Does presithood of all = individualism?

21centpilgrim

Does presithood of all = individualism?

Post by 21centpilgrim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 am

I would love some input and thought into this one.
How would you describe the difference between the priesthood of believers and individualism? I believe that you can champion the first without endorsing the second, but I do see how some would make the two equal. I think this is very relevant in our day and age with wanting to come out of 'spiritual covering' atmospheres but not want to embrace the mindset of our modern world in being free to do what ever they want ie. bow to the tyranny of themselves.
thanks.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

verbatim

Re: Does presithood of all = individualism?

Post by verbatim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:55 am

Hello 21centpilgrim greetings ,
I will give a reply according to Scripture and not y my own insight, John 7:16-18 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

v.17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

v.18 He that speak of himself seeketh his own glory; but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness in him.

hope this help.
your brother in Christ,
virgilio
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:50 am

21centpilgrim wrote:I would love some input and thought into this one.
How would you describe the difference between the priesthood of believers and individualism? I believe that you can champion the first without endorsing the second, but I do see how some would make the two equal. I think this is very relevant in our day and age with wanting to come out of 'spiritual covering' atmospheres but not want to embrace the mindset of our modern world in being free to do what ever they want ie. bow to the tyranny of themselves.
thanks.
Hi 21centpilgrim,
What do you mean by 'individualism'? For that matter, how do you define 'priesthood of believers'? And just to be even more annoying, can you tell me a little about 'spiritual covering atmospheres', since I have little experience with that?

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Okay, then, two weeks later, no answers to my questions and only one answer to your OP, so I'm going to plow in with my opinions.

You asked if the priesthood of all believers equates to individualism. I was curious about what each of these terms means to you, but I'll assume my own definitions to form my opinions.

The priesthood of all believers means, to me at least, that each Christian can come before God with boldness. (Ephesians 3:12 Hebrews 4:16) We have one mediator between God and men, the man, Christ Jesus. (1 Timothy 2:5) There is no "priestly caste," and so we are all called to represent God to the world and to pray for people as intercessors. In addition, in my tradition, we are free to administer the ordinances of baptism and communion, if so led.

Can this boldness and responsibility lead to individualism? Yeah, I think it could, if someone is inclined to be self-centered. I'm considering individualism to be that turning into one's own life and leading a 'lone-ranger' style of Christian life — where all that's needed is my Bible and inspiration from the Holy Spirit, and I'll be just fine, thanks. They would be wrong, however, because Paul spoke about the body needing each part (1 Corinthians 12:19-22) and Jesus talked about servanthood (John 13: 12-15) and called loving your neighbor the second great commandment (Mark 12:31) How can we fulfill these great scriptures without being involved in a community of believers? Individualism (when defined as I defined it) is a corruption of the doctrine of the priesthood of believers. We, as priests, serve each other. After all, when Paul lists what is called the five-fold ministry in Ephesians 4:11, he says they were given for the edification of the body of Christ. We need each other to be built up.

You, 21centpilgrim, referenced "'spiritual covering' atmospheres." You called this something that people want to come out from. I asked about these atmospheres because I have no experience there. I researched a bit, however. What I discovered is that in the 1970s a doctrine was formed that requires individual Christians to be submitted and accountable to a leader. Apparently this resulted in bizarre, abusive relationships where every decision, from major to minor ones, had to be approved by the person in authority over you. This created a pyramid type of organization with those at the top being seen as in a class closer to God - the very situation in the Roman Catholic church that the term priesthood of all believers, and the doctrine it labels was refined to address.

When a believer veers wildly from one corrupt doctrine to an equally corrupt, yet opposite, position, this, to me, is an indication of spiritual immaturity which, I believe, is remedied through study and participation in life together with other believers who exhort, edify, and encourage each other.
Last edited by Michelle on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

21centpilgrim

Post by 21centpilgrim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks Michele.Sorry for taking so long to respond. Your definitions of those terms are what I was meaning or getting at.
1 Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood... and Rev. 5:10 and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God. These are some other verses that get at what I think the priesthood of believers refers to as well as what you mentioned. Also, when the curtain was torn from top to bottom upon the death of Christ, it symbolizes free access to God.

Your main conclusion is very good, some times we can react to overbearing, controlling abusive leadership and go to the other extreme of individualism. Some will view coming into the freedom of the truth of the priesthood of every believer is individualism. And some will view moving from individualism and seeing the importance of the body and some necessity of organization in the church with leadership having a biblical place as coming under the control of a man made institution.

I have heard Steve in the past referencing people doing what is right in their own eyes as not necessarily bad because the Holy Spirit can lead people individually. In the OT when the phrase it used it is mostly negative, but I guess that doesn't meant it is always so. One can do what is right in the eyes of the Lord and it can be right in their eyes too because they may have the mind of Christ.

Anyways I don't think that the priesthood of believers = individualism but that it can go there if we are operating out of fear and wounds, and because people really get wounded we need to guard ourselves from going to individualism and that can be as we walk in love and the Holy Spirit. I would also say that the teaching of a believer's conscience factors heavily into this topic too.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”