Children of Abraham or Israel

RND

Re: Children of Abraham or Israel

Post by RND » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm

mikew wrote:Cincinnati. j/k
Home of the "Bungles?" I heard they put a hole in Cowboy Stadium for a reason......
The real question is whose children are the Gentile believers. Jacob was just another son of Abraham through Isaac. It may not change people's views by the mere reminder of this type of explanation.
Jacob was a son of Abraham and the promises to Abraham were given to his children.

Exd 6:5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.
This sounds like a new building started separately from what God had done with Israel.
Yep.

Jhn 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
In presenting my article I can't expect any specific person to be convinced. But the basic argument is presented toward the idea that believers are children of Abraham but not made into children of Israel. The biggest problem then is shifting the mindset from assuming that Gentiles have become part of Israel.
I think the two go hand in hand like peas and carrots. Or peanut butter and chocolate. I'd say "ham and cheese" but I don't eat pork. If it's "unclean" it ain't food!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:12 pm

RND wrote:
mikew wrote:The better understanding of this passage is that Paul was talking about Jews only, not about Gentiles. I address the context in other writings on my website.
Romans 2 is definitely speaking of the Gentiles.

Rom 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God. 12 For as many as have sinned without (outside) law shall also perish without (outside) law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

God only writes His law on the hearts of those that are either of the House of Israel or the House of Judah.

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: 33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Paul is saying that if someone does the work of the law, even though they aren't of the law it is evidence of the law being written on their hearts.
Well. When you shift to a different section of Romans 2, then you change the topic about which Paul was talking. Its true that in Rom 2:11 that Paul was talking about Gentiles. Yet you make a mistake associating Jer 31:31-33 with Romans 2:11-15 in the sense that Paul was not speaking about saved Gentiles in this statement but rather was making an argument to show that Gentiles too would face judgment. It wasn't Jews alone, under Law, that had been facing that time of wrath, but also Gentiles without the Law (vs 14).

So Paul was talking about Gentiles in general. Maybe if Paul's topic was about believers among Gentiles, then the passage from Jer 31 might apply to Gentiles.

But in Rom 2:17-29 Paul was addressing ideas about Jews. The passage before talking about "circumcision of the heart" (vv 25-29). In verse 25 it speaks of "your circumcision" -- something still applicable only to Jews. There was no transition of topic to now start including Gentiles in vs 25-29. Plus, the overall context doesn't support the idea that Paul would be talking about Gentiles in vv. 17 to 29. The Roman audience would have ripped up his letter if Paul started saying that Gentiles had to become Jews/Israel.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

RND

Post by RND » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:33 pm

mikew wrote:Well. When you shift to a different section of Romans 2, then you change the topic about which Paul was talking.

Nope, just putting things into their proper context and proper order.
Its true that in Rom 2:11 that Paul was talking about Gentiles. Yet you make a mistake associating Jer 31:31-33 with Romans 2:11-15 in the sense that Paul was not speaking about saved Gentiles in this statement but rather was making an argument to show that Gentiles too would face judgment. It wasn't Jews alone, under Law, that had been facing that time of wrath, but also Gentiles without the Law (vs 14).
Paul was simply saying, and I agree with him, is that when the gentiles who were born outside of the law to the acts of the law then it is evidence that the "law" is written in their hearts, which is exactly what Gos said He would do. Think of the parable of "the Good Samaritan."

The "doers" are much more justified than the "hearers."
So Paul was talking about Gentiles in general. Maybe if Paul's topic was about believers among Gentiles, then the passage from Jer 31 might apply to Gentiles.
Paul is equating "belief" with doing the work of the law. Who is more "justified" Mike, the hearer of the law or the doer? Romans 2 is awfully suggestive that true "law keeping" is equated with true "law doing." We should do the things of the law because it is right right thing to do, not for what we think we'll get out of it.
But in Rom 2:17-29 Paul was addressing ideas about Jews. The passage before talking about "circumcision of the heart" (vv 25-29). In verse 25 it speaks of "your circumcision" -- something still applicable only to Jews.

It's figurative Mike.
There was no transition of topic to now start including Gentiles in vs 25-29.
Paul very clearly says that, "A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical." Which goes directly with Paul's suggesting that when the things of the law are simply done it is evidence of the law written on the heart. He was telling those in Rome that the "physical" Jew is convicted by the work of "uncircumcised" gentile.
Plus, the overall context doesn't support the idea that Paul would be talking about Gentiles in vv. 17 to 29.
Oh, Mike, how can you miss this - that's exactly who Paul is talking about. The evidence of God in their life (law in the heart) is made known by the work in their life. I'd rather have a non-Christian that has evidence of God in their life through the good works they perform than a Christian pew-warmer that merely talks a good game.
The Roman audience would have ripped up his letter if Paul started saying that Gentiles had to become Jews/Israel.
On the inside.....

"No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God."

Matthew Henry said,

"No forms, ordinances, or notions can profit, without regenerating grace, which will always lead to seeking an interest in the righteousness of God by faith. For he is no more a Christian now, than he was really a Jew of old, who is only one outwardly: neither is that baptism, which is outward in the flesh: but he is the real Christian, who is inwardly a true believer, with an obedient faith. And the true baptism is that of the heart, by the washing of regeneration and the renewal of the Holy Ghost; bringing a spiritual frame of mind, and a willing following of truth in its holy ways. Let us pray that we may be made real Christians, not outwardly, but inwardly; in the heart and spirit, not in the letter; baptized, not with water only, but with the Holy Ghost; and let our praise be, not of men, but of God."
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:01 pm

We run again into the situation where it is useful to say that I'm not trying to convince any specific person of anything. My goal is to discuss the ideas. So my clarification on the context of Romans 2 doesn't have to be accepted. Anyhow the discussion was not supposed to be about Romans 2, an issue that came up in a response that said all believers are Jews -- again that was off topic, because the question really was whether Gentile believers are to be named as Israel.

The Book of Romans arguably is one of the worst books to try to make a connection of saying all believers are Israel since the Romans were antagonistic toward Jews. And then Paul in chapters 9 to 11, to show the fallacy of the Gentile's boasting against Jews, was showing how God had been faithful to His promise to the Israel people.

I don't so much care about the specific fact, whether the Church is Israel or not. Whichever is true, it just means we have to understand scripture in light of that truth (or defer examination for another time). I'm just saying that based on the purpose and context of Romans, Paul didn't seem to be saying, nor would seem able to be saying, to the Romans that they were Israel.

Then in my short article I highlighted the fact that Paul never said in the letter to the Romans that they were Israel. I think one big reason for Paul not saying that believers were Israel was that God had brought judgment on the general Israel population in the first century -- the Christians were not earmarked for judgment (though that era also tested whether people were Christians or not).
Last edited by mikew on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RND

Post by RND » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Mike, I don't see any difference in what Paul was saying in Romans 9 about gentiles being part of Israel and Jesus saying that, "That many shall come from the east and west (read: gentiles), and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom (read: Natural Israelites) shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Or John the Baptist saying, "And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham."

The claim was always by the Pharisees that people were saved because of the blood coursing through their veins. But God the Father is not a "respecter of persons." He can, and will, make children out of nothing if necessary, and if you think about it He already has! So not everyone who says they are of Israel is truly of Israel because it is those that do the work as evidenced by the law written on their hearts that are true Israel.

Abraham is the Father of ALL that believe:

Rom 4:16 Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Gal 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

The true circumcision is that of the spirit, not the flesh:

Phl 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Take care Mike.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

mikew

Post by mikew » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:47 am

Another comment about my responses...

There are two topics that I feel God has giving me special insights. One is about the purpose and context of Romans and the second is about the kingdom of God.

One thing in-depth study and analysis requires is that someone really be able to understand what I've written if someone wishes to contest my view. A change in my viewpoint would have to come with significant evidence of error.

Now in saying that Romans 9:1-6 doesn't speak about Gentiles, it can be helpful to some people to mention that Douglas Moo, in writing commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, also said that explains why Romans 9:1-6 isn't about Gentiles. And surprisingly enough he came to that conclusion without my help ;)

One thing I hope for is some people who are able to show any flaws in my analyses. I'm writing out my findings cause it doesn't seem like the insights are for my own private interest.

RND

Post by RND » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:01 pm

mikew wrote:Another comment about my responses...

There are two topics that I feel God has giving me special insights. One is about the purpose and context of Romans and the second is about the kingdom of God.

One thing in-depth study and analysis requires is that someone really be able to understand what I've written if someone wishes to contest my view. A change in my viewpoint would have to come with significant evidence of error.
I would concur. Any attempt to enlighten another should come from the clear word of God, prayer and much intercession from the Holy Spirit.

A promise by God to a people that were not originally called by Him?

Hsa 2:23 And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to [them which were] not my people, Thou [art] my people; and they shall say, [Thou art] my God.
Now in saying that Romans 9:1-6 doesn't speak about Gentiles, it can be helpful to some people to mention that Douglas Moo, in writing commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, also said that explains why Romans 9:1-6 isn't about Gentiles. And surprisingly enough he came to that conclusion without my help ;)
Who's Doug Moo? For every Doug Moo in the world I can provide a Doug Batchelor, or a David Asscherick, or a Matthew Henry, or as John W. Ritenbaugh says:

"Gentiles must become a part of Israel, because that is where the New Covenant is being made! And so conversion, having access to God, having Christ, entering into the Covenant, having promises and hope, and being part of Israel, all go together in one package. God does NOT disrupt the patterns that He Himself established."
One thing I hope for is some people who are able to show any flaws in my analyses.
Are you willing to see and recognize that in order to join with Israel and approach the Sanctuary that you must be circumcised in heart and ingest the Passover lamb? That type has met anti-type in the form of the Savior and High Priest Jesus Christ?
I'm writing out my findings cause it doesn't seem like the insights are for my own private interest.
That's how we are lead to all truth, foregoing the urge to accept our own private interests in favor of sound exegesis through the teaching of the Holy Spirit Mike.

Mike, can you point me to any scriptures that show specifically the gentiles are saved "apart" from Israel?
Last edited by RND on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

RND

Post by RND » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Other parts of your disseration Mike that you asked for comment on:
Church

Note that it seems at least a little bit helpful to use the word Ecclesia instead of Church, since the word “Church” gets too much confused with the earthly buildings and organizations. But the word “Ecclesia” maybe could be seen more as the invisible universal Church encompassing all believers. Alas for now, the discussion will use the word “Church.”
The "called out ones." The ekklesia. The church.

Gen 13:4 Unto the place of the altar, which he had made there at the first: and there Abram called on the name of the LORD. - One cannot call on the name of the Lord without the Holy Spirit through the urging of the Lord?

2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
First idea to note is that the kingdom of God never equated to the Church within scriptures.
The "kingdom of God" is always associated with those who He has called "according to his own purpose and grace."

1Pe 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
Now the Church was equated with Jerusalem but mainly in Revelation 21 to 22 after many events of prophecy had occurred.
The "City of Peace" had at it's center the sanctuary. The "New Jerusalem" is patterned with the sanctuary at it's center in heaven, as it was given to Moses. See Numbers 1 & 2.
Then also the Church may not be synonymous with the saints since the saints include believers (people of faith) before the existence of the Church.
If anyone has been "called out" by God by faith through grace they are by definition a member of the church or congregation (gathering) of the Lord.
Many people seem to make a close association between the Church and Israel, that the Church is Israel. Here they see Israel as being the assembly of God's people, which then seems similar to the Church as being the assembly of God's people. Yet a problem occurs with respect to God's faithfulness if it were said that the Church now assumes all the promises made to Israel. Such analysis is done more thoroughly when examining the Romans 11 Olive Tree analogy. The main gist goes to the requirement that a promise be fulfilled to the one to whom it was made. And the promises to Israel were made to Jacob and his descendants. There was no subsequent identification of Gentiles as being children of Jacob.
That's an interesting take on "replacement theology" of which I disagree with myself. But the idea that the "the promises to Israel were made to Jacob and his descendants" seems a little hard to understand in that Jacob is Israel. It would be better to say that the promises to Jacob were made to Israel and his descendants. Semantics? No. Jesus Christ is patterned, or a "type" of Israel.
Maybe one association that works pretty well would be to say that the Church consists of the children of Abraham.
Abram the Gentile? You bet, I'd agree with this for sure. The promises given to Abraham were not given to Abraham's "seeds" as in many, but to Abraham's "seed" as one, and that seed is Jesus Christ.

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RND

Post by RND » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:15 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:RND- Where do you get all this stuff- Is there a bibliography that can go along with your lengthy studies? or do you just extemporaneously start typing. It's been a curiosity.
The Holy Bible and the Strong's Concordance. I read the KJV and NKJV and have a Strong's volume as well as one on the computer and one on the web.

http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebibl ... /index.htm

Karen, if you have a specific topic you were addressing let me know what it is and I'll try to provide a resource.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “General Bible Discussion”