Where did Moses write about Jesus?

Paidion

Where did Moses write about Jesus?

Post by Paidion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Jesus said to the pharisees:

If you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. John 5:46 ESV

Can anyone quote references from the 5 books of Moses in which Moses clearly wrote of Jesus (or the messiah, or the son of God)?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

mattrose

Re: Where did Moses write about Jesus?

Post by mattrose » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:58 pm

D.A. Carson says...

"No specific passage from the book of Moses is mentioned. If a particular one is in view, perhaps it is Dt. 18:15. But it is perhaps more likely that this verse is referring to a certain WAY of reading the books of Moses than to a specific passage."

I would agree with this statement, especially in light of how often the 4th Gospel has Jesus claiming to be the fulfillment of stories from the Pentateuch.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 pm

How about Gen 3.15? Or perhaps the whole sacrificial system in general pointing to redemption from sin and culminating in Jesus sacrifice.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank you for responding, brothers.

Gen 3:15 has been interpreted as being a prophecy about Christ's interaction with Satan. I have long been aware of this, but I am not convinced. I wouldn't be surprised if
Deut 18:15 was actually a prophecy concerning Christ.

Perhaps Acts 3:22,23 thows some light on Christ's words that Moses spoke of Him:

Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you. And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people.’
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Deut 18:15 was actually a prophecy concerning Christ.

Perhaps Acts 3:22,23 thows some light on Christ's words that Moses spoke of Him:

Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you. And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people.’

Paidion,
Nice reference to Acts 3.22 as Peter in speaking about Christ references Duet 18.15 so that verifies that as a Christ prophecy. Also the references to the blessings of Abraham are fulfilled in Christ.

LoveFountain

Post by LoveFountain » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:57 am

Interesting question! In my opinion Jesus comes in the volume of the book, he is the one great subject of the whole Bible.

Perhaps you will consider the following verse and the question, who is the tree of life?

Gen 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. kjv

Bless you,
Love Fountain

LoveFountain

Post by LoveFountain » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:47 am

In my opinion here is another place where Moses wrote about Jesus.

Deut 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

And also,

Ex 12:5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:

Bless you,
Love Fountain

verbatim

Post by verbatim » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:52 am

LoveFountain wrote:Interesting question! In my opinion Jesus comes in the volume of the book, he is the one great subject of the whole Bible.
I agree the Bible is the volume of book as not only by Moses but by all prophets as written in Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall received remission of sins.
Perhaps you will consider the following verse and the question, who is the tree of life?
Jesus is the tree of life, He was the seed which the "Word of God" that incarnate died in the cross and resurrected through or by the glory of the Father.
The tree is planted in Mount of Moriah or Mount Calvary. His incarnation, death and resurrection is the complete glory of the Son of God.
Gen 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life

Paul wrote about the glory of Christ in 2 Corinthians 12:1-4 It is not expedient for me doubtless to visions and revelation of the Lord. v.2 I knew a man in Christ
above fourteen years ago, ( whether in the body; I cannot tell, or whether out of the body I cannot tell, God knoweth;) such a one caught up to the third heaven. v. 3 And I knew such a man ( whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell;) v.4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which is unlawful for a man to utter. It was the tree of life or the glory of the Lord God.

Thank you and God bless.
virgilio
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

Return to “General Bible Discussion”