Local Flood

RND

Re: Local Flood

Post by RND » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:30 pm

TK wrote:RND-

I think it is a mistake to simply disregard what science has to tell us.

I think it is a mistake to disregard what the Bible tells us.
Of course I am no geologist, and to some extent it is an inexact science, but to entirely poo-poo the conclusions that modern geologists make, is, in my view, the height of arrogance.
Or it could be seen as the height of faith.
The more science I read about, the more amazed I am at the complexity of God's creation.
Hey, that goes for me too. But it doesn't change my belief in the absolutes of God's word. He made man from dirt. Wow!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

TK

Post by TK » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 am

matt-

why do uniformists reject the global flood? simply because they disbelieve the Bible? i am assuming your friend is a catastrophist.

I understand what you are saying entirely about preconceived points of view.

But do you believe that there are no uniformists that have honestly examined the possiblilty of a worldwide flood, and simply found the evidence unconvincing?

I know that it may be unwise to trust pagan scientists and their motives. But I certainly think that some would be honorable enough to admit that there is indeed good evidence for a worldwide flood. Obviously catastrophists might believe this, but are we not possibly jumping to conclusions to state that EVERY uniformist has an ulterior motive?

Further, I am certain that there are true Christian geologists who think the evidence of a wordwide flood is lacking, or that a worldwide flood would not have been possible for other reasons. I am also certain that there are true Chrisitian geologists who believe the earth is billions, as opposed to thousands, or years old.

Now, I admit I am playing something of a devil's advocate here. As I said in my initial post on this topic, I would not be surprised at all if some alien flying by the earth in Noah's day would have observed a planet entirely covered with water.

But I also admit that I really struggle with accepting the idea that a lot of accepted science must simply be dismissed because it doesnt SEEM to square with what the Bible says.

For example, Hugh Ross, who is a Christian astrophysicist, states the evidence for a billions of year old universe is overwhelming. If that is indeed true, then it doesnt mean the Bible is false. It simply means we have not interpreted the Bible correctly. Of course I grant the converse may also be true-- but what if it isn't?

Sorry for the rambling post.

TK

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Hey TK :)

My post was not meant to imply that all good Christian scientists are global flood YEC's. I am sure that is not the case. I was just sharing my perspective of how I think it is that philosophy has more to do with 'millions of years' claims than does actual science. I think both explanations for the appearance of the earth (old age & deluge) are good theories. On my way to church I pass by a house that is very run down. One could speculate that it is run down b/c of years of abandonment or because of some catastrophe (an internal fire or something). Both good theories. But if you find out, in doing some historical research, that there was a fire on that property that rendered the house uninhabitable, then, seemingly, one theory emerges as superior.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:13 pm

I am by no means I calvinist, but I do think God is in charge. It seems like a pretty empty promise to me if He simply meant "I personally won't do it, but there will be plenty of pretty much identical events in world history"

Now consider this verse please, "And the ark rested in the 7th month on the 17th day upon the mountains of Ararat. And the waters decreased continually until the 10th month and on the 1st day of the month were the tops of mountains visable." Gen 8.4-5
OK the ark rested on Ararat which is 17,000 feet high and after 2 1/2 months other mountains were visable , which makes sense in a regional flood.
But for a global flood we have mountains at 29,000 feet which would be visable long before the ark rested on Ararat at 17,000 feet.

Visible to whom?

Even if the flood was regional it still would have covered a vast area called Mesopotamia which was about 45,000 square miles the largest lowland of the Middle East and God's promise not to impose a regional flood like that again is significant. It was'nt only that it was a flood, it was the magnitude and complete devastation of a large area. God's next intervention causing destruction was making it rain fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gemorah which was also to punish wickedness yet it was regional. To me it seems like a contrast in that one was destruction by water and one by fire and Jesus mentioned both together in the NT. And if both are mentioned together almost in the same breath by Jesus it makes more sense to me that they would be of a similar magnitude meaning both probably were regional.

Re "visible to whom" since Moses was the author thousands of years later i think he was speaking generically . I think if he meant visible to Noah he probably would have mentioned Noah by name.

RND

Post by RND » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:31 pm

I had been looking for this video for a while in response to some of the suggestions in this thread. Thanks to a friend who found it for me.You'll enjoy it very much.

Young Age of the Earth
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “General Bible Discussion”