The rest of the world

nancyer

The rest of the world

Post by nancyer » Tue May 24, 2011 12:46 pm

I have a book that summarizes the 66 books of the Bible, who wrote each book, approx. when & where, brief synopsis, that sort of thing. It includes a timeline at the beginning that gives the reader Dates What's happening in the Bible and ...Meanwhile, in the rest of the world.

One entry states (I don't have it in front of me, so I don't know the year) Meanwhile.... Paper was invented in China.

I always thought all the Bible events happened BEFORE anything else anywhere in the world. How did Chineese people come to be? There are other entries as well that I wonder about. I have a deep faith and love God with all my heart, but this train of thought intrigues me.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

steve7150

Re: The rest of the world

Post by steve7150 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm

I always thought all the Bible events happened BEFORE anything else anywhere in the world. How did Chineese people come to be? There are other entries as well that I wonder about. I have a deep faith and love God with all my heart, but this train of thought intrigues me.

I think in Gen 11 it says God scattered everyone all over the world and gave them different languages so they would'nt do the tower of babel rerun. However the internet may become the new Tower of Bable eventually. The bible was probably started around 1500BC initiated by Moses writings so that would be 3,500 years ago. There are differing opinions though on the dating of these events however.

steve

Post by steve » Tue May 24, 2011 6:08 pm

I always thought all the Bible events happened BEFORE anything else anywhere in the world.
The stories of the Bible do not pre-date all other civilizations. Abraham, who is introduced in Genesis 11, lived at a time when Chaldean civilization (his place of origin) was very advanced. He also visited Egypt and encountered Pharaoh there. There were a number of other societies that were very advanced in the days of the earliest stories in the Old Testament.

As we read through the Old Testament, the people of Israel are seen interacting with the Assyrian Empire, the Babylonian Empire, the Persian Empire, and many others. Israel's history was concurrent with (not prior to) other ancient civilizations.

China also existed very early, and its civilization developed during much of the same period during which the Old Testament stories were happening, though the people of Israel had no contact with them (the Chinese) and therefore have no stories about them.

Steve7150 is correct in saying that all of these civilizations arose after Noah's flood, and developed after the people were scattered by God's judgment of the Tower of Babel.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 am

Thank you. I do recall the "scattering of peoples" and differing languages so that puts that in better perspective for me. I'm fascinated with the actual historical aspects of the Bible every bit as much as I get my daily (ok, nearly daily) blessings from His Word.

I also am enjoying this site as well as your radio program, when I can listen to it. Thank you again for your insight.

Bless you always,
Nancy

Return to “General Bible Discussion”