. This forum is, first and foremost, a fellowship of Christians. Those who are found poisoning the communion wine will not be welcome for long.

As for Paidion's "denial of the scriptures," I will say that there have been times where he almost seemed to me to be doing just that—or at least he was denying my concept of the authority of the scriptures. But where does the Bible itself say that acceptance of the recognized canon, or a particular view of inspiration, is to be a test of Christian fellowship (which view of the canon and of inspiration does the Bible itself teach)? When the canonical councils were hashing out their differences of opinion as to which books belonged in the Bible, did any group pushing a certain list excommunicate another group that advocated a different list? When the majority of the bishops still were having trouble accepting Jude and Second Peter, were these people "denying the scriptures"?

You object to Paidion's statement: "Some make the Bible their authority. I make Christ my authority." I do think that he creates a broader dichotomy than is justified, but it is clear that he gets his understanding of who Christ is from his reading of the Bible, so he is not outright rejecting the Bible in favor of Christ. What he seems to be saying is that normative Christianity is a relationship with Christ Himself, and not necessarily a relationship with a book. Many of the patriarchs had no written scriptures at all, and the early church had no New Testament canon. They managed to get by spiritually, often better than we do, in many ways.

Many years ago, a Christian friend, of a somewhat mystical bent, challenged me with the following dilemma: "Would you rather have the Bible and no Holy Spirit, or the Holy Spirit and no Bible?" This made me very uncomfortable, because I knew it was not merely an academic question, but a set of two very real possibilities. There have been Spirit-filled Christians who had no Bibles, and there have been Bible scholars who have not had the Holy Spirit (i.e., Spirit of Christ). While I cherish the Bible, and make more use of it in my daily life than many people do, I realized that a Christian without a Bible is still a child of God, and thus "led by the Spirit," while a man with a Bible, but without the Spirit, is no Christian at all.

So what could you possibly find objectionable in a man saying, "Some follow the Bible; I follow Christ"? Perhaps, if a man said that, but his personal behavior and morality were so contrary to the laws of God, then you would know that he really is not a follower of Christ, despite his claims to the contrary. But this objection cannot be raised against Paidion. The worst you can say against him is that he has a very different understanding about the Bible in many areas from your own. Is this forbidden somewhere? When you were not yet a Calvinist, debating with Atheists and Universalists on the internet, were you "denying the scripture" because you were not a Calvinist? Wake up, Jim! Becoming a Calvinist has not made you more Christ-like. Check your fruit, because others (including God) certainly will do so.

Darin wrote:
I do respect some things about some of the groups you might call a cult, I suspect. That doesn't mean I respect their doctrines or practices.

To which, you replied:
Well that about says it all.

I can hardly imagine that you wouldn't find some sympathy with Darin's statement, since, apart from their doctrines, there often are very commendable things in the lives of some cult members (e.g., commitment to their families, commitment to the financial support of their "brethren," zeal for evangelism). Why should we be coy about acknowledging this? Where is our simple ability to acknowledge things that are true? Has our "orthodoxy" rendered us too duplicitous to state plain facts? Are we afraid that someone in the ultra-orthodox camp may hear us and hold us as guilty-by-association? Did Jesus ever fear that people would think such things about Him?

You wrote:
"And I don't have much patience with those who deny scripture, and neither should you."

Now you give us the choice to believe you or to believe Paul! Paul wrote (2 Timothy 2:24-26):
And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to [do] his will.
As for your claim that the Bible tells us that all Atheists at one time knew God, I cannot find the passage where this is affirmed. Could you point it out? Thanks.

seer

Post by seer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:52 am

A couple of points Steve,

First, it is not "calvinism" that causes me to say these things. If it was I would question Arminians - which I don't. Second, as far as can tell by his quotes he does reject the Old Testament as being inspired, as presenting a true picture of God. How can a man be informed by the Holy Spirit and still reject the larger portion of God's word? I'm sorry, this is not merely a question of interpretation, we often disagree about interpretation Steve but I do not question your faith, this is outright rejection. Thrid, I have no idea what his personal behavior and morality are like. I know atheists that have a better moral sense than some struggling christians - but the christian has correct beliefs. And the fact is Paidion is undermining the verasity of scripture - we should not get that from a brother - we get it enough of it from the world. Fourth, I have said the same kind of things while I was an Arminian - to cultists. So you can't blame this on my weak calvinism.

Finally, my opening post was quite clear - God's revelation through nature is universal and clear, the Heavens declare the Glory of God, they don't merely suggest it. Unless you too believe that there are honest atheists?

PS- from the same book you quoted:
He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. For there are many rebellious people, mere talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision group. They must be silenced, because they are ruining whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain.
Last edited by seer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

seer

Post by seer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:15 am

darinhouston wrote:Jim, I don't know much else to say -- forgive the sarcasm, but I have a question for you...

Do you believe that God's will is for only some "elect" to follow Jesus ? If so, do you hold in contempt and deny the Scripture that clearly teaches that God desires for ALL to be saved? God has led me in the understanding of this verse -- who are you to deny this clear revelation from God!??
Darin, I never even suggested that men can't have different interpretations. I think the passages in Romans Nine are quite clear and direct, you don't. But to reject scripture is another thing.
Another question -- you criticized Paidion for his qualification of his view of Scripture. Do you think it is possible for someone to worship the Scripture, per se? What would that look like?
I have no idea what that means. Scripture either is the revealed word of God or it's not.
What if I questioned the Canon with respect to a particular book (say, I have scholarship to suggest Hebrews was a fabrication) -- assuming so, could I not have a problem with the actual words considered by most to be scripture and yet remain faithful to believe the words of Christ and the Apostles and OT prophets? What if I question a particular transmission integrity of a particular passage -- would I not be the one who holds Scripture in higher regard from one who dogmatically asserts a view of the passage in question
As far as I can tell Paidion rejects the inspiration of the Old Testament. Yet Paul says it was God-breathed - who should I believe?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:36 am

As far as I can tell Paidion rejects the inspiration of the Old Testament. Yet Paul says it was God-breathed - who should I believe?
Hi seer, just to make sure no one is talking past anyone, maybe it would help if you specified what you understand inspiration to mean. Several people reading this may have different definitions.

PS...I would definitely go with Paul !! But, the question is, what did Paul mean?

seer

Post by seer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:06 am

SteveF wrote:
Hi seer, just to make sure no one is talking past anyone, maybe it would help if you specified what you understand inspiration to mean. Several people reading this may have different definitions.

PS...I would definitely go with Paul !! But, the question is, what did Paul mean?
On a basic level I believe the men of the Old Testament had contact with God and accurately described those encounters and His character and moral nature, likes and dislikes, etc, as He revealed it. So when for instance when God told Moses that He destroyed the known world by the flood (whether local or universal)I believe that that was a true event. I think a lot of Paidion's problem is focused on God judging or destroying sinners. But he is free to clear this up.

BTW Steve, do you believe there are honest atheists?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:24 am

seer wrote:He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. For there are many rebellious people, mere talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision group. They must be silenced, because they are ruining whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain.
Jim, you cited this presumably against Paidion. I must ask you -- since you confessed that you did not know Paidion, do you believe that a complete and utter denial of the authenticity of the OT (assuming that were Paidion's view, which it does not appear to be) would justify your making this accusation against him ? I think this must be exercised with a high degree of discernment, coming together with others (even those considered elders according to church discipline) and making darn sure you aren't hanging out on a limb when you "silence" believers. The "discipline" of using church discipline isn't limited to a physical gathering under a steeple in my opinion.

Also, as to this particular scripture, I don't read it in the dogmatic literal way you do (should be no surprise to you, I guess). I believe this was addressing a particular issue with particular people and particular doctrines, and while the principle is sound it should not be applied in a vacuum. This is a forum where topics of scholarship are being discussed. There are going to be a wide variety of differing views as we explore scripture together -- I dare say (without knowing for sure) that Paidion says things in this forum he wouldn't tell a young believer around the dinner table for obvious reasons. I don't see any whole households being ruined by exploring some of the things we do here and being honest about our (sometimes fleeting) thoughts in an area. I think we strike a balance so as not to deceive or cast doubt among new believers, while at the same time freely using our brains (sometimes in error) to pursue God's Truth.

All we ask is a degree of humility and forebearance. The tone reminds me of the old ladies in the Southern Baptist church I grew up in -- they would clasp their bibles (never read) in their bosom and declare as "blasphemy" many of the very things I suspect I've heard you discuss (though nothing comes to mind).

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:29 am

seer wrote:First, it is not "calvinism" that causes me to say these things. If it was I would question Arminians - which I don't. Second, as far as can tell by his quotes he does reject the Old Testament as being inspired, as presenting a true picture of God. How can a man be informed by the Holy Spirit and still reject the larger portion of God's word?
I don't know the answer to your question, Jim -- but, I consider that a great many people with whom I disagree vigorously and whose beliefs about God and the bible are abhorrent to me may love the Lord more than I do and may well be with me in the afterlife and I suspect God will have corrected their beliefs by then. I don't know any, but I permit that there may be liberal scholars who love the Lord who reject wholesale some of the words of Christ on grounds of scholarship or the like. There are Calvinist and Dispensational teachers who so twist the teachings of Christ and the Apostles that it deprives them of their basic meaning. I don't understand how two people both filled with the Spirit can be led (perhaps temporarily) to such diametrically opposed views of Scripture, but it seems to be the case.

Correction is one thing -- disdainful silencing is another.

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 am

BTW Steve, do you believe there are honest atheists?
Yes and no.

I do agree with you that God is revealed in nature. On the other hand, I, as a Christian, have had honest doubts at times. Is it possible that a professed atheist has drawn his conclusions based on the knowledge he has? I'm certain there are atheists that deny there is a God due to arogance or the desire to live without accountabiltiy. But also consider, there are many atheists who choose to distance themsleves from the arogance of a Christopher Hitchens for example.

In a completely different context, Paul spoke of doing things in ignorance before he followed Christ. I know I've asserted and done things, even as a Christian, out of ingoranance. Is it possible that an atheist may be basing his position on the best available information to him/her?

I know a Japanese lady who became a wonderfull Christian and has now returned to Japan. When she was first in Japan she was an atheist because believing in God didn't make sense to her. She had never heard a reasonable explanation as to why there is a God. Finally she met someone who provided good answers to her questions. Upon giving carefull consideration to what the person explained to her, she put her faith in CHrist. I don't think we can paint everyone with the same brush.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:19 am

seer wrote:First, it is not "calvinism" that causes me to say these things. If it was I would question Arminians - which I don't.
I know you directed this to Steve, and I suspect he may respond. But, I've been thinking about this quite a bit during my travels over the past few days. From my experience with Calvinists (I were one long ago), I have noted this spirit which Steve addressed and have really bristled at it perhaps because I shared in some degree of doctrinal pride during that time -- in retrospect, (and I have explored my heart in this a lot) I think for me at least, I was influenced without realizing it by the dark and foreboding judgmental tone that some of the Reformed writers used -- I was captured by the soaring rhetoric they used to describe the attributes of God, but at the same time I wasn't noticing how the flip side of that coin affected their dead-certain accusatory spirit against those with whom they disagreed. Their rhetoric was just as strong against the heathen who would deny the holy writ of the "doctrines of grace," and it wasn't until I "came out" of that system that I realized how dark it was. Again, this may have been something inherent in my own heart but reading Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God just caricatures the more subtle tone of others.

Again, this was just me -- my Calvinism evolved from ignorance as these just happened to be the commentators and authors I read as I began to grow spiritually and developed my doctrinal views. For others, it may not be the Calvinist community or doctrines that cause such a judgmental spirit, but instead it could be something about themselves (if they should size up their mote) that led them to be piqued by the Augustine fatalism that we call Calvinism.

Either way, the spirit does seem to be consistently demonstrated by those of Calvinist leanings and, in my opinion, that fairly common fruit should be a flashing red light to those considering whether it is sound doctrine.

I may be wrong.

seer

Post by seer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 am

darinhouston wrote:
seer wrote:He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. For there are many rebellious people, mere talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision group. They must be silenced, because they are ruining whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain.
Jim, you cited this presumably against Paidion. I must ask you -- since you confessed that you did not know Paidion, do you believe that a complete and utter denial of the authenticity of the OT (assuming that were Paidion's view, which it does not appear to be) would justify your making this accusation against him ? I think this must be exercised with a high degree of discernment, coming together with others (even those considered elders according to church discipline) and making darn sure you aren't hanging out on a limb when you "silence" believers. The "discipline" of using church discipline isn't limited to a physical gathering under a steeple in my opinion.
Hey Darin, I quoted Paidion. If that was not a denial of the verasity of the Old Testament then what was it? I can only go by what he says. Perhaps he should clear it up. And Darin what would you call a man that denies the inspiration of the Old Testament, or denies the character of the God therein.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”